The Student Room Group

To those applying for 2015 entry

Some of you Applying for 2015 entry will doubtless be considering or actually feel sure that you will be living at home I feel that a few things you guys need to consider before applying as many of you will be starting your UCAS forms very soon i thought I'd post this now you know to give you time to mull it over.

1\ Cost: This is usually one of the most deciding factors when people decide to live at home while in some faces it can be cheaper to live at home in many cases it's not. a bog standard hall costs around £60 or £90 for en-suite if we look at an example of my brothers first year he had 4 days in uni (3-4 days is usual for first years for some courses like engineering or Medicine it can be 5 days) it would now cost him with a student rail card £20 a day which would be £80 a weeks by living in halls he could save £20 which is more than enough for a weeks food shop he could even have afforded a visit home with those savings.

2\Travel:This is one of the main things that People talk about a lot but don't see it until they are at uni travelling is tiring and can be expensive it also is time consuming you may think oh I can get work done on the train. More often than not you won't you can do work on trains as in organise meetings sort out your files but academic work is never done or done well above a level standard on a train. Also it is time consuming a 2 hour train journey in to uni and out is 2-4 hours gone which you could use for studying or other things.<

3\Social life: How social do you wan to be unless you are a 10 minute walk or have very accommodating parents who are happy to pick you up at all hours or you can go out without drinking and drive home your social life will not be as good as those living out especially in the first 3-4 months the first 2 months are often pretty lonely for commuting students.

4\ The Timetable: no one ever ever considers this but this is not school or collage or even work this is a completely different beast all together. Your time table could have excellent days with hour ling breaks between lectures which is nice you can get work done etc etc. Or you could get 9-8 or even 9-9 I saw once with only a 1 hour break for lunch not good would you really wan t a long journey after that didn't think so. or what about a day where you have a lecture from 9-10 and then another from 6-7 and nothing in between sure you could work in the library but not for more than 4 hours effectively and still get the full benefit from the lectures. Where do you go in the mean time?

So how do you avoid these pit falls I would do a dry run especially to avoid points 1 and 2 to avoid point 4 on your dry run do it on a week day and find out if there is any where you can see the time table usually (on the factually or course notice board) just ask at reception they will give you directions.<br><br>point 3 is something only you can know and you will have to use your judgement.

Many people will mention the pros and cons of commuting and staying home but these questions hopefully help you decide what to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
bump
Reply 2
Very useful information - thank you for this!
Original post by Rose9797
Very useful information - thank you for this!

Thanks hopefully those who see it will make the right decision also to those who use it let me know what you decide and if i helped at all.
Very useful, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems to be getting to the time of year when this might help so bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice thread, have you thought about developing it a little?

I think that this would work as a guide on our Wiki if we can develop it a little. :smile:

Keep an eye on your inbox in the near future. :h:
Original post by Roving Fish

I think that this would work as a guide on our Wiki if we can develop it a little. :smile:

How would you like it developed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roving Fish
QFA

as requested

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending