The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Examhelp1
I need help choosing a career between the 2, I know it's up to me but I want to know in terms of prospects and salary. I know pharmacy is saturated is I've been speaking to others and heard that optometry is too? Thank you

Pharmacy is VERY saturated. Optometry is a lot less saturated here, but there is a very high demand for optometrists around the world. I think the salary is higher for an optometrist. Pharmacy you can't really progress in: you either work in a pharmacy or a pharmaceutical company (or a hospital in which case you can progress, but a job there would be rare). Optometry doesn't yield much career progression either but you can work your way up in a practice and become a partner and start earning decent money, or work in a hospital and work your way up to becoming a consultant where once again, the money is good, however it will probably be more difficult to get a job in a hospital.
Reply 2
Original post by Adam'
Pharmacy is VERY saturated. Optometry is a lot less saturated here, but there is a very high demand for optometrists around the world. I think the salary is higher for an optometrist. Pharmacy you can't really progress in: you either work in a pharmacy or a pharmaceutical company (or a hospital in which case you can progress, but a job there would be rare). Optometry doesn't yield much career progression either but you can work your way up in a practice and become a partner and start earning decent money, or work in a hospital and work your way up to becoming a consultant where once again, the money is good, however it will probably be more difficult to get a job in a hospital.

Thanks have you got any stats for the salary
I'd go for optometry as so many people are doing pharmacy right now! It's harder to get a place in the pre reg year and you'll have to spend your summer doing work experience.
Reply 4
What do think is better if you open your own optician or pharmacy?
Reply 5
What do think is better if you open your own optician or pharmacy?

Optometry definitely.

Stats for salaries? If you google something like "pharmacist salary" the first website should be "prospects.ac.uk" that is quite useful.
But from what I saw:
Pharmacist-Community- Starting salary=£20k-35k
-after 10-15 years= £40k-68k
-locum=£20-25 per hour
-Hospital- Starting=£21k
-Then it progresses through bands (best to have a look yourself)
Optometrist-pre-reg year- £17k-21k
-Starting=£25k
-With experience= £28k-60k+
-Hospital- Different bands again, but paid less than high street chains unless you get to consultant (80k salary)

I am going to start studying Optometry in a few weeks. I was in the exact same position as you last year. Optometry seemed more appealing to me. The hours for a Pharmacist are generally unsocial, late nights, weekends, long/double shifts etc. For an Optometrist it is just 9-5 on weekdays.

I hope this helps, if you need any more advice, feel free to ask here and/or pm me, I'll always be happy to help. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Do NOT do Pharmacy.
Reply 7
Ahh what other similar careers are there
I need help choosing a career between the 2, I know it's up to me but I want to know in terms of prospects and salary. I know pharmacy is saturated is I've been speaking to others and heard that optometry is too? Thank you

hmm good advice here.thought id give yeh the pharmacy overview.

I actually know many optometry students too!
they have a lot less hours in our college anyways not to mention its a year shorter to do.definitely seems like they have the easier option.

but tbh it should firstly be about interest.personally glasses never got me going.and id be bored ****less regardless.pharmacy is very interesting in my eyes.I found chemistry hard and overly theoretical in school.college is much better:smile:

regarding pay they seem to go hand in hand.roughly the same.so yeh shouldnt let this swing yeh.the hours can be unsocial in community pharmacy however hospital is a good bit better.

I believe the beauty of pharmacy is in its flexibility.you can work community..industry...hopsital...whilst being more friendly to perhaps doing medicine later on if you so wish.

furthermore locum allows you to be flexible on working hours too.I know a woman who does a month on working and off where she travels.
furthermore if you want a family it can be very handy in that sense:smile:

so overall id say optometry is probably the "easiest" option.more achievable to more easily get a job in optometry..whereas in pharmacy its never been more competitive.saying that I think pharmacy keeps options up very much so..I think if yeh put in the hard work it really can pay off.
spent two weeks this summer in hospital pharmacy.really interesting stuff.

feel free to pm if yeh want more info.good luck.
Reply 9
I know this thread is very old but i feel like there are some very misleading statements here!
Pharmacy and optometry get paid around the same amount.
Hospital pharmacy is actually a very widespread area for hiring and you are much more likely to end up in hospital than industry!
Community is obviously a larger area but there is always room to move up, especially in larger companies and even if you start your own!

Just thought i'd add to this as a third year pharmacy student currently doing some work with optometrists- if future people come across this thread it would be good to have some more accurate details! :wink:
i am currently in my first year of optometry and I'm still having doubts about my choice whether i should carry on with the course or not. i work in a high street opticians and its not something i would want to be working in for the rest of my life. optometry is more physics and biology based and it does not appeal to me. I love chemistry and i feel like maybe if i did pharmacy i wouldn't have been in this situation.
Reply 11
This thread is the reason why I'll be studying optometry from next week
Reply 12
Original post by Adam'
Optometry definitely.

Stats for salaries? If you google something like "pharmacist salary" the first website should be "prospects.ac.uk" that is quite useful.
But from what I saw:
-locum=£20-25 per hour
-Hospital- Starting=£21k
-Starting=£25k
-Hospital- Different bands again, but paid less than high street chains unless you get to consultant (80k salary)

I am going to start studying Optometry in a few weeks. I was in the exact same position as you last year. Optometry seemed more appealing to me. The hours for a Pharmacist are generally unsocial, late nights, weekends, long/double shifts etc. For an Optometrist it is just 9-5 on weekdays.

I hope this helps, if you need any more advice, feel free to ask here and/or pm me, I'll always be happy to help. :smile:

I am at the same point where I don't know wether to choose pharmacy or optometry. What advice would you give now. ??
Original post by FAM29
I am at the same point where I don't know wether to choose pharmacy or optometry. What advice would you give now. ??

Me too, I am at the same decision. i want to work in a hospital so i think need to get work expereince in hospital pharmacy and optometry but for now, im going to apply for both, see what offers I get, and perhaps do further work experience after my alevels
Original post by Adam'
Optometry definitely.

But from what I saw:
-locum=£20-25 per hour
-Hospital- Starting=£21k
-Starting=£25k

Hi this was really helpful I'm currently deciding what to go on and study next year pharmacy or optometry! In terms of the course at university what is optometry like? I do have an interest in both chemistry and biology. I find the eyes really interesting however I'm scared that I won't be able to keep up the the course content of optometry as I have heard theres lots of physics, I'm currently studying biology and chemistry A level.:smile:
Original post by mboyle2020
Hi this was really helpful I'm currently deciding what to go on and study next year pharmacy or optometry! In terms of the course at university what is optometry like? I do have an interest in both chemistry and biology. I find the eyes really interesting however I'm scared that I won't be able to keep up the the course content of optometry as I have heard theres lots of physics, I'm currently studying biology and chemistry A level.:smile:

I am in a similar position, I am not sure whether I want to do Optometry because of the physics involved, I do A Level Bio, Chem and Psych. But I am drawn to applying for optometry because it's slightly easier than Pharmacy.
Reply 16
Original post by Kim.023
I am in a similar position, I am not sure whether I want to do Optometry because of the physics involved, I do A Level Bio, Chem and Psych. But I am drawn to applying for optometry because it's slightly easier than Pharmacy.

I think Optometry is nice. I would definitely have done it if I could go back. I wanted to transfer in my 2nd year but for some reason wasn’t allowed perhaps because I was deep into it and near the end.
You could consider working locum and earning £200-350 a day which a couple people I know do. Up to you.
Original post by glocki
I think Optometry is nice. I would definitely have done it if I could go back. I wanted to transfer in my 2nd year but for some reason wasn’t allowed perhaps because I was deep into it and near the end.
You could consider working locum and earning £200-350 a day which a couple people I know do. Up to you.

Can't believe it's been 5 months since I was part of this discussion but I have decided to stick with pharmacy, I am still in the process of applying. Things could still change so optometry isn't being completely dismissed.
Original post by Kim.023
Can't believe it's been 5 months since I was part of this discussion but I have decided to stick with pharmacy, I am still in the process of applying. Things could still change so optometry isn't being completely dismissed.

Good luck !! 😊
Original post by Kim.023

Ahhh where have you applied!!

Latest