The Student Room Group

Which Sixth form?

Hi guys,
I have applied to two sixth forms (Henrietta Barnett and St Olave's, Orpington) and both of them have offered me a place, but I am confused about which sixth form to go to.
HB has better results, however SO seems to have a better science and maths department and my options are mainly towards maths.
However, if I go to SO I will have to do 5 subjects while in HB I will have to do 4...
Which one should I go to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blu Bubbles
Hi guys,
I have applied to two sixth forms (Henrietta Barnett and St Olave's, Orpington) and both of them have offered me a place, but I am confused about which sixth form to go to.
HB has better results, however SO seems to have a better science and maths department and my options are mainly towards maths.
However, if I go to SO I will have to do 5 subjects while in HB I will have to do 4...
Which one should I go to?

Hey, what subjects are you taking? And I personally believe you should go SO, they have very good connections when it comes to unis.. Top ones and if you are thinking of doing a science or maths at imperial, you have a better chance of getting accepted because the admission offices went to SO and he visits every year. Plus they have the best results consistently.
Colchester Grammar :wink:
I got into HBS too, and I'm not sure what to do! I wanna do maths, bio, chem, and classics (But theyre not doing classics, so now i have to do government and politics.)
Where do you think you're most likely to go?
Reply 4
Original post by germanshepherd_
Hey, what subjects are you taking? And I personally believe you should go SO, they have very good connections when it comes to unis.. Top ones and if you are thinking of doing a science or maths at imperial, you have a better chance of getting accepted because the admission offices went to SO and he visits every year. Plus they have the best results consistently.

I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and economics
Oh wow...cos I am planning to apply to russel group universities...so i guess that will be a point to consider. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by nerdygeek101
I got into HBS too, and I'm not sure what to do! I wanna do maths, bio, chem, and classics (But theyre not doing classics, so now i have to do government and politics.)
Where do you think you're most likely to go?

Oh..I think I am more likely to go to HBS because it's closer to my house an travelling to SO may be quite hard..which sixth form did you finally decide?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by xNcDianna
Colchester Grammar :wink:

I applied there as well...but it takes me 2 hours to get there...we considered moving there but that would to be too chaotic especially in yr 12...
Reply 7
Sorry for the late replies guys :frown:
I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and economics
Oh wow...cos I am planning to apply to russel group universities...so i guess that will be a point to consider. :smile:

Ooohh, hard subjects, but you will be fine. And yeah, do consider SO, its really good. :smile:
Reply 9
Ooohh, hard subjects, but you will be fine. And yeah, do consider SO, its really good. :smile:

Yeahh....:P what about you?
Yeahh....:P what about you?

I am a year 11 now, but I will take maths, chemistry, physics and history, I bet you would be wondering, how do I know this? Well I got 3 older siblings who have been to sixth form and one of them is now currently at newstead wood school doing A2, she has got close connection with SO and she does all sciences and maths.
I am a year 11 now, but I will take maths, chemistry, physics and history, I bet you would be wondering, how do I know this? Well I got 3 older siblings who have been to sixth form and one of them is now currently at newstead wood school doing A2, she has got close connection with SO and she does all sciences and maths.

Oh! I see...lol I applied to Newstead too :P
Oh! I see...lol I applied to Newstead too :P

Oooh, so are you going to SO now?
Oooh, so are you going to SO now?

Noo :frown: I'm going to Henrietta Barnett...its closer..but they aren't helping me prepare for maths olympiads...or STEP :O - i kinda feel like i want to go to SO (although they might not accept me now) idk i guess its "for the best" or whatever
Noo :frown: I'm going to Henrietta Barnett...its closer..but they aren't helping me prepare for maths olympiads...or STEP :O - i kinda feel like i want to go to SO (although they might not accept me now) idk i guess its "for the best" or whatever

Magnesium
x

Magnesium goes to St Olaves - She might be able to help! :tongue:
Original post by Decerto
Magnesium goes to St Olaves - She might be able to help! :tongue:

oo..thanx...but I dont think its possible now(my parents wont let me anyway..) :frown: thanx anywho :smile:
oo..thanx...but I dont think its possible now(my parents wont let me anyway..) :frown: thanx anywho :smile:

All the best :smile:
I have a few friends who went st olaves (4/5). All of them are heading off to Oxbridge but there's no cause and effect there
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I have a few friends who went st olaves (4/5). All of them are heading off to Oxbridge but there's no cause and effect there

woaahh...I really feel going to St Olaves at the moment... :tongue:

You can't always rely on teachers - they can either be very good help/use or dare I say it s***. You're better off at learning for it yourself :smile: But best of luck and don't worry you get there. Only Believeeeeeee ;']

Quick Reply

Latest