The Student Room Group

Which ISP do you have?

Hi,

I'll be moving into my new flat in September (we're students) and we will be chosing our ISP. We have no fixed landline. Which ISP do you have? And do they throttle your speeds? For instance, I love to torrent using clients such as uTorrent and at home requently get download speeds of approx 1 mb/s on files of all sizes, mainly in the 3 - 15GB range. What speeds do you have and which provider do you use?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I used Virgin and get download speeds of 33Mbps, with upload speeds of 1.98Mbps.
Reply 2
Original post by pane123
I used Virgin and get download speeds of 33Mbps, with upload speeds of 1.98Mbps.

Do you torrent? And what's the bill like per month? :biggrin:

Edit: And if you do torrent, do they throttle? what kinds of speeds would you generally get using a client?
I doubt there exist an ISP that doesn't throttle your speeds when you download torrents.
Reply 4
Original post by Alfissti
I doubt there exist an ISP that doesn't throttle your speeds when you download torrents.

My current one doesn't; however I'm still curious as to what other ISPs are up to!
Orange, and they are complete crap, I live in quite a rural area so I have 6mb down 0.5mb up, can't wait to get to university and have decent internet for once..
Reply 6
Original post by mad-marek
My current one doesn't; however I'm still curious as to what other ISPs are up to!

Then stick to yo current one. What is it by the way? For me the best ISP is based on:

1. price.
2. speed.
3. how likely they are to throttle
4. do they block a lot of good sites e.g. where you can stream movies.
TalkTalk.

Really have no need for anything more expensive or faster at home. As a postgraduate I'll spend most of my time at the campus doing work and can use the facilities there.
Reply 8
Do you torrent? And what's the bill like per month? :biggrin:

Edit: And if you do torrent, do they throttle? what kinds of speeds would you generally get using a client?

I don't Torrent any more, but I used to get capped at about 1Mbps. I also don't know what the price is as I just pay it without thinking about it.
Virgin Media. Haven't done a speed test but tend to get download speeds of up to 4MBps (32Mbps).

I don't torrent much anymore, and when it is it is legitimately things like operating systems. Virgin don't seem to throttle the speed at all.

We pay £17/month between 4 of us. Given that there's rarely anybody torrenting or heavy uploading this is pretty decent for us.
Reply 10
Original post by elohssa
Then stick to yo current one. What is it by the way? For me the best ISP is based on:

1. price.
2. speed.
3. how likely they are to throttle
4. do they block a lot of good sites e.g. where you can stream movies.

at home I'm on sky: http://recombu.com/digital/news/isp-traffic-management-bt-sky-virgin-media-ee-talktalk_M11045.html

At the moment they don't seem to throttle... .I can get downloading torrent speeds of like 1-2mbs which is fairly good.

They block most straming websites except one or two, but the locker is never blocked :biggrin:
at home I'm on sky: http://recombu.com/digital/news/isp-traffic-management-bt-sky-virgin-media-ee-talktalk_M11045.html

At the moment they don't seem to throttle... .I can get downloading torrent speeds of like 1-2mbs which is fairly good.

They block most straming websites except one or two, but the locker is never blocked :biggrin:

Hey I have Sky too, what do you mean by the locker is never blocked?
Reply 12
BT Infinity - Very fast, but also rather pricey

64Mbps Down (8MB/s max download speed), approx 3.2Mbps Upload
EE, 33mb down and 19mb up, torrent downloads with good seeds are around 3-4mb download.
I'm currently on BT Broadband where I'm paying around £15/month (17mb down/1mb up), I'm a fan of torrents and so there's no throttling.

Currently waiting on BT Infinity to upgrade the cabinet over the next few months so should be able to hit 80mb down/20mb up once it becomes available as I practically live next to the cabinet.
Reply 15
Original post by Blyts-_
Hey I have Sky too, what do you mean by the locker is never blocked?

put locker.
Reply 16
I have Virgin Media broadband and usually get around 22mb download speed and 2mb upload speed, but I'm planning to upgrade to a better Virgin package which will give me 150mb download speed and 12mb upload speed.
Reply 17
VM. 100 down. 6up.
VM.

30 down, 3up.
Went from Bt to Virgin and now I'm back on BT. I get 4 - 5MB/s down and about 1.5 up.
I've experienced no throttles and I download games a LOT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending