The Student Room Group

Scolisis and studying AMA

So I have scoliosis and I'm going to do another one of these, separately, for having TMJ, but yes, I thought it might be useful to have a thread on how you can deal with scoliosis while studying :smile:
Reply 1
How do you compose your posture for a long time?
Original post by Lil08
How do you compose your posture for a long time?

Interestingly, I don't! I am constantly distracted my sitting wrongly and pain, because I tend to sit at an angle; my spine is twisted a little so my legs go a bit sideways and people don't really know what to say or how to deal with it :smile:

Or I get lazy and wear a really tight corset but I don't like to do that often.

I have a lot of physio to try and deal with the root of the problem, so far it's helping but I'm nowhere near healed!
Reply 3
Original post by victoriahowells
Interestingly, I don't! I am constantly distracted my sitting wrongly and pain, because I tend to sit at an angle; my spine is twisted a little so my legs go a bit sideways and people don't really know what to say or how to deal with it :smile:

Or I get lazy and wear a really tight corset but I don't like to do that often.

I have a lot of physio to try and deal with the root of the problem, so far it's helping but I'm nowhere near healed!

Are you aware of the complications related to Scoliosis?
Do you have other organ complications?
I'm not very aware of them, no, but I do know that it makes my pelvic area numb and sometimes my feet and legs don't really work, which is not painful but very frustrating. This is especially frustrating because people will see me walking about and not understand the problem comes and goes, and also it can happen very quickly, like if I stretch wrong, and my back goes click, I could be off work for a couple of days, so it affects my employability massively.
Can I bite you?
Reply 6
lol wow, this reminds me sooo much of how i was when i had to have my scoliosis surgery when starting year 10! yes, it was slightly uncomfortable and at times painful when studying and doing other stuff but trust me its worth it. i just finished year 11 with awesome grades(8A* 2A) and im now going into sixthform. :smile:
Original post by victoriahowells
So I have scoliosis and I'm going to do another one of these, separately, for having TMJ, but yes, I thought it might be useful to have a thread on how you can deal with scoliosis while studying :smile:

oh wow I just saw your thread! Thought I'd reply as I had it too (had corrective surgery when I was 12 though)

Even now my spine is 'straight' my back still hurts like hell when I study.. guess it's those damn rods ;_; oh when I'm in a long exam :/
The only way to help I find is to walk around a lot; I revise for 30 mins then walk! It helps with concentration too! :smile: Good luckk
Original post by lachachacha
oh wow I just saw your thread! Thought I'd reply as I had it too (had corrective surgery when I was 12 though)

Even now my spine is 'straight' my back still hurts like hell when I study.. guess it's those damn rods ;_; oh when I'm in a long exam :/
The only way to help I find is to walk around a lot; I revise for 30 mins then walk! It helps with concentration too! :smile: Good luckk

With all the pain, was the surgery worth it?

Quick Reply

Latest