The Student Room Group

Did you get a reward for your GCSE results?

Did you get a reward (money or something else) for getting good GCSE results?
Also, what is your opinion of parents using rewards as an incentive to try hard?

I wasn't expecting anything really, the night before results I was told I could pick what to have for dinner (KFC! :biggrin:), but I got other stuff too that I wasn't expecting at all. It was a nice surprise.:^_^:

(Also, I know there was a thread similar to this early last year, but it was focused more on just money and how much of it is appropriate, so I thought I'd do a more general one, if that's ok - I'm fairly new here :tongue:)

Scroll to see replies

Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Nope, not really xD I got my mum crying on the phone after hearing my results and then countless phonecalls from relatives which mainly consisted of screaming down the phone :lol:
I'm going to my Gran's tonight and she's invited the entire family round to celebrate my results. We're having pizza for dinner (my choice). My uncle has vowed to get me anything I want :lol:
I got my GCSE results last year but as a reward for doing well I got an iPod (mainly because my mp3 player had been broken for a while) which I wasn't expecting. I also went out with a meal with my parents and brother. This happened around a month or so after results though so it wasn't an immediate reward.

I don't think it's a bad thing that parents use rewards as an incentive to work hard but I think people should find other things to motivate them to work rather than expecting a reward every time they achieve something. Acknowledging the hard work that went into getting results is important but that doesn't necessarily mean that people have to be showered with gifts.
Sister got 1.3k yeah crazy
Reply 5
I didn't get anything from my family, then again I am 40 :eek:. Making my grandma really proud was enough.

My friend took me out for a meal and I got the outstanding determination award from college and £25 voucher.
Original post by bittr n swt
Sister got 1.3k yeah crazy

wat.

Original post by thechemistress
Nope, not really xD I got my mum crying on the phone after hearing my results and then countless phonecalls from relatives which mainly consisted of screaming down the phone :lol:
I'm going to my Gran's tonight and she's invited the entire family round to celebrate my results. We're having pizza for dinner (my choice). My uncle has vowed to get me anything I want :lol:

Well if your uncle has vowed to get you anything, make sure to get something really expensive :wink: ;D ;D ;D :colone:

jkjkjkjk XDXDXDXD
I got £100, chocolate, alcohol and a meal of my choice :biggrin: I always feel guilty when my parents get me things though, does anyone else feel like that?
I do think that hard work should be rewarded though, but I would prefer to be rewarded with something that would last longer: food disappears within an hour in my house.
Original post by Elliwhi
wat.

Well if your uncle has vowed to get you anything, make sure to get something really expensive :wink: ;D ;D ;D :colone:

jkjkjkjk XDXDXDXD

Yup. 12A*s...£100 per A* plus money from aunt and uncle.
Original post by Elliwhi
wat.

jkjkjkjk XDXDXDXD

Obviously :wink: I'm thinking a new laptop :wink: :wink:
I wasn't expecting anything, but they did get me some new clothes as I did better than they expected :wink: it was great, though the real reward is knowing I can do the a levels I want to do for uni and not having to retake anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Yup. 12A*s...£100 per A* plus money from aunt and uncle.

Holy **** that's crazy
For every A* I get £200. However, if I get an A or less I get nothing :frown:.I remember last year I missed out the £200 by 1 mark in statistics (the coursework let me down :'()
Original post by Aisa
Holy **** that's crazy

She's always been a smart ass and I'm quite annoyed that parents just threw her that money. She doesn't need motivation she has self motivation
Reply 14
Got a giant Millie's cookie and went out for a meal, same as this year for my AS levels :biggrin:
Original post by catrinana
Also, what is your opinion of parents using rewards as an incentive to try hard?

I wasn't expecting anything really, the night before results I was told I could pick what to have for dinner (KFC! :biggrin:), but I got other stuff too that I wasn't expecting at all. It was a nice surprise.:^_^:

(Also, I know there was a thread similar to this early last year, but it was focused more on just money and how much of it is appropriate, so I thought I'd do a more general one, if that's ok - I'm fairly new here :tongue:)

My grandmother gave me £500, my parents gave me £80, and my brother gave me £20. I also went to Nandos. This was partly because I did much better than anybody expected (and well on a national scale), but also in my grandmother's case, because her other grandchildren had been given similar amounts for various other occasions.
I don't think parents should use rewards as an incentive to work hard. Grades should be a result of self-motivated hard work, not bribery. What's the kid going to do when they get to uni or when they go into the world of work? I don't think it's the right way to get somebody to work hard.
Original post by catrinana

My parents should be giving me £100+ for my results :biggrin:

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. When you get a job, you get paid for your work. People have the impression that we only do it ONLY for the reward, no we do it the good grades as well, the reward is a really just a bonus.
Reply 18
She's always been a smart ass and I'm quite annoyed that parents just threw her that money. She doesn't need motivation she has self motivation

Did they give you money too or not?
Noo xD My family took me out for dinner but that was it really. I don't feel like I should be getting something in return for my grades - they were my own goal, and reaching them was enough for me :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest