The Student Room Group

What would you do?!

Thought I'd post this here!

I missed my firms offer to do Economics at Exeter, and got a place at my insurance (York) but I don't think I want to go to York.

I'm stuck between these two options now; I've been offered a place at Durham University to study Business & Management or I can retake a couple modules and boost my grades up to A*A*A or A*A*A* - I'm not too far off! And then reapply to study just straight economics. However, in my gap year I'm just going to focus on my modules to ensure I meet the grades, maybe a couple work experience placements but nothing heavy!

So yeah, Durham is an amazing university, however I'm just not sure about the course :frown:

Any advice would be hugely appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itssimplyme

I missed my firms offer to do Economics at Exeter, and got a place at my insurance (York) but I don't think I want to go to York.

I'm stuck between these two options now; I've been offered a place at Durham University to study Business & Management or I can retake a couple modules and boost my grades up to A*A*A or A*A*A* - I'm not too far off! And then reapply to study just straight economics. However, in my gap year I'm just going to focus on my modules to ensure I meet the grades, maybe a couple work experience placements but nothing heavy!

So yeah, Durham is an amazing university, however I'm just not sure about the course :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's simple. Don't do any course that doesn't interest you.
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, I'd take a gap year and try to improve your grades. At the end of the day, I would avoid picking a university or course you don't like. Although you've said you like Durham, at the end of the day you have to be motivated to study the course for 3 years, and I would always pick the course over the uni.
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it is a real informative course and very interesting so go for it 100% :biggrin:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It's simple. Don't do any course that doesn't interest you.

I prefer Economics as a course but Business and Management was also interesting :colondollar: However, I don't know as much about it as I do Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smile:D
Personally, I'd take a gap year and try to improve your grades. At the end of the day, I would avoid picking a university or course you don't like. Although you've said you like Durham, at the end of the day you have to be motivated to study the course for 3 years, and I would always pick the course over the uni.

Thank you for your advice :smile:

Original post by Zaray
Well it is a real informative course and very interesting so go for it 100% :biggrin:

Thanks! Assuming you mean Business & Management here. Do you study it/have you studied it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I prefer Economics as a course but Business and Management was also interesting :colondollar: However, I don't know as much about it as I do Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you aware that Durham's Business & Management course is not taught in the beautiful cathedral city but in the rather down-at-heel town of Stockton, some 25 miles away?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, only you can make that choice, but it sounds to me like it's a course which is always going to be your second choice, and there's no reason why that should be. A gap year is better than making do.
Original post by ageshallnot
Are you aware that Durham's Business & Management course is not taught in the beautiful cathedral city but in the rather down-at-heel town of Stockton, some 25 miles away?

Fully aware; it's based at Queens Campus. But students at the Stockton campus have full access to everything at the main city campus in Durham.

Thanks for pointing it out, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot

God, yes, I forgot to mention that bit! It's the reason that course is always in clearing!
Well, only you can make that choice, but it sounds to me like it's a course which is always going to be your second choice, and there's no reason why that should be. A gap year is better than making do.

Ah, okay :smile: Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Why on earth is wrong with York?
Original post by samba
Why on earth is wrong with York?

Nothing, it's a lovely university - I've just had a very strange, confusing, terrible week and made some bad decisions I guess. :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing, it's a lovely university - I've just had a very strange, confusing, terrible week and made some bad decisions I guess. :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if it were me, I'd take York over Durham/Stockton any day of the week, for what it's worth.
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if it were me, I'd take York over Durham/Stockton any day of the week, for what it's worth.

Tbh, I agree with lilyrose. If you had concerns about the course or something, or being too far from home (north :p:) I'd say differently. I'd certainly prefer York to Durham personally. It's a solid university, a lovely town, and yea... if the course is good, do it.

Remember you always have the opportunity to transfer (maybe to Exeter?) if things go wrong.

I do understand that disappointment can lead to rash decisions, but really, York is solid :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending