The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Non-Drinkers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kathiye
That sounds like fun! How busy were the acoustic nights etc.? Do people tend to go alone to these events or in groups? I'm just worried that I won't know anyone there if all of my flatmates are going clubbing. :colondollar: I agree with you about Bowland Bar - it seems a lot more cosy than the others.

You don't seem to have many questions. Jk. :wink:
They weren't crowded but the crowd was good. There are plenty of tables/sofas, plus there's the bar area and then there are billiard tables too. And more benches outside. :wink:
People tend to go with groups of friends - one friend is enough too. Just see if they're free and go with them!
Don't worry about all your flatmates going clubbing, if you have at least one friend, you can be introduced to their friends. You'll make friends in your flat, in societies, in your course, in your seminar. Endless possibilities. :biggrin:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hey all, nice to see a thread like this being active. I'll probably go to a club or something during freshers week but I won't be drinking. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with others drinking, I just personally haven't been clubbing at all so its all new. Anyone at County? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's nice to see others who aren't hugely into drinking.. makes me a little less nervous for freshers!

I'll probably go to a bar / club if my flatmates want to go (to get to know each other) during freshers but I won't really be drinking much.. and I have no experience with clubbing whatsoever!

I'll be at Cartmel :h:
Reply 23
I'm not keen on clubs at all! I'm glad there's a thread like this too. I'll be in Bowland. So what subject is everyone doing? :smile:
^ I'm majoring in Psychology! :]
Original post by zsbc123
I'm not keen on clubs at all! I'm glad there's a thread like this too. I'll be in Bowland. So what subject is everyone doing? :smile:

Yay, another Bowlander! :biggrin: I'm doing Natural Sciences, what about you?
Reply 26
Another Bowlander, and I'm called Katherine too! :biggrin: I'm doing physics. You're not in Halls by any chance, are you? :smile:
Reply 27
Wait, is natural sciences a mix of all three? If it is, I might see you in some of my lectures! :smile:
Original post by zsbc123
Wait, is natural sciences a mix of all three? If it is, I might see you in some of my lectures! :smile:

Seriously? That makes three of us! At least mine is spelt Kathryn :tongue: I'm in tower, actually. Natural sciences is the awkward degree where you get to pick and choose what you do, usually taking three sciences in first year and 2 in second. Not too different from the major/minor system to be honest! But I'm doing chemistry and biology, so sadly I don't think we'll be in any lectures together unless you're doing a minor with me. D:
Reply 29
Original post by Kathiye
Seriously? That makes three of us! At least mine is spelt Kathryn :tongue: I'm in tower, actually. Natural sciences is the awkward degree where you get to pick and choose what you do, usually taking three sciences in first year and 2 in second. Not too different from the major/minor system to be honest! But I'm doing chemistry and biology, so sadly I don't think we'll be in any lectures together unless you're doing a minor with me. D:

Gosh, already teaming up! :smile: Nice to see all of you keeping this thread active.

Seriously? No one else in Lonsdale? Is it that unpopular? Sigh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Hey there guys, second year here. Yeah, there'll be plenty of non drinking events on during the week, which I think you'll be able to find here: http://lusu.co.uk/happening/events/

At the same time though, freshers week very much has a party vibe so don't expect a huge amount of effort put into the events lacking in alcohol. Some events last year were cancelled altogether during the week. Don't think this is indicative though, there's plenty more things throughout the year and just focus on having fun in your first week, because the next thing you know you'll be thrown into work and have no time. :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by Tom_Anks
I don't drink at all, I'm glad that this thread exists! All but one of my friends drink at the moment so it will be a relief to meet more people similar to myself.

What college have you got in to?

Hi Tom, we also have occasional drinkers on this thread, but you get the idea :smile: Freshers week has plenty of non- drinking events (click on the link above by Lorox) from acoustic nights to trips around the town.

I'm in Lonsdale (neither of my choices actually :/ ) and from the looks of it, a very unpopular college haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Lorox
Hey there guys, second year here. Yeah, there'll be plenty of non drinking events on during the week, which I think you'll be able to find here: http://lusu.co.uk/happening/events/

At the same time though, freshers week very much has a party vibe so don't expect a huge amount of effort put into the events lacking in alcohol. Some events last year were cancelled altogether during the week. Don't think this is indicative though, there's plenty more things throughout the year and just focus on having fun in your first week, because the next thing you know you'll be thrown into work and have no time. :tongue:

Thanks for the link Lorox. Hopefully nothing gets cancelled this year :smile:

Are these just Freshers events or do the societies continue this throughout the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
It varies from society to society, some will have events all the time, some will have end of term meals, and some will just be little societies that don't really have meetups as such (the 20 minutes society comes to mind).

Your college will also have events running occasionally throughout the week, usually at their respective bar, but don't feel restricted to your college; After freshers week the whole college mentality goes away a bit and you can drift wherever you want to go.
Reply 34
Thanks for the link Lorox! All those events are in Furness college though, is there a similar page for all the other colleges? Or can you go even if you're not Furness? :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Kathiye

No, I'm not doing a minor :frown: That system does sound kind of complicated, I don't think I get any choices in my first year!

Is anyone from Lancaster? Or nearby? I'll be so completely lost, maybe one of the town trips would be useful, find out where things are :smile:
Reply 36
Oh, and has anyone got their university username and password yet? Looking at the preregistration checklist it seems like I should have it by now :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by zsbc123
Thanks for the link Lorox! All those events are in Furness college though, is there a similar page for all the other colleges? Or can you go even if you're not Furness? :smile:

It depends on the event, when you arrive you'll get a wrist band and some college events will require the band, but that's about it.

As for the only events being Furness so far, my guess is only Furness has announced their events so far, or there's been some muck up on the site.
Reply 38
Original post by bubblering
Gosh, already teaming up! :smile: Nice to see all of you keeping this thread active.

Seriously? No one else in Lonsdale? Is it that unpopular? Sigh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally found someone in Lonsdale :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by Jennizha
Finally found someone in Lonsdale :wink:

Hahaha Hello! Think we're a rare species? ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending