The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Couple questions

Hi there, i have a couple questions about the open university study...

I'm doing an open degree, got like 190 points so far.

I wanted to know, on my way to obtaining a degree, do i also get awarded other qualifications during the progress? I.e. 120 points = open diploma.... and if so, do they get sent automatically or what?

The second question is about end of module exams. I've never done one with the OU and wanted someone to tell me what they're like! Is it multiple choice or writing essays (how many? how difficult?)

Any answers would be great x
No, you don't get other qualifications along the way. And the type of questions asked in exams depend on the module - if you're talking a module with an exam there's a sample paper provided to give you an idea what to expect, and you can often buy past papers from the OUSA website which help you prepare.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Well I did. I have done 3 separate qualifications in different areas of study over 10 years of study with the OU. With about the same amount of units as you. Not including transfer credit. You can register OU module completed credit against a relevant or OPEN Cert He, OPEN Dip or Open Degree. There is a percentage limit and you need unique study allocated to each qualification. I do a qualification then have long breaks and return to choose another. I am a mature student btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krumbly
Well I did. I have done 3 separate qualifications in different areas of study over 10 years of study with the OU. With about the same amount of units as you. Not including transfer credit. You can register OU module completed credit against a relevant or OPEN Cert He, OPEN Dip or Open Degree. There is a percentage limit and you need unique study allocated to each qualification. I do a qualification then have long breaks and return to choose another. I am a mature student btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think there was a thread on OUSA matters forum that it's changed and they are phasing out getting the intermediate qualifications in run up to final goal qualification (degree). Unless you change your goal qualification. Could be wrong though as they keep changing everything it's hard to keep up!
Reply 4
I've completed my Level 2 studies towards my Open degree, I've now deregistered from that pathway in order to pursue a Professional Certificate in Accounting and they haven't sent me anything to show what I've achieved. I might ask them about it actually, I'm not entirely sure I'll be going back to my Open degree.
As for exams, I've only had one module with an exam so far and a few months before the exam they provided everyone with a specimen exam paper to prepare us for the kind of questions we might come across and what format the paper would take. Before you go into the exam you'll be briefed on the format (eg whether all questions need to be answered or just a selection) and how much time you'll have as this will help you to prepare.
Reply 5
Do you know much you need to write per essay question?

Quick Reply

Latest