The Student Room Group

Why is there so much negativity about commuting to university?

I'll be commuting to university and reading the posts on here about commuting is making me worried.. Surely commuting can't be that bad? If you make an effort, I don't see why your social life would be different to anyone else's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm commuting and I think it's the best idea for me I therefore just shrug everybody's negative comments off. A lot of people have been really shocked that I'm choosing to stay at home, but it's what I want. I'm just planning to get equally as involved as everybody else. However, my view is that I'm going to uni to learn; not drink.

As long as it's the right choice for you it shouldn't matter about others.
I commute and its the right decision for me.
Reply 3
Original post by Psyc_Girl
I'll be commuting to university and reading the posts on here about commuting is making me worried.. Surely commuting can't be that bad? If you make an effort, I don't see why your social life would be different to anyone else's?

Sorry, should have quoted.
These types of post sadden me. The choices are not only about "doing the course" or drinking. The big choices are around establishing your independence, participating in a community by living among your fellows and contributing something to that academic institution. No one says you can not commute but it simply misses half the point of university. You may as well sit in your bedroom doing the Open Uni, save some money and work part time. But that is not the point is it ?
Original post by Old_Simon
These types of post sadden me. The choices are not only about "doing the course" or drinking. The big choices are around establishing your independence, participating in a community by living among your fellows and contributing something to that academic institution. No one says you can not commute but it simply misses half the point of university. You may as well sit in your bedroom doing the Open Uni, save some money and work part time. But that is not the point is it ?

:mad:
Reply 6
Original post by RFJ
I'm commuting and I think it's the best idea for me I therefore just shrug everybody's negative comments off. A lot of people have been really shocked that I'm choosing to stay at home, but it's what I want. I'm just planning to get equally as involved as everybody else. However, my view is that I'm going to uni to learn; not drink.

My thoughts exactly! :redface:

For me, I'm going to a London uni and im already living in London so I don't see the need to move out and pay rediculous amounts of rent..
Reply 7
Original post by rayquaza17
I commute and its the right decision for me.

Do you feel it has impacted your social life in anyway or your ability to make friends?
I'm gonna be living at home. I know I will miss out on stuff but at the same time I'm saving money.
Never knew any one who was negative just cos you commuted?

I live near the uni buy that's because I'm not going to drive 115 miles and back every day...
I just thought it was because most students are lazy. I like to roll out of bed in the mornings and fall into my lecture halls.
Reply 11
I don't think anyone's saying it's bad. There are just more cons to commuting than there are to living in halls imo
I think it depends on the length of the journey, whether you are driving or not (if not you can do some study), and most importantly your age, as for a mature student such as myself (and part-time) there would be too much to leave if I was to move for university.

It may also be about family and friends, as they are not just for three or four years.
Reply 13
Original post by Psyc_Girl
My thoughts exactly! :redface:

For me, I'm going to a London uni and im already living in London so I don't see the need to move out and pay rediculous amounts of rent..

I'm going to uni in London too! I don't live that far from uni so there's no need for me to move.
Reply 14
Original post by RFJ
I'm going to uni in London too! I don't live that far from uni so there's no need for me to move.

What do you mean by "not far"?

Are we talking about 3 stops on the tube, or a 45 minute drive?
I'm going to be commuting and it's an hour drive to the university from my house. I know I'm going to get exhausted from all the driving and what not, but commuting is the right choice for me. I get sad a lot of the time that I'll be missing some of the university experience, but I'm going to learn, not to party. :cool:
Reply 16
Original post by RFJ

What uni are you going to? My journey will take me about an hour or just under!
Original post by RFJ

Not every student who moves away from home is doing it for the 'student experience' of partying and drinking. Sure, it is a big reason why many people want to go away from home, but there are still a lot of us who want to learn and do well too and aren't bothered about the drinking. Living in halls can also have many benefits when it comes to studying, such as living very close to the library and study spaces on campus, and not having far to travel to go to lectures, which can save a lot of valuable studying time. Long commutes can be tiring too.

OP, as long as you feel commuting is the right thing for you to do then don't worry what anyone else thinks. You can still get involved and many universities have groups & societies for students who commute so you can meet people like yourself. I think the only time commuting would be a big issue is if the commute was so long that it took up a lot of time that you could be spending studying. Any more than an hour each way and I think you should perhaps consider moving nearer to the uni.
Reply 18
Original post by BlueSheep32
Not every student who moves away from home is doing it for the 'student experience' of partying and drinking. Sure, it is a big reason why many people want to go away from home, but there are still a lot of us who want to learn and do well too and aren't bothered about the drinking. Living in halls can also have many benefits when it comes to studying, such as living very close to the library and study spaces on campus, and not having far to travel to go to lectures, which can save a lot of valuable studying time. Long commutes can be tiring too.

OP, as long as you feel commuting is the right thing for you to do then don't worry what anyone else thinks. You can still get involved and many universities have groups & societies for students who commute so you can meet people like yourself. I think the only time commuting would be a big issue is if the commute was so long that it took up a lot of time that you could be spending studying. Any more than an hour each way and I think you should perhaps consider moving nearer to the uni.

Thats great advice, thanks! How long it takes depends on which route i take, one will take about an hour, the other is about 40 mins! :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Clip
What do you mean by "not far"?

Are we talking about 3 stops on the tube, or a 45 minute drive?

Under an hour by train, twenty mins on tube. Pretty much the same if I drive.

Quick Reply

Latest