The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Morton House?

First of all, apologies if I've posted something that has been posted before. I couldn't find much when I used the search feature.

Anyway, is anyone else going to Morton Halls? I kind of put that as my top choice since it seamed decent, but I'm starting to flake a bit on it. I keep hearing mixed things, some people said they had a laugh and others said they just wanted to do one after the first week.

So, what's the place like, I'm not really too bothered about the rooms or anything. Distance is fine for me and I like that area of Liverpool (I used to live around the corner from Sefton Park), just curious what kind of students go there and what the food is like (a bit hesitant on self-catered).
Yeah I'm going to Morton. Personally I think it'll be fine I guess it's just about meeting the right people which you will and you will be spending most of your time outside the room anyway so don't worry too much. Plus it was my top choice too. I can't cook at all either so catered was definetly the way to go an extra weight off my mind.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
I was there last year , loved every minuite . The foods good , we played american football on the field and at 1.80 a pint at the carnibar you cant go wrong. The halls have everything you need and the space is more than enough for its purpose. I have a group of about 20 friends , all from my block . The brookhouse pub on smithdown does £1 a pint thursdays, and theres a huge tescos. The best takeaway is called mamos , 2 20inch pizzas, fries and drinks for 20 quid and the burgers are huge for the small prices.
Anyway the halls are not exactly vine court but i've seen much worse for alot more. I miss my little crapshack already. In morton theres no hall monitor living in the block ( which there is in all the others) so you can party all night long. The grounds make it feel like centre parks and its a safe area. I cycled from the second semester, and its not only an enjoyable and very scenic ride but depending on what you had for breckfast ypu can get from the campuss to uni faster than the bus. Anything else ypu want to know just ask , I lived in EG008 ( e block ground floor ) so if you by chance are in e block i can give you a more in depth description.
Reply 3
Ahh, that's very reassuring, assumed it would be a lot worse than that from what other people were telling me (who, looking back, were likely displeased because they didn't like their hallmates). Actually, this is pretty much all of the things I've been wondering about the place, so cheers for pretty much hitting the nail on the head.

I was likely going to cycle to town myself, makes more sense to me and I know the route, are there lockups for the bikes?
I'm not sure on the room I've been assigned to as of yet (I should really phone them about that).
Original post by Bagelsaurus
Ahh, that's very reassuring, assumed it would be a lot worse than that from what other people were telling me (who, looking back, were likely displeased because they didn't like their hallmates). Actually, this is pretty much all of the things I've been wondering about the place, so cheers for pretty much hitting the nail on the head.

I was likely going to cycle to town myself, makes more sense to me and I know the route, are there lockups for the bikes?
I'm not sure on the room I've been assigned to as of yet (I should really phone them about that).

You'll find that in the first week or so people will move about but so long as you intergrate between the floors you'll find yourself in a nice little unit.

Theres a lockup on site (right opposite morton house) which you get a key from reception for, plus theres plenty of bike space on every part of the campus. Although i did have a key i sometimes would just keep it in my room (just don't oil it like i did , spent days getting it out of the carpet haha )

I think if i remember rightly they send out an email a little later on which gives you your room number , and with that you tell them the day you want to move in
Original post by bluepennant
Yeah I'm going to Morton. Personally I think it'll be fine I guess it's just about meeting the right people which you will and you will be spending most of your time outside the room anyway so don't worry too much.

Absolutely right. If you guys are interested in meeting people who will be moving into Morton House before you go, the uni has set up a Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/275968429223843/?fref=ts
Already on it. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by CameronHirst
I was there last year , loved every minuite . The foods good , we played american football on the field and at 1.80 a pint at the carnibar you cant go wrong. The halls have everything you need and the space is more than enough for its purpose. I have a group of about 20 friends , all from my block . The brookhouse pub on smithdown does £1 a pint thursdays, and theres a huge tescos. The best takeaway is called mamos , 2 20inch pizzas, fries and drinks for 20 quid and the burgers are huge for the small prices.
Anyway the halls are not exactly vine court but i've seen much worse for alot more. I miss my little crapshack already. In morton theres no hall monitor living in the block ( which there is in all the others) so you can party all night long. The grounds make it feel like centre parks and its a safe area. I cycled from the second semester, and its not only an enjoyable and very scenic ride but depending on what you had for breckfast ypu can get from the campuss to uni faster than the bus. Anything else ypu want to know just ask , I lived in EG008 ( e block ground floor ) so if you by chance are in e block i can give you a more in depth description.

Hi, I'm in morton house too and it wasn't any of my choices worrying a bit as the photos seem quite bad! Is there even a living room in there and do the kitchens even have an oven with it being catered? Cheers x
Original post by amybeck
Hi, I'm in morton house too and it wasn't any of my choices worrying a bit as the photos seem quite bad! Is there even a living room in there and do the kitchens even have an oven with it being catered? Cheers x

The pictures don't really do it justice, there is a common room and the carnibar but nothing in the halls themselves, however no one was really that bothered when we were there. Usually your either too busy working or out to really notice , what most people do is chill in each others rooms, just a heads up the corner rooms are huge.
There are ovens in the kitchen but as (im guessing) your catered we only ever used it to make cakes for birthdays and pizzas at 1 in the morning.
Reply 9
im in EG007! was just wondering whats the deal with the internet? I know its Ethernet but I saw that Melville grove aren't allowed to bring in their own routers for wifi, is that the same at Morton?
Yeah it's pretty standard because routers can be security holes in the uni network.
Original post by ioregan96
im in EG007! was just wondering whats the deal with the internet? I know its Ethernet but I saw that Melville grove aren't allowed to bring in their own routers for wifi, is that the same at Morton?

Thats next door to where i was ! ( if i remeber rightly you next to the kitchen ) your not supposed to have a router but alot of people used them anyway , or what the majority of the block did was download a virtual wifi router , does the same thing but its off a laptop, works the same way.
yeah I was next to the kitchen, but one of our flat mates moved out to Melville lol so I moved into her room (EG003) as its quieter down that end and next door to my best friend in the block! absolutely loving Carnatic/Morton, thought i'd hate it but now I wouldn't go anywhere else, crown and vine always complain their flats/blocks are so unsociable and they'd rather be with us haha, use my laptop as a wifi hotspot as does everyone no trouble yet
Original post by ioregan96
yeah I was next to the kitchen, but one of our flat mates moved out to Melville lol so I moved into her room (EG003) as its quieter down that end and next door to my best friend in the block! absolutely loving Carnatic/Morton, thought i'd hate it but now I wouldn't go anywhere else, crown and vine always complain their flats/blocks are so unsociable and they'd rather be with us haha, use my laptop as a wifi hotspot as does everyone no trouble yet

Sorry ive only just seen this ! Sounds pretty much the same as how it was when we were there ! Who ever is in eg008 better looking after it , they have the best view out of all the rooms ! Haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending