The Student Room Group

Received My GCSE results, and now thinking on what to do.. .

I did average in my GCSE not the best although they wasn't the worst.

I'm stressing out that I have to choose 3 subjects that basically could define my career for the rest of my life.

The subjects at A-level I have chosen to study is Biology, psychology and ICT.

Has anyone done these a-level before, it would be extremely helpful for an insight on each subject. Also if they are difficult?

What sort of course could I study at university with these subjects?

Thanks you
Original post by TheJCEP
I did average in my GCSE not the best although they wasn't the worst.

I'm stressing out that I have to choose 3 subjects that basically could define my career for the rest of my life.

The subjects at A-level I have chosen to study is Biology, psychology and ICT.

Has anyone done these a-level before, it would be extremely helpful for an insight on each subject. Also if they are difficult?

What sort of course could I study at university with these subjects?

Thanks you

Do not stress! The A-levels will not 'define' your career. They are a stepping stone to get you into university at this time in your life. And there are several other routes into university in the immediate future or at some later point in your life.

Choosing your A-levels is difficult. If you have an idea of the career you want to pursue, then you need to research the entry requirments for relevant degrees. That will tell you which A-levels you need to think about.

If you have no idea what career you would like to follow, then a balanced set of A-levels in so called 'facilitating' subjects is a wise decision. Choose from Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, History and Modern Languages.

Biology, Psychology and ICT are good as stand alone A-levels. But for them to get you onto the widest range of relevant university courses, they are perhaps not the best partners together.

However, there is also a school of thought that says, if you like something then you are ore likely to do well at it. In which case the three you have chosen are fine, but be aware that you may also need further qualifications at a later date (when you have a definite career in mind) that you will need for entry to an approprate degree for that career choice.

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest