The Student Room Group

Why is there so much negativity about commuting to university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cuckoo99
What's yo beef with dem noodles? but i agree with everything else.

Tbh I lied. I will be living exclusively on Super Noodles. Mild curry flavor only though. :biggrin:
Original post by SandmanMMA
Commuting is the smart idea, why? because you get to save the money others are spending on rent. "Oh you won't have friends" piss off I know I will. When you commute you won't live on £60 a week and eat poor quality food. Think about that for a minute.

Well you get less money through SF and spend quite a bit traveling, so the difference works out only a bit less. Also not everyone is going to be living on poor quality food, I'll have a £100 to live off a week after rent, not including some bursaries I'll get. I'm sure I'll do just fine and live off nice food thanks:biggrin:

Also not to mention I'll become independent whilst mummy makes your breakfast.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RoundTrip
Think about it yourself for a minute. Not everyone lives near a good uni. You will be especially lucky if your local uni is good in the subject you want to study. So most people have to make a decision. Commute to the local **** uni, or leave for a better one. Most commuters will not have made the best decision in regards to the uni they picked. If you can honestly say you have your lucky.

That's a brilliant point. I have a friend on my course who rejected an Oxford offer because she didn't want to move out of home. But she lives south-east of Worcester and still has to drive for more than an hour to get into uni in Birmingham. She still gets brilliant grades, and has friends, but I know that the long drive can take it out of her sometimes.

Don't compromise on where you choose to study just because you're determined to live at home for uni, and don't settle for a course you're not 100% sure about when you could do the same course elsewhere and like the structure better. If you live near a good uni offering the course that you think is best for you then fair enough, but at least have a look at what other universities have to offer.
Reply 43
Original post by rayquaza17
Nope.

I've made 3 really good friends this year. :smile:

Thats great to hear :smile:
Original post by BlueSheep32
That's a brilliant point. I have a friend on my course who rejected an Oxford offer because she didn't want to move out of home. But she lives south-east of Worcester and still has to drive for more than an hour to get into uni in Birmingham. She still gets brilliant grades, and has friends, but I know that the long drive can take it out of her sometimes.

Don't compromise on where you choose to study just because you're determined to live at home for uni, and don't settle for a course you're not 100% sure about when you could do the same course elsewhere and like the structure better. If you live near a good uni offering the course that you think is best for you then fair enough, but at least have a look at what other universities have to offer.

Thanks for wording it better than I did. Unfortunately lots of people do just compromise and settle for a lesser institution because they see it as "easier". It's up to them really.
Tbh I lied. I will be living exclusively on Super Noodles. Mild curry flavor only though. :biggrin:

Mate the chicken ones are da bomb
Commuting is a massive pain in the arse. If you're commuting without a car then you're completely at the mercy of public transport which severly limits you. Secondly you waste a huge amount of time each day driving to and from uni. And finally yes your social life does suffer as if you want to go out you end up having to plan everthing in advance so you do miss out on being spontaneous and if you you are heading out you need to impose on somebody to crash on their couch.

I hated commuting as I'd have to be up at 7 to be in for 9am and then leaving at 7 got me home for 9pm then after having dinner, shower and doing the necessary prep work for the next day it was time for bed. It was no kind of life to lead.
Original post by Psyc_Girl
I'll be commuting to university and reading the posts on here about commuting is making me worried.. Surely commuting can't be that bad? If you make an effort, I don't see why your social life would be different to anyone else's?

1) Not everyone commutes because it is really his favorite choice, but because of money or other problems, which of course makes commuting less desirable.

2) It means your social life is different, but that doesn't mean it is better.

Pro:
- staying with family gives you time to concentrate just on the change in learning
- maybe your home town is more vibrant and has more opportunties
- maybe you can keep doing your favorite extracurricular (politics, sports,...)
- you can keep your pet/horse
- often better food
- cheaper, which means you can spent your money on going out without having to get a part-time job

Contra:
- Some people won't befriend you, because it is annoying that you live so far away (sounds idiotic, but is true)
- no fellow students you can just knock on the door to ask questions about homework
- long ways to library, student union, university sports
- either you leave early at parties or stay until the morning
- getting up very early, just to be at lectures two hours later, where you start to feel tired again
- friends may all leave your hometown
- your life is just different from the others
- it is difficult to be spontaneous

neutral:
- maybe there are other commuters as well
Think about it yourself for a minute. Not everyone lives near a good uni. You will be especially lucky if your local uni is good in the subject you want to study. So most people have to make a decision. Commute to the local **** uni, or leave for a better one. Most commuters will not have made the best decision in regards to the uni they picked. If you can honestly say you have your lucky.

Your social life will be impacted, how can it not be? While your at home eating your dinner mummy cooked for you others are out fending for themselves, becoming independent and growing closer as a group. Yes this doesn't mean your going to live the rest of your life alone but you will never be as close to people as those who lived out. My 2 ex girlfriends lived out in Leicester and Brighton. Their houses were MENTAL, they had such a good time, I somehow don't think staying in watching eastenders with your folks will compare.

Oh and btw, I'm living out in the most expensive city in the UK outside of London and have over £200 a week to play with AFTER rent. Don't think I'll be living on super noodles somehow.

My local uni isn't exactly ****, it's good for what I'm doing. And how have you got £200 a week? Unless you somehow have some next level job or business or is mummy paying you? Not everyone drinks and wants to party every night. I have other priorities also. Each to their own.
There is no blanket commuting is going to be terrible for everyone but it can make things harder, especially if you have a commute longer than an hour or the last bus or train is early or like on my course. The beauty of university is that it offers more than just study- there are a whole range of sports and societies but these meet often in the evenings and weekends which can be difficult if the commute is too long or transport finishes early.
Plus people who live nearby the uni will often arrange things spontaneously. If someone lives as near to the university as the accommodation it offers then aside from an initial instant group of friends to explore/go to freshers with then there won't be any disadvantages as long as they aren't afraid to say hi to people.
Original post by cjhamping
Well you get less money through SF and spend quite a bit traveling, so the difference works out only a bit less. Also not everyone is going to be living on poor quality food, I'll have a £100 to live off a week after rent, not including some bursaries I'll get. I'm sure I'll do just fine and live off nice food thanks:biggrin:

Also not to mention I'll become independent whilst mummy makes your breakfast.

No you don't have to spend quite a bit travelling, there are ways around this spending. Public transport is decently priced and for me works out at £20 a week. How will you be living off £100 per week? I don't get less student finance much. It's about £1k less. When I did the maths I saw I'd be living on about £70 a week (at uni) unless I have some miraculous way of making money that doesn't mean I'm working stupid hours. You can have your so called "independance". I personally do everything for myself and my family because my mother isn't in the most healthy of states. It takes a man to not run away from true responsiblilty and party every night etc. Not everyone gets bursaries also so........

Your social life will be impacted, how can it not be? While your at home eating your dinner mummy cooked for you others are out fending for themselves, becoming independent and growing closer as a group. Yes this doesn't mean your going to live the rest of your life alone but you will never be as close to people as those who lived out. My 2 ex girlfriends lived out in Leicester and Brighton. Their houses were MENTAL, they had such a good time, I somehow don't think staying in watching eastenders with your folks will compare.

Oh and btw, I'm living out in the most expensive city in the UK outside of London and have over £200 a week to play with AFTER rent. Don't think I'll be living on super noodles somehow.

Also you speak about fending for themselves like these students are out in the wild hunting their meal........oh wait nah they're just eating spaghetti hoops out of the pan. You can live at home and be independent. I don't have someone cooking my meals. I cook myself. I don't have someone holding my hand everywhere I go to. Just because I chose to stay at home doesn't mean that I'm not independent. Yes living at uni makes you build I suppose a closer bond with people as you live around them and not just see them everyday. I'll admit that that's the most appealing part. Just for the record I don't watch eastenders, or the majority of British tv. It's dead.
I'm commuting :smile: I don't care about other people's opinions about it as for me it's the easiest option.
My local uni isn't exactly ****, it's good for what I'm doing. And how have you got £200 a week? Unless you somehow have some next level job or business or is mummy paying you? Not everyone drinks and wants to party every night. I have other priorities also. Each to their own.

Like I said if your local uni is good for your subject your lucky. I'm willing to bet you could've gone to a much better one though if you had chosen to move out.

I'm getting £11249 a year across maintenance loans, grants and bursaries. Only £3800 of that is to be paid back. My accommodation is £100pw for 38 weeks. 11249 - 3800 = 7449. 7449/38 = £196 a week. That's before I take it account my savings which amount to well over 5 figures I made from working for 2 years before uni. Mummy can't give me anything, everything I own I've bought and paid for myself. I admit it is ridiculous I am getting this much "help" because I would've been able to support myself but the way student finance works is incredibly flawed.

Also you speak about fending for themselves like these students are out in the wild hunting their meal........oh wait nah they're just eating spaghetti hoops out of the pan. You can live at home and be independent. I don't have someone cooking my meals. I cook myself. I don't have someone holding my hand everywhere I go to. Just because I chose to stay at home doesn't mean that I'm not independent. Yes living at uni makes you build I suppose a closer bond with people as you live around them and not just see them everyday. I'll admit that that's the most appealing part. Just for the record I don't watch eastenders, or the majority of British tv. It's dead.

Well seeing as I'm budgeting to spend around £25 on food a week in the local sainsburys/waitrose it's going to be hard not eat nice food tbh. How is DEPENDING on your parents for shelter, food, washing being independent? Your much more dependent than people who moved out. They are on their own. If your ill you can't get mummy to ring the doctors, no ones gonna get you out of bed for that early lecture, you have to do your own washing. You become more of an adult. As someone has said commuting/moving out depends on the circumstances of the individual.

You'll regret not moving out and there's a strong chance in 2nd and 3rd year you'll move out with friends. Just saying.
Original post by simplylldxo
I'm commuting :smile: I don't care about other people's opinions about it as for me it's the easiest option.

If I lived in Derby I'd be doing anything I could to leave even if it was the easiest option. :rolleyes:
You will still have a great time commuting, yes living away is great fun but you will make friends who you can stay with if you fancy a night out. You also save a lot of money living at home with home comforts, so its all good. The main concern i would have would be making all that effort for maybe just an hour of lectures, but if you can deal with that then no problem. There were plenty of people on my course who commuted in and they had a great time and were involved in everything as well. You might decide in second or third year you want to experience living away, but i really wouldn't worry about it :smile:
Reply 56
Like I said if your local uni is good for your subject your lucky. I'm willing to bet you could've gone to a much better one though if you had chosen to move out.

I'm getting £11249 a year across maintenance loans, grants and bursaries. Only £3800 of that is to be paid back. My accommodation is £100pw for 38 weeks. 11249 - 3800 = 7449. 7449/38 = £196 a week. That's before I take it account my savings which amount to well over 5 figures I made from working for 2 years before uni. Mummy can't give me anything, everything I own I've bought and paid for myself. I admit it is ridiculous I am getting this much "help" because I would've been able to support myself but the way student finance works is incredibly flawed.

Well seeing as I'm budgeting to spend around £25 on food a week in the local sainsburys/waitrose it's going to be hard not eat nice food tbh. How is DEPENDING on your parents for shelter, food, washing being independent? Your much more dependent than people who moved out. They are on their own. If your ill you can't get mummy to ring the doctors, no ones gonna get you out of bed for that early lecture, you have to do your own washing. You become more of an adult. As someone has said commuting/moving out depends on the circumstances of the individual.

You'll regret not moving out and there's a strong chance in 2nd and 3rd year you'll move out with friends. Just saying.

I understand what you're trying to say, but your tone (or should I say way of typing) is coming across quite rude..
Reply 57
Original post by Psyc_Girl
I'll be commuting to university and reading the posts on here about commuting is making me worried.. Surely commuting can't be that bad? If you make an effort, I don't see why your social life would be different to anyone else's?

i'm gonna be commuting in cause it was the best option for me. i live very close and i will save a lot of money and it is what i am most happy with. i am ignoring all negative comments as i have made up my mind and it is what i am happy with. loads of people i know have commuted in and had a good time at uni.
If I lived in Derby I'd be doing anything I could to leave even if it was the easiest option. :rolleyes:

Preach. Derby is a complete sh*thole that I'm glad to have seen the back of. :biggrin:

But really I think the big thing against commuting is that most people commuting will still be living with their parents so don't learn how to live on their own. Uni is the easiest time to learn how to do so because its basically a halfway house before you're let loose into the boring, bill filled, world of adulthood (the horror!) :eek:
I think the issue will be more to do with the ECs, which generally take place at 7-9ish at night, and the socials for them which most people can't commute from, though with London you have night buses.

In terms of social I knew commuters (at home, we weren't allowed to commute to my uni) who had good social lives, but inevitably you won't be as good friends as people who live together as a) You don't spend 10 hours or more together every day and b) your primary support network is still elsewhere, whereas for people living in halls their mates are the first ones they have to turn to, not their family any more.

If you get on with your family and aren't that fussed about either ECs or the whole 'friends for life' aspect then commuting's fine, it certainly doesn't have to ruin your uni experience, even if it would ruin some others'.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest