The Student Room Group

Grades don't measure intelligence?

Agree or disagree? Just wondering what people's opinions are :smile:
Disagree. Grades, undoubtedly to some extent measure intelligence. When somebody grasps a difficultly worded question and quickly responds with the appropriate material and is able to subsequently recall said material and then present it in a coherent fashion, whilst remembering exam guidelines, all within the parameters of a 1-2 hour exam- it's safe ro say there is some intelligence. This doesn't mean however, that those that don't get exceptional grades aren't intelligent. They may simply despise the education system and not want to conform; kudos to them. But the majority of intelligent people realise that for anyone to ever consider them for what they're really worth, they will have to demonstrate prowess in exams- if only to woo future employees/universities. Even if they despise it, they recognise the importance of it and are intelligent enough to prioritise the attainment of grades more than other things.

This is just a general theory, but I think it applies to many.
Original post by WinterApproaches
Disagree. Grades, undoubtedly to some extent measure intelligence. When somebody grasps a difficultly worded question and quickly responds with the appropriate material and is able to subsequently recall said material and then present it in a coherent fashion, whilst remembering exam guidelines, all within the parameters of a 1-2 hour exam- it's safe ro say there is some intelligence. This doesn't mean however, that those that don't get exceptional grades aren't intelligent. They may simply despise the education system and not want to conform; kudos to them. But the majority of intelligent people realise that for anyone to ever consider them for what they're really worth, they will have to demonstrate prowess in exams- if only to woo future employees/universities. Even if they despise it, they recognise the importance of it and are intelligent enough to prioritise the attainment of grades more than other things.

This is just a general theory, but I think it applies to many.

Some good points there but surely intelligence is also measured on the ability to gain knowledge and apply it and link it to real-life situations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by enaayrah
Some good points there but surely intelligence is also measured on the ability to gain knowledge and apply it and link it to real-life situations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've posted this elsewhere on SR but intelligence is hard to define and measure. There is no real agreed upon standard of intelligence and IQ is widely disreputed as measuring only certain facets of it.
I think success in exams can display a form of intelligence, i.e. fact recollection, reading comprehension, verbal ability. But also that lack of success in an exam is not a definite indicator of a lack of.
Original post by enaayrah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which a lot of questions on exams require; often the difference between an A and A*. I didn't say that grades were exclusively the only way to measure intelligence, just a way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending