The Student Room Group

15 year old girl from China, AMA

Scroll to see replies

I've just came back from a holiday to Beijing. Do you like living in China?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Have you ever been to Hong Kong? What do you think of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex347_
I've just came back from a holiday to Beijing. Do you like living in China?

It's okay for me really. Chinese people are rather friendly and supportive (I have succeeded in borrowing mobile phones for a call in street from strangers for more than once, true story - but I was younger then), although sometimes we do care too much about other people's affairs.. :smile: There are things that I'm not satisfied with, like the politicians and the pollution, but for the first point I guess this is the same everywhere to some extent and for the second point I live in a seaside city so I don't really suffer from this.
I hope you enjoyed your holiday :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
how do keyboards in china work?
Original post by bottled
how do keyboards in china work?

There are specially designed softwares. All we have to do is to type by either pronunciation or structure of the characters... And the characters pops up and then we just choose the right one. Easy! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Rovensie
There are specially designed softwares. All we have to do is to type by either pronunciation or structure of the characters... And the characters pops up and then we just choose the right one. Easy! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

eh, could you tell me a bit more in detail? i mean do you have like english keyboards and phonetically pronounce it or something?
It's okay for me really. Chinese people are rather friendly and supportive (I have succeeded in borrowing mobile phones for a call in street from strangers for more than once, true story - but I was younger then), although sometimes we do care too much about other people's affairs.. :smile: There are things that I'm not satisfied with, like the politicians and the pollution, but for the first point I guess this is the same everywhere to some extent and for the second point I live in a seaside city so I don't really suffer from this.
I hope you enjoyed your holiday :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree, people are very friendly, but when there's a line or a crowd, it is quite insane :P. I got stuck in a crowd for 25 minutes to cross the damn road! Luckily the air was really good when we went... APEC was being hosted in my hotel, and obviously in the city, so I think that may have had something to do with how strangely good the air was :P. Who knows.

I've had a strong, academic interest in China for a few years now, and I'd deffo love to go back. I think next time in Southern China. Beijing I think, is somewhere you want to go once and then perhaps never again :biggrin:.
Reply 9
Oops sorry I thought you were Chinese :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha that's the only phrase in Chinese I know
Original post by AlphaNick
Hello! I'm doing Mandarin Pre-U this year for AS! I love China, I went last year on a school exchange to Beijing! It was fabulous!

Aww I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :smile: I am ready to help if you have any problem with mandarin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex347_
Yeah I agree, people are very friendly, but when there's a line or a crowd, it is quite insane :P. I got stuck in a crowd for 25 minutes to cross the damn road! Luckily the air was really good when we went... APEC was being hosted in my hotel, and obviously in the city, so I think that may have had something to do with how strangely good the air was :P. Who knows.

I've had a strong, academic interest in China for a few years now, and I'd deffo love to go back. I think next time in Southern China. Beijing I think, is somewhere you want to go once and then perhaps never again :biggrin:.

Went to Beijing twice and never on purpose. Nothing special except for the buildings and the accent :smile: oh and roast duck.
About crossing the road, the tip is just ignore the traffic light and cross the road when you have to.
I haven't said anything :biggrin: follow the traffic light when you can.
Oh and the cities near Yangtze River like Hangzhou and Suzhou are nice, just saying :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lor771
Haha that's the only phrase in Chinese I know

Still it's brilliant. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
What language do you think in?
Original post by godd
What language do you think in?

Chinese when I read or hear Chinese, and English when I come across English, like when answering your question.
And Chinese when I look at sceneries or people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Chinese when I read or hear Chinese, and English when I come across English, like when answering your question.
And Chinese when I look at sceneries or people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about when you think to yourself on your own?
Original post by godd
What about when you think to yourself on your own?

A mixture of Chinese and English I guess. But mostly Chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
A mixture of Chinese and English I guess. But mostly Chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How randomly do you switch thinking languages? Why wouldn't you just think in your BETTER language?
Original post by godd
How randomly do you switch thinking languages? Why wouldn't you just think in your BETTER language?

There're things that I know better in English, for example, the periodic table. Because I first learned it in English. So when I think of elements, I think in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went to Beijing twice and never on purpose. Nothing special except for the buildings and the accent :smile: oh and roast duck.
About crossing the road, the tip is just ignore the traffic light and cross the road when you have to.
I haven't said anything :biggrin: follow the traffic light when you can.
Oh and the cities near Yangtze River like Hangzhou and Suzhou are nice, just saying :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, well I have a particular interest in the Qing Dynasty (I don't support it, or anything weird like that, I just have an interest.) so given that it was always their capital, it's kinda necessary to go :P. Yeah the buildings are amazing, I think the Summer Palace is the best manmade structure, well area on the planet. Absolutely beautiful, but shocking to think that it was made for one person (and with funds which were supposed to be spent on the navy, damn Cixi haha).

LOL, that's alright to say for a local! It's **** scary coming from a small village in England. The crossings are like friggen cricket pitches, and the time the lights stay red are sometimes pretty short in duration. Eee it was an experience.

Yeah, I love the look of Suzhou, there's so many beautiful places in China.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest