The Student Room Group

Are my results good enough for what I want to do?

I really want to study either dentistry or medicine but I'm not sure whether my results are good enough. :dontknow:

Here's what I got:
Maths - A
Science - A
Chemistry - A
Psychology - A
R.E - A
Statistics - B
Humanities - B
Urdu - B
Biology - B
I.T - C
English - C

Also, what subjects would you say are useful to do in 6th form if wanting to study either Dentistry or Medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by sumaiyaha
I really want to study either dentistry or medicine but I'm not sure whether my results are good enough. :dontknow:

Here's what I got:
Maths - A
Science - A
Chemistry - A
Psychology - A
R.E - A
Statistics - B
Humanities - B
Urdu - B
Biology - B
I.T - C
English - C

Also, what subjects would you say are useful to do in 6th form if wanting to study either Dentistry or Medicine?

All the teachers always told us that you need at least 8 A*s in your GCSEs to even be considered for Medicine or Dentistry, but looking at Cambridge's website they only require a C in Maths and a C in Biology and Chemistry for Medicine which of course you've got!

I'd reccommend looking at uni ebsites to see what their requirements are to get a good idea

Of course people with dozens of A*s will apply for Dentistry and Medicine because the courses are so competitive but I don't think that should put you off at all! Try and get some work experience in the fields and do a lot of extra reading around the courses as well as a lot of other extra curricular things and you'll make your application stand out and show you're a varied and interesting person!

You should definitely pick Biology and Chemistry and take them to A2 or you will most likely never get accepted to do either course, and also either Physics or Maths as your third A2, but for AS pick a lighter subject to reduce your workload a little and show unis that you're varied, for example you might pick R.E. or Philosophy, or Pyschology if you want to branch into that side of medicine.

Hope this helped, congrats on your results!x
You need an average grade of an A, i have found out uni's look at your top 8 grades, and some consider A/A* to have the same points such as st georges london, liverpool etc. basically i think your grades are a bit too low as you dont have 8 A grades which most med applicants will have.
Reply 3
Hey. Don't put yourself off!! They also take into account the BMAT test and of course your a level grade predictions. Honestly these are way more important. My sister had A's and B's for gcse but she got A's for a level and got into UCL *not for medicine but you can see that a level grades are far more important* good luck!!
Reply 4
Biology, chemistry and maths are definitely the most important. With this it is good to take a humanities or english based subject so you look well rounded
Reply 5
Original post by walshie
All the teachers always told us that you need at least 8 A*s in your GCSEs to even be considered for Medicine or Dentistry, but looking at Cambridge's website they only require a C in Maths and a C in Biology and Chemistry for Medicine which of course you've got!

I'd reccommend looking at uni ebsites to see what their requirements are to get a good idea

Of course people with dozens of A*s will apply for Dentistry and Medicine because the courses are so competitive but I don't think that should put you off at all! Try and get some work experience in the fields and do a lot of extra reading around the courses as well as a lot of other extra curricular things and you'll make your application stand out and show you're a varied and interesting person!

You should definitely pick Biology and Chemistry and take them to A2 or you will most likely never get accepted to do either course, and also either Physics or Maths as your third A2, but for AS pick a lighter subject to reduce your workload a little and show unis that you're varied, for example you might pick R.E. or Philosophy, or Pyschology if you want to branch into that side of medicine.

Hope this helped, congrats on your results!x

Thank you so much for your advice. Definitely helped. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest