The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by labby
I found OMAM the harder of the two because it was so general. I really enjoyed the LOTF question - like your friend I talked about masks and clothing and so on because I didnt feel I could cover two different events in enough detail myself.

Cool. Which poetry cluster did you do? And what did you think of the unseen?
Reply 101
Original post by veni_vidi_vasi
Cool. Which poetry cluster did you do? And what did you think of the unseen?

I did Relationships and I did the question on Ghazal, although I didnt particularly like it as a poem. I preferred Farmer's Bride as a poem but the question was too limiting. The unseen was good in that the poem was easy enough to understand and analyse.
Original post by labby
I did Relationships and I did the question on Ghazal, although I didnt particularly like it as a poem. I preferred Farmer's Bride as a poem but the question was too limiting. The unseen was good in that the poem was easy enough to understand and analyse.

I hated The Farmer's Bride after the first reading. However, after three or four full readings, I started to really like the poem and see the beauty of it.
Reply 103
Original post by Decerto
I hated The Farmer's Bride after the first reading. However, after three or four full readings, I started to really like the poem and see the beauty of it.

There was something very rustic about it, and I really felt that it captured the essence of the rural community. I agree there was something beautiful about it, in the way that it described nature and the bride, and made them almost one
I got an A* with 187 UMS marks.

I studied the Relationships area of the poetry anthology and read the books Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird but decided to do Of Mice and Men in my exam.

I also studied the Sunlight on the grass anthology.

I got an A* in my controlled assessment on Romeo & Juliet.

I got A* in both Paper 1 and Paper 2
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 105
Hi, my daughter got an A* but the results sheet only lists the coursework grade (we knew she had an A* in that) and we expected the exam grade to be listed too. The exam office in her school insists that the A* is her overall grade and that AQA don't issue the exam grade separately. Is that correct as it seems odd to me?
Original post by labby

The rhythm of Ghazal won me over, as did the wordplay. Out of all of them, it was my favourite... though I have to say that Farmer's Bride came second. I got lucky with the choices :biggrin: I wasn't expecting them to be on poems I liked, and to be honest I was expecting a nasty question on To His Coy Mistress.
Original post by Smileyk
Hi, my daughter got an A* but the results sheet only lists the coursework grade (we knew she had an A* in that) and we expected the exam grade to be listed too. The exam office in her school insists that the A* is her overall grade and that AQA don't issue the exam grade separately. Is that correct as it seems odd to me?

For some subjects (e.g. most Maths GCSEs and most IGCSEs, all that come out on the results sheet is the overall grade. However the school does have access to a breakdown of the marks scored in different units.
Original post by Smileyk

I received each unit UMS grade, but your daughter's school may issue things differently. If she asks her English teacher or the Head of English at her school, she should be able to find out the Unit 1 and 2 grades and marks.

Quick Reply

Latest