The Student Room Group

Help with an LNAT question

http://www.lnat.ac.uk/documents/sampletest05.pdf

Im really stuck on question 22 and 23 about The Canon and it's bugging me so much. The answer is b and d respectively, but i just dont understand how you get there. Can someone explain what the hell the article is going on about - i dont even know what they mean by 'The Canon'; are they talking about a canon that's used for fighing?
alison_141288
http://www.lnat.ac.uk/documents/sampletest05.pdf

Im really stuck on question 22 and 23 about The Canon and it's bugging me so much. The answer is b and d respectively, but i just dont understand how you get there. Can someone explain what the hell the article is going on about - i dont even know what they mean by 'The Canon'; are they talking about a canon that's used for fighing?

Clue 1: One used for fighting is spelt cannon.
oh yeah. so what does it mean by canon?
Reply 3
Canon, a fixed collection of texts, such as:
Biblical canon
Western canon
Geek canon
the Hindu canon of Shruti texts
Tripitaka, the Buddhist canon
the Taoist canon
the Confucian canon of Chinese classic texts
Canon (fiction), a body of works that are considered to be "genuine" or "official" within a certain fictional universe.

taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon
a Canon can also be a piece of music, but in this context nochance.
They deliberately include questions in the question bank which have less common vocabulary to test your deduction skills.

Last year I had an article about Isaac Newton living most of his early life as a 'monad'. Not nomad, 'monad'. I suppose it could have been an error, but I like to think it was deliberate.

As I remember it the passage you mean called it the 'literary canon' and talked about acceptable types of literature - this should give you an idea that it was a group, probably of writers, and that should be enough to answer the questions more or less.

Try not to be put off by unfamiliar words in the real thing, just do your best!
Reply 6
Is this common in the LNAT? I mean do they often put 'trick' questions like that?

Somebody who has done the LNAT what score did you get in the multiple choice? is there any high or low mark?

thnx
They're not trick questions: knowing the word won't give you an unfair advantage in answering the question, but if you're unsure then your skills of deucation as well as comprehension are being tested.

One thing though: since the questions in each test are supposed to be picked randomly from a huge bank of the things, is there any mechanism to ensure everyone gets a couple of this 'type' of question? They must make it so for each candidate, two 'what is the main arguement...?' questions, three 'which of these is an unstated assumption...?' questions etc are selected, otherwise it would be a bit unfair if one person got 30 very similar questions, or another got loads of 'unusual word' ones.

iva: Here's a thread about what makes a 'good' LNAT score. The universities each have their own standards though.
badgerbadger
They're not trick questions: knowing the word won't give you an unfair advantage in answering the question, but if you're unsure then your skills of deucation as well as comprehension are being tested.

One thing though: since the questions in each test are supposed to be picked randomly from a huge bank of the things, is there any mechanism to ensure everyone gets a couple of this 'type' of question? They must make it so for each candidate, two 'what is the main arguement...?' questions, three 'which of these is an unstated assumption...?' questions etc are selected, otherwise it would be a bit unfair if one person got 30 very similar questions, or another got loads of 'unusual word' ones.

iva: Here's a thread about what makes a 'good' LNAT score. The universities each have their own standards though.

that's what i was wondering because you get some really easy questions like "which one of these is a fact" but then you get much harder ones like the assumption questions

Latest