The Student Room Group

ran out of stuff to write on economics personal statement....

Ive only written 400 words so far, ive convered why i like the subject, what my favourite modules are and why, the transferrable skills i have that will aid my learning in economics. My extra-curricular learning outside of the classroom to show initiative. I cant think of anything else to write...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doob
Ive only written 400 words so far, ive convered why i like the subject, what my favourite modules are and why, the transferrable skills i have that will aid my learning in economics. My extra-curricular learning outside of the classroom to show initiative. I cant think of anything else to write...

What specifically did you write in why you like the subject? You could probably add to it a bit.
Reply 2
Imagine the rest of the PS is actually an essay question entitled "Tell me why you're awesome" and take it from there.
Don't panic, it's so much easier to add words than to have to cut words which is at the stage I'm at now..
Original post by Doob

You don't comment on your A level modules =/

Try and do some research on an economics topic that interests you, comment on it, and explain how you are the perfect person to do an economics degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Alex Doran
What specifically did you write in why you like the subject? You could probably add to it a bit.

I dont want to share exactly what i wrote.

I went over my favourite module, macro-economics and why it is my favourite, economies of scale and agglomeration. I wrote about how i like how economics is relevant to our daily lives, such as the effect that interest and inflation rates have on consumers, and how i enjoy looking deeper at these issues.

^This was in 1 paragraph
Original post by Doob
I dont want to share exactly what i wrote.

I went over my favourite module, macro-economics and why it is my favourite, economies of scale and agglomeration. I wrote about how i like how economics is relevant to our daily lives, such as the effect that interest and inflation rates have on consumers, and how i enjoy looking deeper at these issues.

^This was in 1 paragraph

How many characters (with spaces) does your personal statement come to?
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum
You don't comment on your A level modules =/

Try and do some research on an economics topic that interests you, comment on it, and explain how you are the perfect person to do an economics degree.

****, thats like half my statement so far...

i was reading through statements from the library here, many people commented on the skills they got from other subjects they were studying and how they will make them better at their chosen degree.
Reply 8
Original post by toronto353
How many characters (with spaces) does your personal statement come to?

2,349 with spaces
1,982 without spaces
Original post by Doob
2,349 with spaces
1,982 without spaces

Have you included any references to books you've read, discussed theories within them which are relevant to the issues raised in your personal statement and said whether you agree with those theories or not?
Original post by Doob
****, thats like half my statement so far...

i was reading through statements from the library here, many people commented on the skills they got from other subjects they were studying and how they will make them better at their chosen degree.

That's because they had no idea what else to write.

They've heard it all before, so try and be original with your research and thinking.
Reply 11
Have you included any references to books you've read, discussed theories within them which are relevant to the issues raised in your personal statement and said whether you agree with those theories or not?

i referred to a magazine i read and some theories from it, i said why i liked them (business and micro-economics orientated),

i havent written about my opinion on them yet, so i guess i should
Original post by Doob
i referred to a magazine i read and some theories from it, i said why i liked them (business and micro-economics orientated),

i havent written about my opinion on them yet, so i guess i should

Opinions are good and what about books? Many candidates will have read books on economics as well and it's worthwhile having a look at some to see what interests you. It also allows you to then compare and contrast the opinions of two different scholars, taking your statement IMO, to the next level. Take a look at some of these example statements to see what other people wrote about.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:colone:conomics_Personal_Statements
Reply 13
Original post by Doob
Did you show that you`ve researched the course? Like say what modules/topics you are looking forward to studying at the degree level?
Reply 14
Original post by Mav455
Did you show that you`ve researched the course? Like say what modules/topics you are looking forward to studying at the degree level?

nope, i will though,

thanks for the advice
Original post by Mav455

While I'm sure that economics courses broadly cover some similar material, there's no way that they'll completely overlap and so there's no way that OP could do this with any kind of depth other than perhaps 'I'm looking forward to studying macro in more depth', unless he's applying to only one university.
Reply 16
Original post by Doob
nope, i will though,

thanks for the advice
No problem :smile:
Also, TSR has a collection of Personal Statements for different subjects, dont forget to check those out. Also, if you have any work experience, put that in too. Even if its not relevant, say what skills you learnt that you can contribute to the degree. And any school/college achievements, for example, I did coursework for one of my subjects at A-Level, where we wrote an article of a topic of our choice, so i said how that enhanced my writing and research skills
Good luck with your statement :smile:
Reply 17
While I'm sure that economics courses broadly cover some similar material, there's no way that they'll completely overlap and so there's no way that OP could do this with any kind of depth other than perhaps 'I'm looking forward to studying macro in more depth', unless he's applying to only one university.
no some degrees have some topics in common, i said im looking forward to econometrics for mine :smile:
Original post by Mav455
No problem :smile:
Also, TSR has a collection of Personal Statements for different subjects, dont forget to check those out. Also, if you have any work experience, put that in too. Even if its not relevant, say what skills you learnt that you can contribute to the degree. And any school/college achievements, for example, I did coursework for one of my subjects at A-Level, where we wrote an article of a topic of our choice, so i said how that enhanced my writing and research skills
Good luck with your statement :smile:

Again there is no point adding work experience if it's not relevant because it doesn't add anything and, as you say, it's not relevant. School/ college achievements should be put in the reference as it looks less boastful. Also, you shouldn't state what skills (such as writing and researching skills) you've learned as your statement should show this. My rule is that you should never state things like that, your statement should show it without you ever needing to say it.
Original post by Mav455
no some degrees have some topics in common, i said im looking forward to econometrics for mine :smile:

Yes they do, but ultimately the space putting the rather empty sentence that you're looking forward to topic X at university would be better spent showing that you know a bit about that topic through your current research into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending