The Student Room Group

How are you going to store your food? do people HAVE to share?

Scroll to see replies

Quick question, what are you going to do if you majorly get on someone's nerves and they do actually start spitting in your milk behind your back? Yes they are probably as immature but in the end, you're drinking the milk and are the one who as aggravated the other petson that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alumna
No I don't. If they are allergic then it is their responsibility LOL

Original post by Alumna

But I'm not like that
If I want to buy soy milk then I will

Original post by Alumna

I do not care about anyones allergies, however I will not cause them harm. [bit obvious]

You said you won't cause them harm, yet you won't ask if they have allergies and will just buy soy/almond milk anyways?
Original post by Alumna
I know how to handle the situation if someone was to use my milk/stuff without asking.

I rather just spit in it and then they can use as much as they want
(ew)

... I would watch you do this, then ask if I can drink it, then if you let me I would chug the whole bottle in front of you.

If I were bothered by a little spit I wouldn't have been my regimental freckles champion.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=game%20of%20freckles
Reply 63
Original post by Alumna
that's inconvenient
there is a fridge in kitchen

If you don't want your stuff used, you don't really have a choice.
Reply 64
Original post by Ruffiio
:facepalm:the idea of buying a mini fridge, that involves spending money, something a lot of students don't have nor want to spend a lot of. Ridiculous suggestion.

If they have enough for booze, a mini-fridge isn't much of a stretch.
Reply 65
Original post by Exon
If you don't want your stuff used, you don't really have a choice.

Not aLlowed
Original post by historynerdy
You said you won't cause them harm, yet you won't ask if they have allergies and will just buy soy/almond milk anyways?

Would it really make sense for a person with a serious nut allergy to be sharing a kitchen anyway? They'd have to be relying on every other person to check everything they buy for nuts (even take-aways) both for ingredients and 'main contain traces of', and unless you're used to it, it's easy to forget. There'll also be people who either don't really care about the allergy or don't understand how serious it is. Of course we should consider people's allergies and avoid eating those foods around them, but it would still be a big risk for a person with a serious allergy.

Regarding soy, as I understand it, soy allergies are rarely serious and many children grow out of it; I think nut allergies are more common. But just as with nuts, a serious soy allergy would require people to check everything they buy. Quite frankly, I think it would be irresponsible for a person with a serious allergy to go into a shared kitchen with strangers unless that was their only option. It would be much easier to accomodate someone with a strawberry allergy, for example, as strawberries aren't used in very many foods.
bring a black marker with you to mark whats yours like milk and butter in the fridge, each have your own cupboard and as for freezer, see what happens, worse comes to worse buy freezer bags and use those as they can be squished a lot more easily. but i spent 4 years sharing and it was never an issue.
I also agree with alumna and pianokey, they shouldn't be in shared accommodation. Not every one has time to be responsible for everyone..
Reply 69
Original post by PianoKeys4
Would it really make sense for a person with a serious nut allergy to be sharing a kitchen anyway? They'd have to be relying on every other person to check everything they buy for nuts (even take-aways) both for ingredients and 'main contain traces of', and unless you're used to it, it's easy to forget. There'll also be people who either don't really care about the allergy or don't understand how serious it is. Of course we should consider people's allergies and avoid eating those foods around them, but it would still be a big risk for a person with a serious allergy.

Regarding soy, as I understand it, soy allergies are rarely serious and many children grow out of it; I think nut allergies are more common. But just as with nuts, a serious soy allergy would require people to check everything they buy. Quite frankly, I think it would be irresponsible for a person with a serious allergy to go into a shared kitchen with strangers unless that was their only option. It would be much easier to accomodate someone with a strawberry allergy, for example, as strawberries aren't used in very many foods.

I agree. Allergens like nuts are often found in the most unexpected products and it's easy to miss. I would certainly be considerate and try very hard if someone had an allergy, but if it's severe you could bring in allergens without realising (we once almost ate cherry bakewells in a kitchen with a friend who has a peanut allergy, as didn't realist these particular ones substituted almond for peanut...), and it also might cause real issues for others with restricted diets but not allergies, so there are a limited number of things they can eat.

Certainly I don't think it makes sense to go round all your new flatmates and ask if they are allergic to everything before buying it, as some are suggesting. If someone has an allergy they should simply tell people as they move in (by the way, in allergic to nuts), not the other way round... to expect everyone to hold off all shopping until they've moved in then come specifically to ask you is ludicrous.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest