I am starting IB next year and for my higher level subjects I am picking
-Physics
-Computer Science
-Economics

In IGCSE I got
-A* Physics
-A Computer studies
-A in business studies/ never done Economics before

I was wondering if anyone else has done a combination similar to this and can give me some advice.

If Compsci doesn't work out I may take Film instead.

Also whats it like doing two HL sciences?

Furthermore I havn't found much regarding peoples experience with the subject HL Computer science so anything on that would be helpful.
Reply 1
All of the subjects are relatively similar in their approaches - logically approaching an issue, simplifying it and working out a solution - which is a good thing. This means that even if the subject matter doesn't overlap, the methods you use for learning, revision and answering questions will. With that combination, I would definitely recommend SL maths - maths is an important component of each subject, especially physics, so would really help you out. If you're unsure about computer science then perhaps taking maths at HL and compsci at SL would be better?

Your grades would appear to indicate an ability to do well, provided you work hard, although your maths grade would be a better indicator of success. Taking film would be a significant detriment, as it is nowhere near as well respected as your other options.
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
All of the subjects are relatively similar in their approaches - logically approaching an issue, simplifying it and working out a solution - which is a good thing. This means that even if the subject matter doesn't overlap, the methods you use for learning, revision and answering questions will. With that combination, I would definitely recommend SL maths - maths is an important component of each subject, especially physics, so would really help you out. If you're unsure about computer science then perhaps taking maths at HL and compsci at SL would be better?

Your grades would appear to indicate an ability to do well, provided you work hard, although your maths grade would be a better indicator of success. Taking film would be a significant detriment, as it is nowhere near as well respected as your other options.

I am taking Maths SL and I will most likely leave my option choices the way they are, I was just having a few second thoughts.

You made some very good points, thanks for enlightening me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending