The Student Room Group

Wanted to do triple science (GCSE) but I'm doing double?

Hi all.
I'm in Year 10, now.
I'm soo annoyed!

I've usually gotten As and maybe sometimes Bs in my science classes and i've always gotten above the class average (our classes are huge, 30-40 people a class) and I was in the 15% percentile in my year 9, and yet I got put in double science, I want to pursue a science course (engineering) for university and i'm feeling really depressed and pissed at the minute, a friend of mine usually got Bs and Cs in his exam papers and yet he's in Triple Science and i'm in Double. What should I do?
:confused: :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

All schools do this, they play a gambel game, they put the best in the lowest, and the ok best in the top top so they can compare on how " good " they are when there " bad " i've had that in my school banking 'C's so my advise is go to another school or homeschool yourself with a mentor.:smile:
That sucks. Triple is the way to go.

Talk to your head of science or headteacher...
Reply 3
Original post by Mr...
Try and talk to they head of science... They shouldn't have done that, it will work in your favour if you want to have a career in science and you tell them about it :yep:

Do you think I should just talk to my science teacher? Thanks!
Original post by adityac3688
Hi all.
I'm in Year 10, now.
I'm soo annoyed!

I've usually gotten As and maybe sometimes Bs in my science classes and i've always gotten above the class average (our classes are huge, 30-40 people a class) and I was in the 15% percentile in my year 9, and yet I got put in double science, I want to pursue a science course (engineering) for university and i'm feeling really depressed and pissed at the minute, a friend of mine usually got Bs and Cs in his exam papers and yet he's in Triple Science and i'm in Double. What should I do?
:confused: :frown:

I'd try and see if you can get on to triple. But that said, it isn't the end of the world. I only did double at GCSE, and then went on to do all three sciences at AS (dropping Biology at A2). I'm currently studying Maths at university, with quite a lot of physics modules. So as long as you do well enough on double to get onto the relevant subjects at A level (physics, maths etc.), then it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Reply 5
As long as u do well and chose the subjects u need for A-level u will be fine
Reply 6
Original post by brittanna
I'd try and see if you can get on to triple. But that said, it isn't the end of the world. I only did double at GCSE, and then went on to do all three sciences at AS (dropping Biology at A2). I'm currently studying Maths at university, with quite a lot of physics modules. So as long as you do well enough on double to get onto the relevant subjects at A level (physics, maths etc.), then it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks Brittanna, its just I wanted an extra gcse and my parents are very...um indian .-. or like serious about my studies they really want me to do triple science and stuff, but I think i'll just try and exceed in Double Science if it doesn't work out :/
Get your parents to complain if you can. IF you are good at science and like it you may as well get 3 GCSEs out of it.

You can still do any science at sixth form with the double science meaning you can still do all the same science/engineering uni courses.
Reply 8
Original post by nshubber
As long as u do well and chose the subjects u need for A-level u will be fine

I'm doing IB :P and our school is messed up, if you wanna do like HL Physics you need to go to your teacher and if the teacher says no you can't do it... you basically can't do it :mad:
This really sucks OP. Complain loads! We got to choose in my year looooool. My school was jokes.
Unless you're really passionate about triple science, you should just keep double to reduce workload and try to get the highest grade possible for it. As said many times universities don't really care about GCSEs a whole lot so just focus to get the best grade for sixth form
Original post by Trihawk7
Unless you're really passionate about triple science, you should just keep double to reduce workload and try to get the highest grade possible for it. As said many times universities don't really care about GCSEs a whole lot so just focus to get the best grade for sixth form

I guess I should just do my best in Double Award if protesting doesn't work :/
Reply 12
this is exactly what happen to me and it really did suck, i say try your hardest to get into triple but if you cant (which is what happen to me) then honestly its a blessing in disguise, because most of my friends who picked triple science regret it as it is an addition of stress on top of other GCSE's, additional science is better in my opinion, also in my school i got to do another GCSE on top of double science, so you also get 3 GCSE's just like the triple scientists and if you get an A* in double science its just as good as triple.

really long answer but i hope it helped and best of luck with your GCSE's!!
Original post by Chukkeigh
This really sucks OP. Complain loads! We got to choose in my year looooool. My school was jokes.

Wow you're lucky!! :O Switch Schools??
Original post by kokopop
this is exactly what happen to me and it really did suck, i say try your hardest to get into triple but if you cant (which is what happen to me) then honestly its a blessing in disguise, because most of my friends who picked triple science regret it as it is an addition of stress on top of other GCSE's, additional science is better in my opinion, also in my school i got to do another GCSE on top of double science, so you also get 3 GCSE's just like the triple scientists and if you get an A* in double science its just as good as triple.

really long answer but i hope it helped and best of luck with your GCSE's!!

Thanks a lot Koko!! We dont get to pick an additional GCSE on top of double science though sadly :/
Wow you're lucky!! :O Switch Schools??

I guess I was in a way but only around 5 people choose to do triple science. The school has changed now and is much better so I doubt that they still let the pupils choose.
Honestly, it really won't be the deciding factor in your life. I did engineering at university with dual science GCSE (I didn't see the point in doing triple and saved the option for a subject which actually mattered).

Do the appropriate A-levels (research universities and look at their entry requirements). I'm not even sure of anyone who regards any GCSEs except for English and Maths.
Original post by Chukkeigh
I guess I was in a way but only around 5 people choose to do triple science. The school has changed now and is much better so I doubt that they still let the pupils choose.

Nooooooooo D:
Reply 18
Thanks a lot Koko!! We dont get to pick an additional GCSE on top of double science though sadly :/

no problem! and aw, but dont be disheartened, this just means now you can do extra well!
Original post by SillyEddy
Honestly, it really won't be the deciding factor in your life. I did engineering at university with dual science GCSE (I didn't see the point in doing triple and saved the option for a subject which actually mattered).

Do the appropriate A-levels (research universities and look at their entry requirements). I'm not even sure of anyone who regards any GCSEs except for English and Maths.

Yeah, and I just need to do really well in my IB/A-Levels. GCSE doesn't matter that much apparently. But everyones doing Triple, even the 95 percentile of the class (the failers :P ), but I guess you're right.

Quick Reply

Latest