The Student Room Group

Taking on A2 Maths on my gap year

Hey guys,

So I'm taking a gap year this year, and so far I haven't been able to confirm/secure anything and it's most likely that I'll just be staying at home working etc...nothing exciting.

I want to apply to do chemistry for 2015 entry however I only did AS Maths (which i got a B in, main reason for dropping it) I know maths isn't a requirement for most chemistry unis however people have suggested for me to take it on this year.

If I was to take it on, would I be expected to get an A? Also, do you guys think it would be beneficial for me in terms of increasing my competitiveness with unis? I achieved AAB at A-level with one of the As in chemistry.

The typical unis asking for maths are durham, imperial, york etc but their entry requirements are A*AA-AAA, so I'm wondering if it's even worth it, since I haven't achieved that.

Thanks to anyone who answers :smile:
Reply 1
It's down to how hard you work and how much practice you put in really. I'm on an unplanned gap year and I'm resitting A2 maths, I found it a lot harder than AS but I didn't put in enough work in the end. Literally going to spend the whole of this year working/learning A2 :rolleyes:

And in my opinion, maths is pretty much always beneficial for any application.
Reply 2
Original post by Ryan04
It's down to how hard you work and how much practice you put in really. I'm on an unplanned gap year and I'm resitting A2 maths, I found it a lot harder than AS but I didn't put in enough work in the end. Literally going to spend the whole of this year working/learning A2 :rolleyes:

And in my opinion, maths is pretty much always beneficial for any application.

Are you just doing a2 maths this year then? I agree with you, it really is useful. I'm just wondering in my case if it's worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by zuzu096
Are you just doing a2 maths this year then? I agree with you, it really is useful. I'm just wondering in my case if it's worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I'm just resitting the A2 modules because I did really badly in them and missed my offer. If you've got the time to work really hard for them then I would go for it. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ryan04
Yep, I'm just resitting the A2 modules because I did really badly in them and missed my offer. If you've got the time to work really hard for them then I would go for it. :smile:

Ahh I'm sorry to here that, good luck for this year, I hope you get what you want :smile: Yes, I think I will, I've contacted my sixth form, so just waiting to see what they say :colondollar::tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest