The Student Room Group

Do I actually need GCSE Maths & English?

I'm 24 and have Ds in both subjects.. is it even worth retaking it? I'm done with education really I'm just concentrating om getting some Vendor IT qualifications... I doubt an IT company would ask to see ny GCSE certificates...??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waka Flocka
I'm 24 and have Ds in both subjects.. is it even worth retaking it? I'm done with education really I'm just concentrating om getting some Vendor IT qualifications... I doubt an IT company would ask to see ny GCSE certificates...??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, absolutely worth it. Do it on the side, at this point both subjects should be somewhat easy with a bit of revision and getting back in to it. A mate of mine who is useless at Maths, retook his Maths this year and got an A (GCSE). He did it once when he was 16 and again when he was 17, failed both times.
Original post by randomgeeza
Yes, absolutely worth it. Do it on the side, at this point both subjects should be somewhat easy with a bit of revision and getting back in to it. A mate of mine who is useless at Maths, retook his Maths this year and got an A (GCSE). He did it once when he was 16 and again when he was 17, failed both times.

ffs.. but worth it how..? I put C on my CV anyway no one has ever checked

Posted from TSR Mobile
ffs.. but worth it how..? I put C on my CV anyway no one has ever checked

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well for many jobs they require you to have GCSEs as a bare minimum from my experience. If they haven't checked than thats just for that company.
Original post by randomgeeza
Well for many jobs they require you to have GCSEs as a bare minimum from my experience. If they haven't checked than thats just for that company.

:frown: better crack on il get mathswatch n a text book best go for aqa.. dunno whether to do higher or foundation..

Posted from TSR Mobile
:frown: better crack on il get mathswatch n a text book best go for aqa.. dunno whether to do higher or foundation..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd go Higher, check em both out though, books on them that is. My mate got an A (Higher) and he is honestly AWFUL at Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should resit as it will put in a better position in life regadless of the career you want to go into or whether you need it or not. The fact that you are saying that the IT company is not asking for your GCSE'S in english and maths is just a pathetic excuse simply because you dont want to resit but want the easy way out by lying on your CV that you have got those C grades when actually you are deceiving because you know you have not. Lying on your CV is not good simply because some employers may actually check whether you are telling the truth or not also you may get jailed for this. To be honest resitting is the best option eventhough you may not see it as this. Trust me once you get the required grade you will not have to look back at maths and English GCSE and you will be relieved.:smile:
Put in the effort now and you will reap the benefits which are good grades. You will also feel more happy and confident about anyone checking your CV or GCSE certificates because you will have the proof of your C grades.

Edit: mathswatch and corbett maths(a free online titorial) are good.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending