The Student Room Group

Chemistry degree: HELLLLLLLP

I think I've decided to do a degree in chemistry once I finish my final year of A levels. I'm currently on AAAB from my AS year including an A in chemistry but I didn't take maths or any other science. I'm just wondering if I'd be able to cope with the level of maths in a chem degree because I didn't take it for A level.
Anyone in the same position? Anyone doing a chemistry degree care to shed some light?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by DJC1996
I think I've decided to do a degree in chemistry once I finish my final year of A levels. I'm currently on AAAB from my AS year including an A in chemistry but I didn't take maths or any other science. I'm just wondering if I'd be able to cope with the level of maths in a chem degree because I didn't take it for A level.
Anyone in the same position? Anyone doing a chemistry degree care to shed some light?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most degree courses that don't require maths have maths top-up sessions for those students that didn't do A-level maths. There is a fair amount of maths in Chemistry degree courses, mainly on the Physical side.

Did you do AS Physics?
Original post by DJC1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where / what are you planning to study? If it's a general chemistry course rather than some pharma spin off, you'll need maths to be frank. So much of chemistry involves maths to A-level standard. Physical chemistry is essentially all maths and i would imagine impossible without at least A-level maths.

How are you finding the maths problems in your chem course? If you're finding them hard because you can;t do the maths then you'll really gonna have to reconsider. If it comes naturally then you may be able to work around it.
Reply 4
Original post by DJC1996

You are unlikely to cope at a russell group. My (Oxford) course covered most of further maths. You could look into taking AS maths?But there is a lot of mathematics around the quantum side and theoretical points of the course. Maybe an organic chem specific course would take you?

Quick Reply

Latest