The Student Room Group

Ucas points

If you miss your uni offer by only 10 Ucas points will the uni still let you in?
Original post by Clin96
If you miss your uni offer by only 10 Ucas points will the uni still let you in?

That's an impossible question to answer as it depends on the course, the university, the person and the performance of other applicants that year. Sometimes is the best answer you can get.
Original post by Clin96

To the best of my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong, you can't miss it by 10 UCAS points? The grades at A-Level move up in 20s on the UCAS point system.

If you miss it by any UCAS points, the uni may refuse entry. For example, if you were expected ABB and attained ABC with 1 UMS mark off a B in your C, the uni could still reject you as you missed their 'minimum requirements'. In practice, however, the uni is more likely to accept you the closer you are to meeting the offer. It all depends on how your peers and other applicants performed as they use contextualised data to process and select applicants who missed the grades.
Reply 3
Original post by danavfc96
To the best of my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong, you can't miss it by 10 UCAS points? The grades at A-Level move up in 20s on the UCAS point system.

If you miss it by any UCAS points, the uni may refuse entry. For example, if you were expected ABB and attained ABC with 1 UMS mark off a B in your C, the uni could still reject you as you missed their 'minimum requirements'. In practice, however, the uni is more likely to accept you the closer you are to meeting the offer. It all depends on how your peers and other applicants performed as they use contextualised data to process and select applicants who missed the grades.

I'm doing 2 A levels and 1 As. And I've already got one As level at an E. I think I'll get BBC this year so that's 230 points because of my AS then my 20 points from my E so that's 250 but the uni I want to go to wants 260 so i was just wondering if they'd still take me. I'm considering taking up one more AS or re sitting some units.
Original post by Clin96
I'm doing 2 A levels and 1 As. And I've already got one As level at an E. I think I'll get BBC this year so that's 230 points because of my AS then my 20 points from my E so that's 250 but the uni I want to go to wants 260 so i was just wondering if they'd still take me. I'm considering taking up one more AS or re sitting some units.

please forgive my stupidity, I totally forgot about AS grades carrying through! :colondollar:

Are you SURE that your university will accept all 4 grades? As a standard rule they make 3 grade offers. I'd advise you to check this directly with your uni before proceeding unless it explicitly states so on the prospectus or website.

As I said, contextualised data is used so it depends on other people's results. Is the subject you wish to study one of those predicted Bs? I'd recommend pushing for an A in that as this will strengthen your application further and put you above other applicants who may or may not miss out by the 10 UCAS points you fear you will. The weighting of the UCAS points makes a difference in their decision. If they have someone like yourself who got an A in their chosen subject against someone who got a B, given no other differences they would most likely accept you over your opponent. The same applies for a B vs a C etc etc.

As I said, I can only speak from my own experience so for example I study French and German, and want to go and read French and German at uni, so these grades are obviously more important than the 3rd, irrelevant subject, although they still look for all round intelligence.

I would also recommend bolstering the EC side of your application as this makes a difference for unis (from my own experience.) For me this was gaining work experience in French- and German-speaking environments, as well as in France and Germany, spending time in the country, helping out with language club, etc etc. Also try and chum up to your teachers as their references are important in a UCAS application!

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by danavfc96
please forgive my stupidity, I totally forgot about AS grades carrying through! :colondollar:

Are you SURE that your university will accept all 4 grades? As a standard rule they make 3 grade offers. I'd advise you to check this directly with your uni before proceeding unless it explicitly states so on the prospectus or website.

As I said, contextualised data is used so it depends on other people's results. Is the subject you wish to study one of those predicted Bs? I'd recommend pushing for an A in that as this will strengthen your application further and put you above other applicants who may or may not miss out by the 10 UCAS points you fear you will. The weighting of the UCAS points makes a difference in their decision. If they have someone like yourself who got an A in their chosen subject against someone who got a B, given no other differences they would most likely accept you over your opponent. The same applies for a B vs a C etc etc.

As I said, I can only speak from my own experience so for example I study French and German, and want to go and read French and German at uni, so these grades are obviously more important than the 3rd, irrelevant subject, although they still look for all round intelligence.

I would also recommend bolstering the EC side of your application as this makes a difference for unis (from my own experience.) For me this was gaining work experience in French- and German-speaking environments, as well as in France and Germany, spending time in the country, helping out with language club, etc etc. Also try and chum up to your teachers as their references are important in a UCAS application!

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Thanks for the info that's really helpful! Yes I checked with the uni and it's a point based offer and they accept 2 A levels and 2AS's. I want to study forensic science and one of my B's is in biology but like you said I should try and push for an A so I'm going to re sit 2 units of my bio AS to try and push the grade up.

Quick Reply