The Student Room Group

Putting a Youtube account + Other Online Money Earning on a resume?

Even though it's gaming content, surely growing a relatively large youtube channel with hundreds of thousands of views shows your marketing and promotion skills.

I also make a lot of money through affiliate marketing and referral programs + websites/blogs etc.

I've only just turned 15 and at the rate I'm going I will have all of Uni payed off + car and insurance, apartment, bills etc.... with the growth I'm having I could be working full time online.

I'm going to be applying for Oxbridge with Economics when I'm older and was wondering if I'd be able to put some of this stuff on my personal statement. The stuff I'm doing seems relevant to Economics anyway, and it is unique.

Also, can I put this on a resume for an employer to see as well, or would they not like the fact I have such a large secondary income. It only takes 1/2 hours of maintenance and doesn't stop me from getting good grades + performing well in extra curricular activities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
It depends how seriously YouTube is taken by then but it looks like 'outsiders' are actually starting to pay attention to it. I would put it down if I were you because it's a big deal and it should stand out as something different, plus the earning side of things will show it's more serious than just a hobby. You've got plenty of time to think about it with uni but feel free to give it a 'test run' with a resume first if you're worried.
'Social media marketing' is the pro term
Reply 4
Original post by tillytots
'Social media marketing' is the pro term

I think you're talking about something entirely different, but I practice both I guess. Affiliate marketing is when, through the use of promotion and online advertisements, you attempt to sell someone else's product (but in most cases just bringing people to the product pages will get you revenue). If the user visits the product page through one of your sources e.g. a website and purchases the product, you'll get a percentage of the sale. Nothing to do with social media unless you promote from that source...

Obviously I do social media marketing through youtube and maybe asking people to share my sites from time to time, but there is a massive difference between affiliate marketing and social media marketing, assuming that was what you were referring to.
Original post by Willdono
I think you're talking about something entirely different, but I practice both I guess. Affiliate marketing is when, through the use of promotion and online advertisements, you attempt to sell someone else's product (but in most cases just bringing people to the product pages will get you revenue). If the user visits the product page through one of your sources e.g. a website and purchases the product, you'll get a percentage of the sale. Nothing to do with social media unless you promote from that source...

Obviously I do social media marketing through youtube and maybe asking people to share my sites from time to time, but there is a massive difference between affiliate marketing and social media marketing, assuming that was what you were referring to.

I personally would count youtube as a social media site. I do a similar thing through my blog and have used that term on my CV fine ( get sent beauty products to review and have been made an affiliate so I get commission when people purchase from it)... It's actually worked and I've managed to get a couple on internships. I dunno it's a very 'in term' at the minute and when it gets chucked around (bonus is that it's pretty broad) it has a good success rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending