The Student Room Group

Can exes be friends?

Hey so I got out of a long term relationship well over a year ago now. He broke up with me and wanted to stay friends but I cut contact. However a few months ago he got back in touch over something small that we still needed to sort out and the we have exchanged a few messages since then. Recently he suggested we meet up for a drink.

I believe his intentions are purely platonic. I know from facebook that he got into a relationship very soon after we broke up and from what I can tell they are in love and it is a serious relationship.

I never really replied to the message about meeting up but now I am considering it. Part of me thinks it would be nice to have him as a friend because after all we were very close at one point. The other part is worried it might open old wounds again. Especially since he has moved on and is in a loving relationship. I have had a fairly casual 6 month relationship and a couple of flings but nothing close to being in love. I don't mind this as I was not looking to get into a relationship and I am still not. i have done plenty of other things over the past year and I feel as though I am taking advantage of my youth a lot more now than I was when we were together. However it does still worry me that emotionally he seems to be a lot more moved on that me.

My friend thinks I should meet him as she says it might be the final bit of closure I need as I may have put him on a pedastal after not seeing him in so long. So what do you guys think?

Part of me also thinks he was just suggesting meeting up as a polite way of ending the conversation?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey so I got out of a long term relationship well over a year ago now. He broke up with me and wanted to stay friends but I cut contact. However a few months ago he got back in touch over something small that we still needed to sort out and the we have exchanged a few messages since then. Recently he suggested we meet up for a drink.

I believe his intentions are purely platonic. I know from facebook that he got into a relationship very soon after we broke up and from what I can tell they are in love and it is a serious relationship.

I never really replied to the message about meeting up but now I am considering it. Part of me thinks it would be nice to have him as a friend because after all we were very close at one point. The other part is worried it might open old wounds again. Especially since he has moved on and is in a loving relationship. I have had a fairly casual 6 month relationship and a couple of flings but nothing close to being in love. I don't mind this as I was not looking to get into a relationship and I am still not. i have done plenty of other things over the past year and I feel as though I am taking advantage of my youth a lot more now than I was when we were together. However it does still worry me that emotionally he seems to be a lot more moved on that me.

My friend thinks I should meet him as she says it might be the final bit of closure I need as I may have put him on a pedastal after not seeing him in so long. So what do you guys think?

Part of me also thinks he was just suggesting meeting up as a polite way of ending the conversation?

The dude still likes you haha he probs made the excuse to meet up with you. No way do people just get over someone that fast then get into another relationship straight away.
The dude still likes you haha he probs made the excuse to meet up with you. No way do people just get over someone that fast then get into another relationship straight away.

agree:wink:
Reply 3
Reply 4

I don't know. I was the one to open the way to communication really because I readded him on facebook and that's what prompted him to message me. If I hadn't have added him I wouldn't have heard from him. I think he probably took it as me saying it was okay for us to be friends now - which it was.

And yeah I don't think it was particularly healthy for him to jump into a new relationship straight away but considering its gone on for a year now and they seem to spend quite a lot of time together I think it's a little more than a rebound. For the first few month it was very casual as far as I can tell (I still talk to some of our mutual friends).
Is he still in a relationship and wants to meet up with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Stickman
Is he still in a relationship and wants to meet up with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah... but I really think it's just platonic. I know him and I know what our relationship was like. At worst I think he might want to try to keep me as a back up in case things dont pan out with the new girl.. but even then I'm not sure and I don't want to get back together with him anyway.
Yeah... but I really think it's just platonic. I know him and I know what our relationship was like. At worst I think he might want to try to keep me as a back up in case things dont pan out with the new girl.. but even then I'm not sure and I don't want to get back together with him anyway.

Don't meet up with him then if you're not sure, if it'll make you even more confused. I mean sure there's no harm in you just meeting up with him, but if you're still not over him it'll make you even more vulnerable if you meet up and things might not go the way you'd want them to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending