The Student Room Group

Biology and chemistry on HL?

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I can't really see any advantages to taking 4 HLs. Chemistry and Maths are both two very difficult subjects at HL and it's hard enough to manage them with only 3 HLs, let alone 4. I'd definitely considere choosing one subject to SL (maybe slovene, as this seems the least relevant to your other HLs).
You could always start the year with all 4 at HL and then choose which to drop to SL once you get a feel for the subject and meet the teachers.
Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Tajda Marc
Thank you for the reply :smile:
The problem is that slovene is obligatory -.- a actually was thinking about dropping maths to SL... but than again... can I still do that in the middle of the year?

Oh I see - yeah you should be able to. Policies may vary between schools but my school was very flexible about changing subjects.
Reply 3
Hiya,

Yeah I'm having the same problem here. Looking at your choices, are you thinking of going into medicine?
At the moment I've got higher levels: Biology, Chemistry and History. However, I've also got Japanese standard which I Love. So i'm tossing up between going down the medicine route-or a language based route.

I guess it's about choosing the correct combinations for the course at uni you want to do.
hey guys :smile:, I'm starting the ib programe this year and I have already decided that I'm going to take both, biology and chemistry on HL (and maths and slovene) and SL psy,eng ... but now I'm a little bit concerned about my decision ... do you think this is going to be too much?

Hey,

I agree with other members on here that 4 higher levels is a huge task- achievable but very difficult. If i'm being completely honest, you might want to reconsider what higher levels you are doing as two sciences at higher level is notoriously hard, especially when you are also doing maths at HL. My advice would be that unless you are doing a science related course at university that requires two higher level sciences, I would only do the one.

Hope this helps
hey friend, I will help you so much if you could possibly tell me what you want to do in the future or what you are planning to study?
hey guys :smile:, I'm starting the ib programe this year and I have already decided that I'm going to take both, biology and chemistry on HL (and maths and slovene) and SL psy,eng ... but now I'm a little bit concerned about my decision ... do you think this is going to be too much?

Drop the fourth HL and focus on the remaining three. You really want to do your best in IB, especially if you're applying for med. Not many universities in the UK care whether you took four HLs or not.
I'd only take a 4th HL if I was REALLY passionate about the subject. I was initially planning on doing 4 HLs (all three sciences and geography) but decided against as I didn't like physics that much. You must like all of your higher level subjects a lot, but if you choose to take a 4th one, you must like that subject exceptionally. Basically: The IB is enormously time-consuming as it is, I'd only take a 4th HL if I loved the subject and if I would 100% would not view the time spent on that subject as a chore but rather like how an olympic athlete views his training time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending