The Student Room Group

Incomplete combustion? Help?

Hi. My new school just gave me booklets for each of my AS level choices as "pre AS level transition work" which need to be done. I'm currently on the chemistry one and the question says...

"Give an example of where incomplete combustion is used in a laboratory for safety reasons."

I've tried looking for answers yet I can't find any. Searches came up with things like methane creating CO upon incomplete combustion which is harmful.

Any help? Thank you.
Original post by MathsHater
Hi. My new school just gave me booklets for each of my AS level choices as "pre AS level transition work" which need to be done. I'm currently on the chemistry one and the question says...

"Give an example of where incomplete combustion is used in a laboratory for safety reasons."

I've tried looking for answers yet I can't find any. Searches came up with things like methane creating CO upon incomplete combustion which is harmful.

Any help? Thank you.

bunsen flame becomes clearly visible (safe) when there is a limited supply of air ...
Reply 2
When you close the air hole on a Bunsen burner the flame turns yellow. This is because the combustion is incomplete as there are particles of soot glowing in the flame. This is a safety measure as we close the air hole, when the Bunsen is not in use, so that we can see the flame so we do not actually burn ourselves. There is not enough air for complete combustion.
Reply 3
Original post by charco
bunsen flame becomes clearly visible (safe) when there is a limited supply of air ...

If you want to be more specific, you would say limited supply of oxygen.

Quick Reply

Latest