The Student Room Group

Emotions prevent me from having a constructive debate

When i feel passionate about something such as in an argument/debate/dispute, I lose the ability to coherently make a point. Basically emotion clouts my opinions and I have so much going on in my head that I struggle to actually clearly make a point. This is the case especially if what I have to say is spontaneous and I cannot write it down. When people say "I am so angry I am not going to bother arguing" or when I have such strong opinions on say a news event, it gets to the point where I don't even bother giving my point of view or argument. Another real life example is that today I wanted to go to the gym and my mum said I can't go because she thinks I am getting obsessed/addicted with it. This really wound me up as I'm trying to become a stronger version of myself (physically and mentally by dedicating myself to something). And at 20 I should be able to be more independent; especially if it is a healthy habit. There is so much I could have argued about and because I felt like it was such a ludicrous decision I just didn't say anything. Even now I am wound up so I haven't fully explained what was going through my head. I hope you understand what I mean and what advice could you give?

PS: It doesn't always have to be in an argument. Could be in more of a formal debate. And the example above was just 1 example of many so don't put too much emphasis onto that in your reply!
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending