The Student Room Group

Mediocre GCSE but good A Levels?

I have now received my GCSEs but got a lot worse that I thought I would and I put quite a bit of effort into it. I was wondering if anyone has any stories where they didn't so well at GCSE and got AAB+ in their A Levels and how they did it.

I am taking English lit, Geography, Biology and Chemistry at A Level, so any advice would be interested or any motivational or study tips to help me succeed in the future.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noshahmad
I have now received my GCSEs but got a lot worse that I thought I would and I put quite a bit of effort into it. I was wondering if anyone has any stories where they didn't so well at GCSE and got AAB+ in their A Levels and how they did it.

I am taking English lit, Geography, Biology and Chemistry at A Level, so any advice would be interested or any motivational or study tips to help me succeed in the future.

Just curious... How 'mediocre' were your GCSE's?
my friend did really bad well ok in gcses but did really well in alevels and got into ucl
Reply 4

I got 11 B's at GCSE.

Just finished A-levels and have achieved AAB.

Just do all your H/W... go to every lesson... and revise hard a couple months before your exams and you'll be fine.
Original post by ITVBBC
I got 11 B's at GCSE.

Just finished A-levels and have achieved AAB.

Just do all your H/W... go to every lesson... and revise hard a couple months before your exams and you'll be fine.

That's amazing, what did you do for A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiamarni
my friend did really bad well ok in gcses but did really well in alevels and got into ucl

What did they get GCSE & A Level and what degree are they doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only got 3A's at GCSE and ended up with A*BB at a level in maths, physics and chemistry

I only have 5 GCSE's and 2 of them are a grade C.

I also have straight A's at A Level and a 2.1 degree in History. It's doable.
Original post by Mclaren96
I only got 3A's at GCSE and ended up with A*BB at a level in maths, physics and chemistry

How hard did you have to work in order to achieve those grades?
Congrats btw :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
I only have 5 GCSE's and 2 of them are a grade C.

I also have straight A's at A Level and a 2.1 degree in History. It's doable.

This gives me hope. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
What GCSEs did you get.
Im doing all sciences and maths.
How hard did you have to work in order to achieve those grades?
Congrats btw :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Sciences require a lot of work in order to get a good grade. Make sure you do loads of past papers and also make sure you ace the practical exams in chemistry and biology. As long as you do well in your a levels gcses don't matter unless it's medicine/dentistry :smile:
Reply 13
I only got something like 1 A*, 4 A's, 5 B's and 2 C's....

Got A*AA at the end of A2 :wink: You'll be fine if your interested in your subjects - I found it much better since i didnt have to do any bs subjects which i detested like Eng Lit :biggrin:
Original post by VonDoom
What GCSEs did you get.
Im doing all sciences and maths.

I'll PM you them

Posted from TSR Mobile
6A 3B 2C

A*A*A*a*a
Original post by Mclaren96
The Sciences require a lot of work in order to get a good grade. Make sure you do loads of past papers and also make sure you ace the practical exams in chemistry and biology. As long as you do well in your a levels gcses don't matter unless it's medicine/dentistry :smile:

Not considering medicine or dentistry so it shouldn't be a problem, but I am looking to do something in Science or law,
Yeah if anything, I think GCSE helped with the way I learn and I know what works for me, but I'm hoping to get 4As at A level and I'm im willing to put as much work as necessary

Original post by Jkizer
I only got something like 1 A*, 4 A's, 5 B's and 2 C's....

Got A*AA at the end of A2 :wink: You'll be fine if your interested in your subjects - I found it much better since i didnt have to do any bs subjects which i detested like Eng Lit :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to leaving some subjects behind so I can concentrate in the ones that I like, but you did well at GCSE and A Level so that's great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I got A*AABBBBCCCE at GCSE and A*A*A at A Level.

It really is possible to do so much better :smile: Revising regularly and reading around subjects really helped me. I also moved from a pretty crap comprehensive to a sixth form college that was known for it's high performing students and good reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
What did they get GCSE & A Level and what degree are they doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

engineering ddcbbacc alevel he got A A A A (triple sci and maths ) then A* in a2 (he carried all four of them into a2 :/)

he said that he had a really strong personal statement
Reply 19
I'll PM you them

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got similar results; 2A*s, 7A's and a B.
I have seen a thread with people who only got 2A*s and got in.

Quick Reply

Latest