The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

is it possible?

I'm beginning to realise that I wish I'd applied for computer sciences instead of ancient history and archaeology (think I picked that coz I would find it quite easy). Is it possible to completely change department or am I getting myself in a tangle by even thinking it?:confused:
You should be able to change easily i would say, im not 100% though, oh by the way your really cute :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
oh thanks lol.. would I need to get in touch with someone prior to coming to durham or leave it until Im there?
There were a few people who changed from Physics and Geography to CS last year, so it is possible. It's probably best to change now if possible, before you start.

Speak to Brendan Hodgson in the Computer Science dept. He's the Director of Undergraduate Studies for the department and he's a really nice guy, he'll sort you out :smile:

If you do stay with your current course there is a 'Introduction to Programming' module you may be able to do as an elective, providing there aren't any timetable clashes.

If you have any other CS questions, let me know. I've just finished my first year. There is a severe lack of female Computer Scientists, and they'll probably bend over backwards to get you onto the course.
is there anything to do with coomputer game programing?
Reply 5
that sounds mint i want to do that

:rolleyes:

Anyway i was told when i went to loughborough if i wanted to chnage i could within the first week. i was thinking of doing geogrpahy instead of psychology

not sure, id suggest you ring durham as soon as poss and find out
thing is I went really overboard on my personal statement saying how much I like the idea of studying it (probably the reason I got into durham to be honest) they wont be able to just get that out and be like "cant you dedicate yourself to one subject. I miss school; liked studying lots of different things, its hard to pick one thing for the rest of your life
Reply 7
just say you have a passion for archaelogy, but you're not so sure its what you want to do for the rest. So, you thought it more practical to study computing where you can make a decent steady living. (i duno :s-smilie:)

Although you need to be sure you wanna do computing cos theres no use keep swapping as you arent going to get anywhere
thumper_bear_09
is there anything to do with coomputer game programing?

There isn't really anything specific to computer game programming. You do make a few simple games as part of Artificial Intelligence (artificial computer players, that sort of thing), and making simple games as part of an overall learning aim during practical sessions.

I think theres a module in computer graphics in the 2nd or 3rd year, which might include a bit about games (but more graphics related). There are also a few awesome 3D monitors and there are a few people who have done their final year project on studying the effects of true 3D games.

The overall course is a lot more maths related than people might think. There's an extra module you need to do if you don't have A-Level Maths ('Foundations of Computer Science'), so don't worry if your maths isn't totally up to scratch.

Alex
Offtopic:
One of my friends is doing a degree in "Games Computing" at Lincoln Uni. He boasts that according to the Sun, it's the ninth most mickey mouse degree in the country.
Fact.
(His course actually isn't mickey mouse, it just sounds like it is, btw. I've seen some of the stuff they do.)
Reply 10
try football studies
hospitality management
Gambling
tourism and rec
history of art!lol jk jk
p.e
Well, it was only ninth...
Turf Grass Management anyone?:smile:
I heard once that you can do a degree somewhere in brewing and distillary. That has got to be up there
Reply 14
Except that's actually challenging and takes a lot of skill, as any real ale fan will tell you...

Latest