The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Non-Drinkers

Hi everyone,

This thread is for all those, like me, who don't drink and don't really like the parties. Fresher's week isn't all about getting drunk, there are many fun things to do so it'd still be memorable for those who hate clubbing/are non-drinkers/introverts.

I'm starting this September and just thought it'd be nice to get to know people like me.

Scroll to see replies

Don't think you're alone, many societies hold non drinking events. I don't plan on clubbing, may attend a bar crawl every now and then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
You have it all planned! I heard they have taster trips to the Lake District or something similar. Might pop into one :smile:

Are you an undergraduate?
Reply 3
I was thinking the Lake District trip sounded nice :smile: It's refreshing to see a page like this pop up. I don't drink at all and was worried I might feel a little out of place during freshers week!
Reply 4
I'll have a drink every now and then, but I'm not too bothered about clubbing.. Glad to see I'm not the only one! A Lake District trip sounds good, hopefully there'll be plenty of non-drinking things to do!:smile:
Reply 5
I don't really like clubbing and I've never really drank before. I think I'll give it a bit of a go in freshers week depending on what the people I know are doing, but I'd definitely rather be at events with stuff to do other than drinking :smile: I really want to go on the Lake District trip!
There are a couple of Freshers trips on this year - Blackpool Pleasure Beach, the Illuminations, a tour of the Lancaster Castle. :smile:
Regardless of whether it's Freshers Week though there are plenty of events on campus for quiet, cosy nights in like live acoustic music nights. A magician came last year to Bowland Bar which was entertaining. I recall a board games night too which sounds cheesy, I know, but it's a nice way to get to know people. There's always the LU Cinema with £2/£3 tickets.

Once societies start meeting up, I'm sure there'll be plenty to do! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Mochassassin
There are a couple of Freshers trips on this year - Blackpool Pleasure Beach, the Illuminations, a tour of the Lancaster Castle. :smile:
Regardless of whether it's Freshers Week though there are plenty of events on campus for quiet, cosy nights in like live acoustic music nights. A magician came last year to Bowland Bar which was entertaining. I recall a board games night too which sounds cheesy, I know, but it's a nice way to get to know people. There's always the LU Cinema with £2/£3 tickets.

Once societies start meeting up, I'm sure there'll be plenty to do! :smile:

Sounds fantastic! :smile: Still one month away though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Which colleges are you all in btw? I'm not entirely sure about the Lake District trip. It was on the Fresher's booklet last year. Let's hope they're continuing it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblering
Sounds fantastic! :smile: Still one month away though

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true! Some people are leaving in two weeks and we've still got five. It's worth the wait though. :smile:

I'm in Bowland, by the way. What about you?
Reply 10
That's true! Some people are leaving in two weeks and we've still got five. It's worth the wait though. :smile:

Hahaha yes October for us! Bowland is the central one isn't it? I'm in Lonsdale, bit of trek everyday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in Bowland too :biggrin:
Original post by Kathiye
I'm in Bowland too :biggrin:

Awesome! Where are you staying? I haven't spoken to you on Facebook by any chance, have I? :smile:
Awesome! Where are you staying? I haven't spoken to you on Facebook by any chance, have I? :smile:

I just looked at your post history and I think we've spoken both on here and on facebook :colondollar: I'm in tower, which I think is why we were talking.
Original post by Kathiye
I just looked at your post history and I think we've spoken both on here and on facebook :colondollar: I'm in tower, which I think is why we were talking.

I think I've spoken to a Kathryn on Facebook! :smile:
Yeah, that's probably why! I'm in the Tower too; so excited.
I think I've spoken to a Kathryn on Facebook! :smile:
Yeah, that's probably why! I'm in the Tower too; so excited.

Yep, there's both a Kathryn and a Katherine who seem to be in the tower. I'm the Kathryn. :smile: So excited too! I just want uni to start already. But, honestly, I'm terrified at the same time.
Original post by Kathiye
Yep, there's both a Kathryn and a Katherine who seem to be in the tower. I'm the Kathryn. :smile: So excited too! I just want uni to start already. But, honestly, I'm terrified at the same time.

Kathryn Williams? :smile:

Nothing to be terrified about - I seem to be the agony aunt regarding this, haha. It's a lot of fun without the drinking and partying. If you seem unsure about anything, feel free to message me! :smile:
Kathryn Williams? :smile:

Nothing to be terrified about - I seem to be the agony aunt regarding this, haha. It's a lot of fun without the drinking and partying. If you seem unsure about anything, feel free to message me! :smile:

Yep :smile: You started a different course last year, right? I'm not THAT worried, since everyone I've spoken to has luckily been really nice. What did you do in freshers last year?
Original post by Kathiye
Yep :smile: You started a different course last year, right? I'm not THAT worried, since everyone I've spoken to has luckily been really nice. What did you do in freshers last year?

Yeah, I did. :smile:
Well last year, luckily I had a whole group of friends I spoke to beforehand on Facebook so we stayed on campus for the live acoustic nights. A few nights we just spent hanging out at the Bowland Bar (which I prefer to the other college bars because it feels very cosy and like a pub). One night we all just spent a good few hours in one of our kitchens just having a laugh! It was nice!
I went on the Lancaster Castle tour too with them which was fun. :smile:
Yeah, I did. :smile:
Well last year, luckily I had a whole group of friends I spoke to beforehand on Facebook so we stayed on campus for the live acoustic nights. A few nights we just spent hanging out at the Bowland Bar (which I prefer to the other college bars because it feels very cosy and like a pub). One night we all just spent a good few hours in one of our kitchens just having a laugh! It was nice!
I went on the Lancaster Castle tour too with them which was fun. :smile:

That sounds like fun! How busy were the acoustic nights etc.? Do people tend to go alone to these events or in groups? I'm just worried that I won't know anyone there if all of my flatmates are going clubbing. :colondollar: I agree with you about Bowland Bar - it seems a lot more cosy than the others.

Quick Reply

Latest