The Student Room Group

What grades can I expect to get at A-level?

I gained 8A*s 2As and 1B at GCSE and i'm taking biology, psychology, chemistry and spanish at A level (probably dropping psychology at AS). I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of grades I could expect to get at AS and A level??
I think probably looking at A/B predictions :smile:, but I wouldn't base your A-Level results on your GCSE's. I know many who got D's and E's and ended up with A*'s at A-Level. A-Levels are a whole other game and you need to put in a lot of effort to get the best you can get. Keep on top of things and don't slack-that is my only advice haha
Reply 2
Original post by maryamzahid
I think probably looking at A/B predictions :smile:, but I wouldn't base your A-Level results on your GCSE's. I know many who got D's and E's and ended up with A*'s at A-Level. A-Levels are a whole other game and you need to put in a lot of effort to get the best you can get. Keep on top of things and don't slack-that is my only advice haha

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3

This. And also keep in mind that plenty of people do very well at GCSE (congrats btw, great results!) then end up relaxing at AS and getting Cs, Ds and worse. As long as you put effort it and revise plenty you'll do grand :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Chrasty
This. And also keep in mind that plenty of people do very well at GCSE (congrats btw, great results!) then end up relaxing at AS and getting Cs, Ds and worse. As long as you put effort it and revise plenty you'll do grand :smile:

Thank you:smile: Yeah I definitely won't be relaxing!
Original post by Chrasty

True, I saw people with 10 A*'s ending up with U's because they thought A-Levels were a walk in the park. With the right motivation, and attitude you will be fine. Also, don't be one of those people who claim that AS's aren't as important as A2. If you are wanting to go to university, they base their decisions on AS most of the time as well teachers at school basing your A2 predictions from AS.
Just work hard for the 2 years and it will pay off :smile:
Original post by DanielleC98
I gained 8A*s 2As and 1B at GCSE and i'm taking biology, psychology, chemistry and spanish at A level (probably dropping psychology at AS). I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of grades I could expect to get at AS and A level??

Those GCSE's are almost insurmountable so you definitely have it in you to get A's/A*s
Basically repeating what others have said, just because you get an A* at GCSE doesn't necessarily mean that you will get an A in A-level. It's a step up and requires more work than GCSE and more consistent revision. At GCSE I got away with revising a couple of weeks before exams but at A-level you're going to put yourself through a lot of stress if you try that! As for what grades you will get it's hard to predict, by your results you sound like a hard worker so just make sure you're willing to step it up a bit at AS.

I took biology and psychology so if you have questions about those feel free to ask me. :smile:
Your GCSE grades are very attractive. Congratulations on those.

GCSE grades are not necessarily a prediction of your performance at AS and A2. However, if you work hard you would be able to get the best possible grades. As someone earlier said, people try to relax which is not the healthiest thing to do.
Reply 9
Original post by Claros
Basically repeating what others have said, just because you get an A* at GCSE doesn't necessarily mean that you will get an A in A-level. It's a step up and requires more work than GCSE and more consistent revision. At GCSE I got away with revising a couple of weeks before exams but at A-level you're going to put yourself through a lot of stress if you try that! As for what grades you will get it's hard to predict, by your results you sound like a hard worker so just make sure you're willing to step it up a bit at AS.

I took biology and psychology so if you have questions about those feel free to ask me. :smile:

Thanks :smile: I understand the workload will increase massively. I've researched psychology but I'm still not sure on the syllabus and what specific topics you learn about?
Thanks :smile: I understand the workload will increase massively. I've researched psychology but I'm still not sure on the syllabus and what specific topics you learn about?

That would honestly depend on what exam board you'll be doing as it can vary quite a bit. Do you know which exam board your college is going to offer?
Reply 11
Original post by Claros
That would honestly depend on what exam board you'll be doing as it can vary quite a bit. Do you know which exam board your college is going to offer?

AQA I think :smile:

I didn't use that exam board however I've found the specification. If you look from page 6 it should give you the information you need about what sort of things you'll be learning about.

If there's something you don't understand you're probably better off looking at the psychology section of the forum and asking someone who has experience of this exam board. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Claros
I didn't use that exam board however I've found the specification. If you look from page 6 it should give you the information you need about what sort of things you'll be learning about.

If there's something you don't understand you're probably better off looking at the psychology section of the forum and asking someone who has experience of this exam board. :smile:

Thanks a lot- that's really helpful :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by plasmaman
Those GCSE's are almost insurmountable so you definitely have it in you to get A's/A*s

Thank you! I hope so :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by sgulmedic
Your GCSE grades are very attractive. Congratulations on those.

GCSE grades are not necessarily a prediction of your performance at AS and A2. However, if you work hard you would be able to get the best possible grades. As someone earlier said, people try to relax which is not the healthiest thing to do.

Cheers! I plan to work very hard :smile:
Reply 16
True, I saw people with 10 A*'s ending up with U's because they thought A-Levels were a walk in the park. With the right motivation, and attitude you will be fine. Also, don't be one of those people who claim that AS's aren't as important as A2. If you are wanting to go to university, they base their decisions on AS most of the time as well teachers at school basing your A2 predictions from AS.
Just work hard for the 2 years and it will pay off :smile:

Yeah that happened with some of my older friends. Thanks for the advice :smile:

AQA is a great exam board for psych, but they have 2 syllabuses, AQA Psychology A and AQA Psychology B. I did syllabus A and enjoyed it a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest