The Student Room Group

What was leaving home for uni like?

I'm metaphorically a bundle of nerves atm! I mean I'm excited about the prospect, but at the same time, I am soooo nervous about not knowing anyone, managing my life myself, doing my own laundry...:wink: What was it like for you?
I started university with really really bad social anxiety, but leaving home was the best thing for me. I had the best year of my life.
it's emotional the first time it's better if you mum and dad leave you as soon as you have set up your room but then you get to meet everyone in your hall and it's all good so fun and upsetting at the same time the next year just fun
Reply 3
Yeah it was emotional ngl but seriously once you start the nerves disappear. Just enjoy the experience and try your hardest to keep your nerves to a minimum:smile:
I only live 1 hour away from my uni so i didn't get too emotional on the journey there. However, i did get a bit homesick by the end of the first week as i had never been away from home for more than a week :/

I'm so glad I chose to move into halls away from home, as i've gained so much independence and confidence from doing so :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
honestly i got lucky, i met a lot of my housemates on facebook before i went. the main thing is get there, get unpacked, say goodbye to your parents and then keep the door open. its nervy for the first day or two, but you will soon get into the swing of things.
Original post by SophieSmall
I started university with really really bad social anxiety, but leaving home was the best thing for me. I had the best year of my life.

Same here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was extremely nervous and it was pretty emotional! I was terrified of going and introducing myself to who I was living with and suddenly being left by my parents :tongue: I was also really excited to be living somewhere new though and the negative feelings were gone within a few hours of me moving in :smile:
Very strange and unfamiliar when my parents left & for the first couple of nights, especially as I struggled to speak to anyone & felt intimidated, but once I got talking to people properly & made some friends I started to prefer it to being at home & found being at home in the holidays really annoying for a while because I was so used to my independence, although that's not so much of a problem now. I don't regret going away from home for uni at all as despite the ups and downs of the last 3 years, I think it's given me some valuable life experience and helped me to grow up a bit and gain confidence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending