The Student Room Group

AS photography or sociology?

Hi! Firstly can i just say I'm new here so sorry if i posted this on the wrong thread! i recently got my gcse results and i am choosing my a level subjects. I have already chosen biology, chemistry and english language and I'm stuck on my last one. Originally i decided on photography because it looks interesting and is coursework based so would be different to my exam subjects. However i came out with an A* in sociology at GCSE and its given me second thoughts. I know they are both considered 'soft' subjects but i don't mind considering I'm doing two sciences. My questions are:
If you have done photography at AS preferably the same edexcel syllabus then what was it like?
Is sociology the same as it is at GCSE or does it completely change?
Should i make my fourth subject something i enjoy or something I'm good at?
and finally if i drop chem as its probably my weakest out of the four :s-smilie: is alevel biology,english language and photography a good mix? :smile:
Sociology is not weak anymore , there isn't even any coursework involved. Take it above photography
Original post by November229
Hi! Firstly can i just say I'm new here so sorry if i posted this on the wrong thread! i recently got my gcse results and i am choosing my a level subjects. I have already chosen biology, chemistry and english language and I'm stuck on my last one. Originally i decided on photography because it looks interesting and is coursework based so would be different to my exam subjects. However i came out with an A* in sociology at GCSE and its given me second thoughts. I know they are both considered 'soft' subjects but i don't mind considering I'm doing two sciences. My questions are:
If you have done photography at AS preferably the same edexcel syllabus then what was it like?
and finally if i drop chem as its probably my weakest out of the four :s-smilie: is alevel biology,english language and photography a good mix? :smile:

Do you have any ideas of what you want to do in the future? That would help.
Do you have any idea what you want to do after A levels?

It's completely up to you, I personally would recommend doing what you enjoy.
Bear in mind that photography is quite a lot of work (I'm aware that it's not the only subject where this is the case!) because of the fact that it's coursework heavy, but it's perfectly manageable. I also wouldn't worry about which is considered more "soft".
Original post by November229

Id do sociology.
Its more respected then photography.
I did a-level sociology, and i found its similar to gcse, but its more in depth.
Reply 5
Take sociology.

Photography can be a hobby.
Reply 6
Original post by Pectorac
Do you have any ideas of what you want to do in the future? That would help.

Original post by bumblebee342
Do you have any idea what you want to do after A levels?

It's completely up to you, I personally would recommend doing what you enjoy.
Bear in mind that photography is quite a lot of work (I'm aware that it's not the only subject where this is the case!) because of the fact that it's coursework heavy, but it's perfectly manageable. I also wouldn't worry about which is considered more "soft".

It depends on how i do in a levels. If i do well in the sciences then i would drop the subject leaving bio, chem and english and hopefully go into a science related field like veterinary. But i haven't completely decided yet as if i don't do that well in chem i have no real idea of what to do. I have thought about sport journalism but i don't know whether it would suit me as i don't have any experience so its really open to be honest. Im still researching and getting advice
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
Id do sociology.
Its more respected then photography.
I did a-level sociology, and i found its similar to gcse, but its more in depth.

Did you enjoy it at both gcse and a level? throughout the GCSE years i was mostly getting Bs and Cs in classwork with the occasional A in homework but at the start of exam season i really stepped up a notch and managed to bag an A* in all three exams. I know everyone says that at a level you don't get the same grades as you got at GCSE as you either get better or worse. Is this the case with sociology still?
Reply 8
hi guys thanks for the comments. I got careers advice today and i have decided not to take chemistry because i don't like it and even though i wanted to be a vet it would be a lot of pressure to take on and i would need to get an A in it at Alevel which is a lot to ask! Plus there are other jobs I'm interested in like equine science that just needs biology so suits me well. Ive opted for Biology, English Literature, Sociology and photography. I will probably drop photography after the first year but will see how i do. :smile:
Oh gosh I wish I'd got here sooner o_O save yourself from photography. Please save yourself. If you like photography now, you will learn to hate it. It is one thing to take photos because you want to, and another because you HAVE to. 'Only coursework' is so misleading. It sounds easier. Oh no it isn't. Not one little bit. You have to dedicate a LOT of time to photography. Seriously. I spent so so much time on it, was predicted an A, asked my tutor what to do to get an A, did that. Then came out with a C. If at any point you feel your time is being taken from another subject, drop photography AT ONCE. It is so not worth it at all. Uni's will laugh at it, it will do you no worldly benefit other than a possible few more UCAS points. I started off A-levels longing to be a photo-journalist. Now I can barely look at my camera, which upsets me, because I used to LOVE photography. Keep it as a hobby. 'Learning' it sucks. It really does.
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Oh gosh I wish I'd got here sooner o_O save yourself from photography. Please save yourself. If you like photography now, you will learn to hate it. It is one thing to take photos because you want to, and another because you HAVE to. 'Only coursework' is so misleading. It sounds easier. Oh no it isn't. Not one little bit. You have to dedicate a LOT of time to photography. Seriously. I spent so so much time on it, was predicted an A, asked my tutor what to do to get an A, did that. Then came out with a C. If at any point you feel your time is being taken from another subject, drop photography AT ONCE. It is so not worth it at all. Uni's will laugh at it, it will do you no worldly benefit other than a possible few more UCAS points. I started off A-levels longing to be a photo-journalist. Now I can barely look at my camera, which upsets me, because I used to LOVE photography. Keep it as a hobby. 'Learning' it sucks. It really does.

that's awful! i will be taking your word for it
Reply 11
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy

Ahhh that sounds awful! What syllabus did you do? I'm planning to only do photography for one year anyway for me its better than taking another 'academic' subject like history as I'm already doing biology and lit which is a big commitment! I know its a lot of work as you need to write analytically about photographs and photographers and it does require some essays and descriptive writing but i would prefer that over religious studies or history which were really my only two other options left. I also spoke to someone who did photography (at the same place as I'm doing it) just as a fourth subject like me and she really enjoyed it. Its upsetting to hear that it put you off your chosen career!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Sociology is much better than Photography. I advise you not to pick any art subject as an A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd agree that Sociology is preferable to Photography, but not to anything else. I'd suggest you avoid Sociology if you can, I personally found it a boring waste of time, a memory exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest