The Student Room Group

Soft Subjects??

I'm worried that the subjects I'm taking for A level might be considered 'soft'. I'm probably taking Drama, Philosophy, English Language and Media studies. I looked on what the Russell groups consider soft and they included a few of the A levels I'm probably taking - however I don't want to go to a russell group uni, I want to do acting and drama when I'm older so there wouldn't be any point in me taking chemistry, maths ext. Do you think my subjects are too 'soft'??
Philosophy is not considered a soft subject, but the rest tend to be viewed that way (although they're only of 'limited suitability', whereas some subjects like General Studies tend to go completely ignored by unis). If you're not aiming for an RG (or otherwise prestigious) university then taking soft subjects becomes less of an issue.
What are your plans for after A-levels? Do you want to go to university? Have you looked up course requirements?

On a side note, if you're particularly worried about taking soft subjects, you could always substitute English Language for either Literature or Lit&Lang, both or which are generally preferred.
Reply 2
I'm looking to do drama or some kind of performing arts at a uni, not sure yet ive looked a few up. Still confused between lit and lang, dont know if i could read that many books. Thanks xx
If you want to study Acting/Drama at a Drama School or university, to go on to a profession in this area then there isn't much point in studying a set of subjects that are science based eg. Chemistry, Maths, Biology...

Most uni's that offer a drama based performing arts course with require you to have Drama A-Level and some may want English Literature. On this note, I would encourage taking English Literature rather than English language at A-Level. The Literature compliments Drama much more than language and as a generalisation Literature is looked more highly upon than Language by uni's.

Media and Philosophy compliment Drama and English well, and you have a nice mix of subjects.

It is important that you remember that just because RG state that a subject may be 'soft' it doesn't mean that a subject is easy. From my own and experience, and that of friends, Drama requires confidence and excellent team work skills aswell as being time demanding. Creativity is an important part of Media and will also require you to input lots of time in order to get the best grade. English (Lit or Lang) and Philosophy are essay based subjects and witl allow you to develop strong extended writing skills and sound reasoning. ALL really good skills for work and university.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rembles98
I'm worried that the subjects I'm taking for A level might be considered 'soft'. I'm probably taking Drama, Philosophy, English Language and Media studies. I looked on what the Russell groups consider soft and they included a few of the A levels I'm probably taking - however I don't want to go to a russell group uni, I want to do acting and drama when I'm older so there wouldn't be any point in me taking chemistry, maths ext. Do you think my subjects are too 'soft'??

Hey as someone who took Philosophy via AQA.... its not worth it, please pick something else
Reply 5
Original post by Rikudou_Sennin
Hey as someone who took Philosophy via AQA.... its not worth it, please pick something else

why do you say that? as someone who's really keen on doing the subject i'm curious.
Yeah I'm also taking AQA Philosophy. What's wrong with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
why do you say that? as someone who's really keen on doing the subject i'm curious.

I was really curious as well, as a subject alone I think it is really thought provoking and engaging depending on whether you got a good teacher. But the big problem in this instance is AQA, they are known to mess up big time when it comes to exams and stuff.

Its just my 2 cents tbh. I just hope you get a good teacher that can make it both fun and make sure you pass the exams

My whole class ****ked up the exam

If you don't want to go to a Russell group then why would it even matter? Most Universities don't even have a list of "soft" subjects. Surely if you want to go on to do drama then having those subjects (even though they are considered soft by some) would be more beneficial.

I did Fine Art, Product Design and Sociology at A2... all three could be considered "soft" yet I was going into art/design so it made the most sense to take those subjects, screw what some places think, they were relevant courses to the field I wanted to pursue. You said yourself there would be no point in doing other subjects so what's it matter what others think.

Quick Reply

Latest