The Student Room Group

Failed first year at Imperial, don't know what to do next

I found out a few weeks ago that I failed first year at Imperial. When I first started I was on EEE then after a few weeks I swapped to Computing. I failed at Computing and now, a few months later I've been asked to withdraw from college. I failed because I didn't try for the first few months and I wanted to leave. When I finally decided I wanted to stay it was too late to get caught up with the work load. Now I don't know what to do. All of my friends are in London and I'm back at home (in Ireland). I want to go back to Imperial to study my original course but my only chances of that are for 2015 entry if they'll even consider my UCAS application. I need any advice you can give. I don't know what to do with myself for a year with nothing to do and all of my friends being so far away.
Original post by patlav94
I found out a few weeks ago that I failed first year at Imperial. When I first started I was on EEE then after a few weeks I swapped to Computing. I failed at Computing and now, a few months later I've been asked to withdraw from college. I failed because I didn't try for the first few months and I wanted to leave. When I finally decided I wanted to stay it was too late to get caught up with the work load. Now I don't know what to do. All of my friends are in London and I'm back at home (in Ireland). I want to go back to Imperial to study my original course but my only chances of that are for 2015 entry if they'll even consider my UCAS application. I need any advice you can give. I don't know what to do with myself for a year with nothing to do and all of my friends being so far away.

Really, withdraw?
Other uni's would allow you to retake the exams over summer or the following year?
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
Really, withdraw?
Other uni's would allow you to retake the exams over summer or the following year?

I had hoped to be allowed to retake the exams but unfortunately it was an immediate withdrawal. I even asked about my tutor about applying for an appeal due to some health problems I was having and she told me not to even bother applying for one.
Reply 3
About 7 years ago, Bristol University had this policy that if you fail first year, you're out. My brother failed his first year and got kicked out; he wasn't allowed to repeat/resit. He was desperate to go back so he went back to his university, arranged a meeting with the principal, head of the department and a few other people higher up and successfully persuaded them to let him back in. So I guess that's one option you can take if you're determined. I'm sure people here can offer you some other alternatives.

south-park-s14e11c02-captain-hindsight-16x9.jpg

I'm quite surprised they actually kicked you out without letting you do retakes? you must of really done **** all that year lol....
(edited 9 years ago)

You should be able to appeal this if you have mitigating circumstances. My advice would be to look into it ASAP and the evidence sorted out e.g. Doctors notes, etc. Best of luck.
I had hoped to be allowed to retake the exams but unfortunately it was an immediate withdrawal. I even asked about my tutor about applying for an appeal due to some health problems I was having and she told me not to even bother applying for one.

Appeal, forget what your tutor has said, she seems well not a very good tutor at all...send emails, etc to everyone about your circumstances. Contact your Student Union about this unfair position they have placed on you. And appeal, seek advice from your union, if not try NUS for help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending