The Student Room Group

Is it too late for clearing now?

Currently its been more than 1 WEEK into clearing, are there still good universities out there that have places available for Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by say x
Currently its been more than 1 WEEK into clearing, are there still good universities out there that have places available for Maths?

I'm afraid you will have to do your own research on that one by ringing up. Clearing goes on until mid October, technically, so it's still early days. It's fair to say a lot of desirable stuff will have gone, but you need to speak to people who can give you the current situation, whereas we can only speculate.
Reply 2
It's only been one week? It feels like it's been a month at least :eek:

You'll have to search that yourself through the Guardian clearing website, UCAS, individual university clearing pages etc. There are plenty of clearing advertisement banners above if you want to check them out.

You better ring up the clearing hotlines soon though as places are being taken as you wait for answers on here. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm afraid you will have to do your own research on that one by ringing up. Clearing goes on until mid October, technically, so it's still early days. It's fair to say a lot of desirable stuff will have gone, but you need to speak to people who can give you the current situation, whereas we can only speculate.

That is true, i have tried to contact all the universities i really wanted to go like Lancaster, Exeter and Surrey. Unfortunately all the places are gone now :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by OohBurn
It's only been one week? It feels like it's been a month at least :eek:

Yeah i know, especially when you are frustrated because you are getting nowhere in clearing:mad:
Original post by say x
That is true, i have tried to contact all the universities i really wanted to go like Lancaster, Exeter and Surrey. Unfortunately all the places are gone now :frown:
I'm sorry. I'd advise being cautious about taking the first thing that crops up and ticks a few of your boxes at this stage. Better to take a gap year than go somewhere you don't really feel enthusiastic about, but you also have to weigh that against the fact that maths courses are often picky about taking people after a year out because they feel they get rusty.You're in a difficult position, I'm afraid.
Reply 6
Original post by say x
Yeah i know, especially when you are frustrated because you are getting nowhere in clearing:mad:

I can understand... I got a place through clearing too and I was extremely upset with my results when I went to collect them on the 14th.

It took me 3 restless days before I decided on what course I wanted to accept. You'll be surprised how lenient some universities are since I ended up with 4 offers! Don't give up, take your time and good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by OohBurn
I can understand... I got a place through clearing too and I was extremely upset with my results when I went to collect them on the 14th.

It took me 3 restless days before I decided on what course I wanted to accept. You'll be surprised how lenient some universities are since I ended up with 4 offers! Don't give up, take your time and good luck! :biggrin:

Congradulation! Haha, i cannot remember how many hours i have slept last week, must be a single digit:smile: Tbh, now it come really close to the point that i will just say "YES" to whoever offer me a place first!
Reply 8
but you also have to weigh that against the fact that maths courses are often picky about taking people after a year out because they feel they get rusty.You're in a difficult position, I'm afraid.

This is exactly the reason i want to go to uni this year and don't wish to drag on, use it or lose it, i don't think gap year is an option for me.
Original post by say x
This is exactly the reason i want to go to uni this year and don't wish to drag on, use it or lose it, i don't think gap year is an option for me.

Fair enough. Just be careful not to accept a place out of gratitude and come to repent at leisure, which is easily done in the stress of clearing.
Reply 10
Fair enough. Just be careful not to accept a place out of gratitude and come to repent at leisure, which is easily done in the stress of clearing.

thanks, this is really useful advice, i'm so keen on getting places that it almost comes to a first come first basis:smile:
Original post by say x
thanks, this is really useful advice, i'm so keen on getting places that it almost comes to a first come first basis:smile:

Yes, that's the danger. The dropout rate for people placed through clearing is much higher than that of other students for that reason, although I can't recall now where I can find the stats on that. At least try to go and see the places if you can.
Reply 12
. At least try to go and see the places if you can.

Don't think i've got time for that clearing deadline approaches me like light. the best i can do is to check the uni's reputation on several ranking website, wikipedia and here TSR.

Btwm you mentioned the drop out rate is very hight? Is that true?
Original post by say x
Don't think i've got time for that clearing deadline approaches me like light. the best i can do is to check the uni's reputation on several ranking website, wikipedia and here TSR.

Btwm you mentioned the drop out rate is very hight? Is that true?

Well, you can only do what you can do. Yes, it's quite a bit higher because people rush into things, whereas they spent a long time choosing their original five courses, mostly. I can't tell you how I know that. I think it was one of the other universities mods who told me. A few of them work in admissions.
Yes, that's the danger. The dropout rate for people placed through clearing is much higher than that of other students for that reason, although I can't recall now where I can find the stats on that. At least try to go and see the places if you can.

Someone told me that only 25% students placed through Clearing graduate from the same course (which will include those who don't drop out but do switch courses within the same uni). However, I'm not sure of the reliability of the stats, or if that just related to the one uni where she works, or if it was nationwide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Someone told me that only 25% students placed through Clearing graduate from the same course (which will include those who don't drop out but do switch courses within the same uni). However, I'm not sure of the reliability of the stats, or if that just related to the one uni where she works, or if it was nationwide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I should have quoted you in. Were we part of the same conversation when we heard that statistic? I think we were.
Reply 16
Original post by say x
Congradulation! Haha, i cannot remember how many hours i have slept last week, must be a single digit:smile: Tbh, now it come really close to the point that i will just say "YES" to whoever offer me a place first!

Thank you! I would advise to not to say 'yes' to any offer. I did that on the first day due to the sheer excitement of being accepted then regretted it the next day. Thankfully, they released me back into clearing immediately (I've heard some unis are not so efficient at this and it could take days). I ended up choosing a different course after a lot of research and consideration.

Once you get the offer, think hard before entering it on UCAS. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by OohBurn
Thank you! I would advise to not to say 'yes' to any offer. I did that on the first day due to the sheer excitement of being accepted then regretted it the next day. Thankfully, they released me back into clearing immediately (I've heard some unis are not so efficient at this and it could take days). I ended up choosing a different course after a lot of research and consideration.

Once you get the offer, think hard before entering it on UCAS. :smile:

Did you tell them to release you as soon as you accepted? i thought once you accept, then you would have to attend the uni by law!
Reply 18
Original post by say x
Did you tell them to release you as soon as you accepted? i thought once you accept, then you would have to attend the uni by law!

What I meant by that was I entered the course and uni details onto UCAS track but they hadn't go round to 'confirming' it yet to make the contract official so I still could be released if that makes sense.
Reply 19
Original post by OohBurn
What I meant by that was I entered the course and uni details onto UCAS track but they hadn't go round to 'confirming' it yet to make the contract official so I still could be released if that makes sense.

lol, you really dodged a bullet here:eek: I'm not going to do anything on ucas until i get firm offer from all the unis, although that could be a while!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending