The Student Room Group

What's next after this terrible results day?

I was honestly thinking of applying to Cambridge to study Economics before Results day, but the Results day has taken me by surprize.

I got 8A* 2A 1B 1C for my GCSEs and also got an A for Add. Maths FSMQ.
I also got predicted A*aaa by the end of lower sixth. The current subjects that I take are Double Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics. However, this went down the drain completely as I missed the A* in Maths by 11UMS and a in Economics by 8UMS, so this left me with Aaab.

This has put me in a completely different situation, I don't think I am able to get an A for Economics anymore, but I would still like to study Economics/Finance at University, preferably UCL (Economics and Finance).

I'm 100% certain that UCL Economics will require me to get an A at Economics, but does this also apply to Economics and Finance? What are my chances of getting an offer from UCL if so from either course? Is Business Management a better course for me? Should I change to a degree that is more scientifically orientated, like engineering?
I can see how life must be hard for you.

If you are being serious, that doesn't rule you out from Cambridge or anywhere else completely.

I have a friend who got an A in maths A level, applied to Oxford for maths and still got an offer on the conditions he resat and got an A*. He turned down the offer in the end and is now at Warwick studying maths with me.

For the love of god don't swap studying econ for business management, nor not apply to somewhere because you got a b in econ AS and A at maths A level. A lot of unis don't even ask for econ A level to study econ degree.

I can't tell you your odds of getting an offer, but I would say it's still worth applying.
(edited 9 years ago)
All you can do is a) check the requirement for these courses on the course websites, b) talk to your teachers about what they think your eventual A2 grades could be. After that its up to you and how much effort you are prepared to put in.
Pay no attention to "predicted" grades. Take control of your own destiny.
Original post by Jellyfish19
I was honestly thinking of applying to Cambridge to study Economics before Results day, but the Results day has taken me by surprize.

I got 8A* 2A 1B 1C for my GCSEs and also got an A for Add. Maths FSMQ.
I also got predicted A*aaa by the end of lower sixth. The current subjects that I take are Double Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics. However, this went down the drain completely as I missed the A* in Maths by 11UMS and a in Economics by 8UMS, so this left me with Aaab.

This has put me in a completely different situation, I don't think I am able to get an A for Economics anymore, but I would still like to study Economics/Finance at University, preferably UCL (Economics and Finance).

I'm 100% certain that UCL Economics will require me to get an A at Economics, but does this also apply to Economics and Finance? What are my chances of getting an offer from UCL if so from either course? Is Business Management a better course for me? Should I change to a degree that is more scientifically orientated, like engineering?

I don't know the entry requirements for UCL econ&finance but I assume it's around AAA, so you'll probably get an offer for that. If you want to 'aim higher' then you should consider applying post a2 with (better) results in hand, especially in maths which is basically a prerequisite for undergrad econ in top 5.
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice guys. Just hoping this will go well next year :/
If you want to do economics, do economics at a different uni. I know a lot of sixth formers get very hung up on Oxbridge, LSE and UCL etc but you should be fine getting in to another established university with those GCSEs if your start to A levels is decent and you have decent predictions.

When you start looking to change subjects and your decision is driven entirely by trying to find an easier route to get in to a particular university then you get problems. And as for changing to a different subject altogether like Engineering, it's not something someone else can answer for you, it's got to be driven by you really wanting to do it and really wanting to be an engineer. When you're at university and exam time or assignment deadlines are looming and you have to read advanced technical textbooks on engineering that's when you will find out how much you really have an internal hunger for the subject.

If you are interested in economics then go for it, if you end up at a uni outside the big guns it's no biggie, there are loads of high flying successful economics graduates out there from a wide range of unis.
8A*s is a terrible results day? You don't even know you're born son. The world is bigger than Cambridge University. Go somewhere else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending