The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Normally, you can just go to the faculty office of the department you can switch to and they tell you what's possible. But without sounding alarmist, Arabic is, in language courses, terribly popular and thus it may be difficult to switch to. There's nothing you can do other than ring the department asap to see if you can switch now before the induction glut of switching happens.
Reply 2
Cunning Linguist
Would it be possible to change courses as long as it's not a "drastic" change in the first few weeks of uni?

I'd love to do Arabic instead of Linguistics (so French & Arabic instead of French & Linguistics)

Has anyone done this before? Do you have to start writing another personal statement or summat? (or at-least say why you want to do it?) or do they just "let you do it"?

Well, my course wasn't language related, but I transferred from MSci Neuroscience to BA Art History :p: just before my May exams.

My point is, if such a drastic change is possible, a less drastic change is likely to be possible. You just have to convince your interviewer, which I, thankfully, managed :p:
Reply 3
Yea.. my friend is at Manchester, and she changed from English Literature to BioMed over the phone before she went up. Maybe you should call up beforehand then... definitely have your case laid out as to why you want to do arabic. You could even say you've found out you hate linguistics, because they have to give you the palce anyway. Good luck.
Drsmeeth changed from Spanish/Portugeuse to Spanish/German by sending an email asking to change a while ago, I think she just had to explain why she wanted to switch.
Reply 5
Im currently in the process of trying to have my course changed from Human Physiology to German and Arabic. Im not sure if i'll be successful. What do you think are the chances of them letting me make this change? Im going to Leeds Uni btw.
Basically, Ive always been good at, and had a passion for, languages but my family wanted me to do medicine (typical!). So I applied for medicine and was duly rejected by all 4 of my choices. Then my family told me to do a biomed course and do a post-grad course in medicine, but now ive realised that its my life not theirs and i want to do something i enjoy, and not spend 7 years at uni dooing something i hate followed by a lifetime of doing a job i'd hate!
Mubz
Im currently in the process of trying to have my course changed from Human Physiology to German and Arabic. Im not sure if i'll be successful. What do you think are the chances of them letting me make this change? Im going to Leeds Uni btw.
Basically, Ive always been good at, and had a passion for, languages but my family wanted me to do medicine (typical!). So I applied for medicine and was duly rejected by all 4 of my choices. Then my family told me to do a biomed course and do a post-grad course in medicine, but now ive realised that its my life not theirs and i want to do something i enjoy, and not spend 7 years at uni dooing something i hate followed by a lifetime of doing a job i'd hate!

I don't what the chances of them letting you change are, I just wanted to say well done for sticking up for yourself!
Reply 7
Thankyou!.........wish me luck!
Reply 8
I'm in a slightly odd situation, as I applied to do English at Exeter but, since I only did my English A-Level this year (having been on my gap year, then another year of nothing due to bad organisation beforehand), there were some complications with my UCAS form and Exeter didn't actually know I was doing the A-Level and hence rejected me!

However, the twist in my little tale is that I had previously done a French A-Level and received an A, and Exeter very kindly made me an offer to study French instead. At the moment, I'm registered for French and Film Studies, but I'm giving serious thought to changing to English when I arrive (because of the Language Dept.'s kindness in making me the second offer, I feel slightly bad about changing before I even get there).

However, I'd imagine English is one of the most popular courses, so I'm a little anxious about whether there'd be room for me (I've got the marks, A* at GCSE and a very strong A at A-Level, and my passion for the subject is there for all to see), and whether a change from a modern language to English Lit. is actually possible? Is the English dropout rate high? If anyone would be superb enough to offer some enlightenment, I'd appreciate it.

Latest

Trending

Trending