The Student Room Group

Help with choices at AS.

Ok, so i went into 6th form today to choose my subjects and chose Further maths in block A. But since getting home, a teacher has rang me and i was the only one who opted for it in that block. So now i have to do further maths in block D (where i had firstly picked Eng Lit.)
So thats left me confused. I now need to pick a new subject from A- maybe Eng Lang?? or possibly Biology. But i haven't looked into any of these courses because i didnt think i'd need them.
Heres my questions- Whats the differences between Lit and Lang??
And is it worth doing Further Maths?? Is it appriciated by uni's??
Thanks for any help

Tory
xxx
Reply 1
xx_tory_xx
Ok, so i went into 6th form today to choose my subjects and chose Further maths in block A. But since getting home, a teacher has rang me and i was the only one who opted for it in that block. So now i have to do further maths in block D (where i had firstly picked Eng Lit.)
So thats left me confused. I now need to pick a new subject from A- maybe Eng Lang?? or possibly Biology. But i haven't looked into any of these courses because i didnt think i'd need them.
Heres my questions- Whats the differences between Lit and Lang??
And is it worth doing Further Maths?? Is it appriciated by uni's??
Thanks for any help

Tory
xxx

First, what are you other A levels, and what are you contempolating doing at university?
Reply 2
My other ones are geog n history. Got A*'s for all off the subjects mentioned, except history (A).
Eventually i want to go into teaching. Probably a geog teacher.
I just thought i should have an english in there somewhere??
is it right that maths is considered a 'science' at alevel or have i just made that up??
If you're not applying for maths at uni, and I'm guessing you'll be applying for geography, maths and further maths aren't always accepted as 2 separate A-levels. You don't need English to be a secondary school teacher, just the subject you want to teach, in your case geography. As avogadro6.23 said, English lang is more like linguistics and you study things like language acquisition, accents and dialects. English lit is very similar to GCSE except obviously harder and in more depth. Maths is considered a science. Since you obviously like and are good at geography, maybe biology would be good since there's a bit of overlap, but it's up to you really.

Latest

Trending

Trending