The Student Room Group

How do Vegans bulk?

I'm on a vegan diet but i'm so skinny because of this vegan food isn't fatty at all.
Compared to those that eat meat and drink loads of milk and eat cheese.

Can I have a vegan diet plan or can you post yours? :smile:

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm vegan and have gained 20kg in the time I've been lifting, I don't entirely understand what your problem is. We live in a world of vegan cheese in tesco and ice cream in every supermarket and cheap doughnuts in coop, compared to being vegetarian in the 90s it's so easy now.

I don't believe in giving people diet plans because your calorie needs, tastes, cooking skills, prep time and budget is individual. Have a look on the vegan fitness forum, it's now not the most active but there's lots of old topics that will help and if you post you will still get an answer.

A bulking diet for me is something like
Oats and soy milk- big bowl so about 600kcal
Peanut butter, chocolate and fruit as morning snack
Some combination of veg and protein as a curry or something for lunch
8 slices if toast with vitalite around 5
Veg, protein and rice around 9

edit to fix weird phone autocrrects
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kumon
I'm on a vegan diet but i'm so skinny because of this vegan food isn't fatty at all.

Thanks.

I believe for equivalent weight, beans contain more protein than an egg.
Lots of protein.
Beans, nuts and more beans.
Original post by kumon

Thanks.

You are not skinny because of vegan food, you are skinny because of the things you eat! There are more than enough vegan foods that make you pretty fat :tongue:

Are you an actual vegan or just on a vegan 'diet'? There is quite a difference! How long have you been doing it for?
One of the highest things in terms of fat for vegans which is needed = avocados
Protein = Beans/nuts
Sugars = Bananas and Oranges

=)
Reply 7
It's not that hard, even without eating all those substitutes.
Nuts, beans, lentills, chick peas, bananas, seeds, avocados, sweet potatoes, rice, tahini, peanut butter, seedy bread... You can eat healthy but your menu should be high in calories.
Reply 8
Original post by Rakas21

Gorillas aren't vegan, their omnivorous, well, if you want to get nutritionally correct, insectivorous.
They eat termites and other insects. =l
Original post by Scienceisgood
Gorillas aren't vegan, their omnivorous, well, if you want to get nutritionally correct, insectivorous.
They eat termites and other insects. =l

I mainly posted it as a joke but only about 3% of their diet is meat based. They look like that because they spend all day eating and plants do contain protein (though you'd be eating for hours on end to get enough to pump you up 200lb+).
Reply 11
Original post by foodirl
It's not that hard, even without eating all those substitutes.
Nuts, beans, lentills, chick peas, bananas, seeds, avocados, sweet potatoes, rice, tahini, peanut butter, seedy bread... You can eat healthy but your menu should be high in calories.

Original post by BKS
I'm vegan and have gained 20kg in the time I've been lifting, I don't entirely understand what your problem is. We live in a world of vegan cheese in tesco and ice cream in every supermarket and cheap doughnuts in coop, compared to being vegetarian in the 90s it's so easy now.

I don't believe in giving people diet plans because your calorie needs, tastes, cooking skills, prep time and budget is individual. Have a look on the vegan fitness forum, it's now not the most active but there's lots of old topics that will help and if you post you will still get an answer.

A bulking diet for me is something like
Oats and soy milk- big bowl so about 600kcal
Peanut butter, chocolate and fruit as morning snack
Some combination of veg and protein as a curry or something for lunch
8 slices if toast with vitalite around 5
Veg, protein and rice around 9

edit to fix weird phone autocrrects

Original post by e aí rapaz
Beans, nuts and more beans.

Original post by Scienceisgood
One of the highest things in terms of fat for vegans which is needed = avocados
Protein = Beans/nuts
Sugars = Bananas and Oranges

=)

I eat all the stuff mentioned above, I eat rice, beans, chick peas etc everyday - still skinny as hell.

Anyway I did some research here what do you think?
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/gain-weight-vegan/#comments

12 ounces raw, homemade almond milk

2-3 tablespoons raw, homemade almond butter

1 tablespoon ground flax seed

1 tablespoon coconut oil

1 tablespoon flax seed oil

2 tablespoons chia seeds

2 scoops soy-free veggie protein powder (about 22 grams of protein)

1 teaspoon maca powder

1 banana

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon wheat grass powder, just to be a granola-crunching hippie badass

Blend all ingredients together in a blender.
Reply 12
Original post by kumon
I eat all the stuff mentioned above, I eat rice, beans, chick peas etc everyday - still skinny as hell.

1 tablespoon coconut oil

2 tablespoons chia seeds

1 teaspoon maca powder

1 banana

Looks good:wink:
maybe you are just skinny? I have many friends who eat meat, fast foods, sweets and still are far underweight
Original post by kumon

1 tablespoon coconut oil

2 tablespoons chia seeds

1 teaspoon maca powder

1 banana

And then shove in 200g of oats into that mix because you're not going anywhere with that.
Original post by kumon

1 tablespoon coconut oil

2 tablespoons chia seeds

1 teaspoon maca powder

1 banana

You're overcomplicating it. If you aren't gaining weight then the advice for you is no different to the advice everyone else gets, vegan or not - Eat more, and eat high protein.

It's only your source of cals and protein that are different. If you want to make a high cal shake to up calorie intake (which is always a good idea) you can do it, with soy/almond milk, a ton of oats, and some protein powder from a vegan source. Easy.

In terms of general meals, eat more of whatever you eat. I eat a ton of rice/sweet potatoes/beans/lentils/veg with every meal. And I mean a LOT.
Reply 15
Have you tried making peanut smoothie? It's high in calories and delicious.
2 bananas, cup of oats, some chia seeds, 4 or 5. Tbsp peanut butter , optionally cinnamon.

Bean cake or lentils and chick peas patés are also yummy.
and if I were you, I would eat a lot of nut butters: cashew butter with cinnamon is so delicious!!
(edited 9 years ago)
You could always buy meat substitutes from the supermarkets.
Reply 17
Original post by kumon

1 tablespoon coconut oil

2 tablespoons chia seeds

1 teaspoon maca powder

1 banana

I agree with over complicating. Just eat more and gob look on veganfitness.net for non hippy advise. You just need to eat more and shakes can help but you only need oats, soy milk and peanut butter. I've never ate chai or macca in my life and who has time to make almond milk. Though supplementing flax oil is a good idea.
Reply 18
Original post by tehforum
And then shove in 200g of oats into that mix because you're not going anywhere with that.

Original post by e aí rapaz
You're overcomplicating it. If you aren't gaining weight then the advice for you is no different to the advice everyone else gets, vegan or not - Eat more, and eat high protein.

It's only your source of cals and protein that are different. If you want to make a high cal shake to up calorie intake (which is always a good idea) you can do it, with soy/almond milk, a ton of oats, and some protein powder from a vegan source. Easy.

In terms of general meals, eat more of whatever you eat. I eat a ton of rice/sweet potatoes/beans/lentils/veg with every meal. And I mean a LOT.

Original post by foodirl
Have you tried making peanut smoothie? It's high in calories and delicious.
2 bananas, cup of oats, some chia seeds, 4 or 5. Tbsp peanut butter , optionally cinnamon.

Bean cake or lentils and chick peas patés are also yummy.
and if I were you, I would eat a lot of nut butters: cashew butter with cinnamon is so delicious!!

Original post by mrhedgehog
You could always buy meat substitutes from the supermarkets.

Original post by BKS
I agree with over complicating. Just eat more and gob look on veganfitness.net for non hippy advise. You just need to eat more and shakes can help but you only need oats, soy milk and peanut butter. I've never ate chai or macca in my life and who has time to make almond milk. Though supplementing flax oil is a good idea.

I haven't tried that vegan fat shake, I can gain weight easily, I was just saying is that vegan fat shake worth making and eating?

Also how long do you cook oats for with real milk in general?
And with soy milk?
Also how much oats should you eat?
Reply 19
Original post by kumon
I haven't tried that vegan fat shake, I can gain weight easily, I was just saying is that vegan fat shake worth making and eating?

Also how long do you cook oats for with real milk in general?
And with soy milk?
Also how much oats should you eat?

Enough to make you gain weight. We can't tell you how much that is and neither can a calorie calculator. You need to work it out from experience.

I just oat my oats. Quick oats I do as soon as I get up then once I'm dressed and made coffee they are ready. If you want them hot then the packet will tell you but it's just in the pot and stir. For a shake they go in uncooked.

The shake will waste money and time with all that stuff. Peanut butter, soy milk and oats are all you really need in one.

Quick Reply

Latest