The Student Room Group

Need urgent help with my university application PLEASE

basically i got my insurance offer at the university of liverpool on the 14th of august long story short i realised the university of sheffield had a vacancy in clearing so a week later (yes i regret not acting sooner :'() i rang the university of sheffield asking if they would consider me a place with the current grades i have....they said they would but i would have to make a clearing application on their website so i did and then the following day (22nd of august) they gave me a verbal offer which i accepted they then gave me a clearing number and said i would have to ring my insurance offer university and ask them to release me.

sure enough i rang liverpool and asked to be released from the university they provided me with an email address in order for me to released, upon sending the email for my release an automated email was sent saying it can take up 7 days for the university to release me.

i then rang sheffield to confirm if this was ok immdediatley after. They said 7 days is quite a while but told me not to worry and they said they would chase liverpool up about it

HOWEVER the following day (23rd august) which is today, i have been sent a letter through my door from ucas saying that my place at liverpool is confirmed and that i can now no longer apply to university through clearing, the letter said that i could leave the university if i wish not to attend but if i do this i wont be able to apply elsewhere in the 2014 cycle.

this has hugely upset me and i dont know what to do....what upsets me the most is the letter was printed on the 18th august so not counting the weekend i basically only had just over a day to apply through clearing after receiving my results so it feels like i never had a chnace with clearing.....i really want to go to Sheffield because it is far closer to home i would have applied to Sheffield from the beginning if the entry requirements weren't so high when i first was applying ....i understand that this is a very complicated situation but any advice on what to do right now would really give me a piece of mind...does this mean i have absolutely no way of applying to sheffield or any university for that matter?
Original post by gurel
basically i got my insurance offer at the university of liverpool on the 14th of august long story short i realised the university of sheffield had a vacancy in clearing so a week later (yes i regret not acting sooner :'() i rang the university of sheffield asking if they would consider me a place with the current grades i have....they said they would but i would have to make a clearing application on their website so i did and then the following day (22nd of august) they gave me a verbal offer which i accepted they then gave me a clearing number and said i would have to ring my insurance offer university and ask them to release me.

sure enough i rang liverpool and asked to be released from the university they provided me with an email address in order for me to released, upon sending the email for my release an automated email was sent saying it can take up 7 days for the university to release me.

i then rang sheffield to confirm if this was ok immdediatley after. They said 7 days is quite a while but told me not to worry and they said they would chase liverpool up about it

HOWEVER the following day (23rd august) which is today, i have been sent a letter through my door from ucas saying that my place at liverpool is confirmed and that i can now no longer apply to university through clearing, the letter said that i could leave the university if i wish not to attend but if i do this i wont be able to apply elsewhere in the 2014 cycle.

this has hugely upset me and i dont know what to do....what upsets me the most is the letter was printed on the 18th august so not counting the weekend i basically only had just over a day to apply through clearing after receiving my results so it feels like i never had a chnace with clearing.....i really want to go to Sheffield because it is far closer to home i would have applied to Sheffield from the beginning if the entry requirements weren't so high when i first was applying ....i understand that this is a very complicated situation but any advice on what to do right now would really give me a piece of mind...does this mean i have absolutely no way of applying to sheffield or any university for that matter?
Try to calm down. If you look at the date on your letter, it was sent before the universities had chance to change things with Ucas, so it doesn't mean that Sheffield is going back on what it said, merely that the various lines of communication are crossing each other. The wording on the letter is standard and means that you can't apply while still holding an offer, which you know. As far as was the case when the letter was printed, you had an offer with Liverpool. That doesn't mean that Sheffield isn't going to chase up Liverpool to proceed with your new offer. It's a shame that its the bank holiday weekend as you will have to wait until Tuesday, but call them up first thing and explain the situation. Don't get upset. It's just things being churned out automatically before a human being has got round to changing things.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Try to calm down. If you look at the date on your letter, it was sent before the universities had chance to change things with Ucas, so it doesn't mean that Sheffield is going back on what it said, merely that the various lines of communication are crossing each other. The wording on the letter is standard and means that you can't apply while still holding an offer, which you know. As far as was the case when the letter was printed, you had an offer with Liverpool. That doesn't mean that Sheffield isn't going to chase up Liverpool to proceed with your new offer. It's a shame that its the bank holiday weekend as you will have to wait until Tuesday, but call them up first thing and explain the situation. Don't get upset. It's just things being churned out automatically before a human being has got round to changing things.

thank you for your response its is greatly appreciated, and yeah it is unfortunate its bank holiday i kinda just feel like luck is really against me haha, would you advise i ring Ucas on tuesday or should i ring sheffield first?
Original post by gurel
thank you for your response its is greatly appreciated, and yeah it is unfortunate its bank holiday i kinda just feel like luck is really against me haha, would you advise i ring Ucas on tuesday or should i ring sheffield first?

Well, I'd ring all three places, but I'd start with Sheffield just to remind them that it's not you causing the hold up, and then ring Liverpool to get them to get a move on. After that, if you get no joy, call Ucas and inform them what is going on. They are sometimes able to put the squeeze on universities but they are essentially just the postman. Don't fret. It'll work out.
Reply 4
Well, I'd ring all three places, but I'd start with Sheffield just to remind them that it's not you causing the hold up, and then ring Liverpool to get them to get a move on. After that, if you get no joy, call Ucas and inform them what is going on. They are sometimes able to put the squeeze on universities but they are essentially just the postman. Don't fret. It'll work out.

ok, again i greatly appreciate the advice
Original post by gurel

No prob. Good luck.:smile:
Original post by Mr...
We meet again...

Statistically that's pretty likely, as it's one of my sections.
Original post by Mr...
Then I shall leave :sadnod:

No need. I don't own it. I just police it.
Reply 8
No need. I don't own it. I just police it.

Hi

after searching for my preferred course on clearing i found a university. However the uni demanded anybody who wants to apply to this course to fill out an online-application via the uni's direct site.

Once I did so, not long after, I received a reply for an invite of an assessment and interview. Few hours later, I received an email of congrats and an offer.
On the email the uni also gave me instructions as how to apply and so I did through clearing and my track was updated with an offer not long after.

The email also said that the offer was subject to the qualifications I listed on the application. However two of the grades listed were above what I have stated on the application.

Even-though I have accepted the offer, I am really baffled as to why the conditions are higher than I have stated...
I am also sure that they can see all my qualifications via my ucas number.

not all the conditions were wrong, only two were higher than I have got

was this an error? can a uni take back their offer? what shall i do?

P.s not panicking, just confused
Original post by gurel

Been reading your issue. Lily rose has given you some good advice so it'd be pointless for me to add anything, quote me and let me know how it goes :smile:
Original post by Coze
Hi

after searching for my preferred course on clearing i found a university. However the uni demanded anybody who wants to apply to this course to fill out an online-application via the uni's direct site.

Once I did so, not long after, I received a reply for an invite of an assessment and interview. Few hours later, I received an email of congrats and an offer.
On the email the uni also gave me instructions as how to apply and so I did through clearing and my track was updated with an offer not long after.

The email also said that the offer was subject to the qualifications I listed on the application. However two of the grades listed were above what I have stated on the application.

Even-though I have accepted the offer, I am really baffled as to why the conditions are higher than I have stated...
I am also sure that they can see all my qualifications via my ucas number.

not all the conditions were wrong, only two were higher than I have got

was this an error? can a uni take back their offer? what shall i do?

P.s not panicking, just confused
Not surprised you are confused - sounds like they are! I think only the university can unpick this one for you, and it's unfortunate that it's a bank holiday weekend and you'll have to wait until Tuesday to call them. They can take the offer away if it's based on a mistake, but if you told them what you have, and as you say, they can see your Ucas form in front of them, then it looks more like an admin error in the paperwprk than an error in giving you the offer in the first place, so I'd take comfort from that. I'm interested in the fact that your need to attend an interview suddenly disappeared, though. I'm afraid I can't help you other than to say it'll probably sort itself out, but not before a phone call on Tuesday. Good luck.
Reply 11
Not surprised you are confused - sounds like they are! I think only the university can unpick this one for you, and it's unfortunate that it's a bank holiday weekend and you'll have to wait until Tuesday to call them. They can take the offer away if it's based on a mistake, but if you told them what you have, and as you say, they can see your Ucas form in front of them, then it looks more like an admin error in the paperwprk than an error in giving you the offer in the first place, so I'd take comfort from that. I'm interested in the fact that your need to attend an interview suddenly disappeared, though. I'm afraid I can't help you other than to say it'll probably sort itself out, but not before a phone call on Tuesday. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply

No, I attended the interview before receiving the offer. Similar to most healthcare courses, i think an interview is a definite.

I had a chance to call them but I never with the thought that i may loose the offer. I've sort of sat back and anticipated as I received more emails from the uni for 'new students'. I'm afraid I may dig myself a hole for going after them.

can all universities most definitely see all you details on ucas once they have your I.D?
Original post by Coze
Thanks for the reply

No, I attended the interview before receiving the offer. Similar to most healthcare courses, i think an interview is a definite.

I had a chance to call them but I never with the thought that i may loose the offer. I've sort of sat back and anticipated as I received more emails from the uni for 'new students'. I'm afraid I may dig myself a hole for going after them.

can all universities most definitely see all you details on ucas once they have your I.D?

I see. I'm sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, the clearing number performs the function of letting the university see your application, which is one of the reasons why universities aren't supposed to talk to anyone without one (although they do.) If you have been interviewed and offered a place after it, and it's on Track, I think they mean it, but you will still have to check just in case it is a mistake (and I actually don't think it is) because if it were and you turned up to enrol and they spotted it, they would turn you away. You certainly don't want that.
Reply 13
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Been reading your issue. Lily rose has given you some good advice so it'd be pointless for me to add anything, quote me and let me know how it goes :smile:

yo dude thought i would let everyone know it all worked out thank god! :biggrin: i am now a student at the university of sheffield
Original post by gurel
yo dude thought i would let everyone know it all worked out thank god! :biggrin: i am now a student at the university of sheffield

Well, that's just excellent news.:smile: Sheffield's a great university and a fine city (my home town!) so have a great time.
Original post by gurel

Sorry for the late reply! Congratulations, you must be over the moon :biggrin:
Good luck with uni, not long now :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending