The Student Room Group

A level problem

Hey, so I enrolled at my 6th form on results day only to find out that all of my subjects clashed and they were all scheduled at the same time. I was planning to do Maths, Chemistry, English Lit & Psychology. The head of 6th form said that he'll rearrange the timetable but I'd have to take Philosophy instead of Psychology and I'd have to go to another school like 5 miles away to study English.

So I'm wondering whether I should just swap English Lit for History as I need an essay subject, but I'm worried because I didn't study History so I'm worried I won't understand it. Any help? :confused:
I did both History and English Literature at AS Level.
Don't worry about not having done History at GCSE, as you will most likely study something completely different from what was done at GCSE, and the essay techniques differ significantly so you'll be in the same boat as everybody else.

The thing about History is it is mainly about remembering information, and then just re-shaping in response to a question. Do some research into the era you'll be studying in History, as my school did Women's Suffrage and Civil Rights in the USA- an odd mix that felt really disjointed.
I got really fed up with History due to that reason, the course was odd and disjointed- so really look into the time frame and areas being covered.

English Lit was great. Although it takes a long time to get used to the exam style and to get your head round the books, towards the end of the year and exam time it is fairly pleasant (IF you've put the work in :wink: )
While both subjects are good, English requires the most work, but is in my opinion the most rewarding so I'd venture out of your college to do it.

What do you hope to go on to do after sixth form?
Reply 2
Hoping to study Computer Science so I only really need Maths and Chemistry, but I want an essay subject too to show that I'm varied. But yeah at my 6th form we'd be studying for history anti-semitism in germany, britian in 1906-51 and international relations
Original post by KaylaB
Hoping to study Computer Science so I only really need Maths and Chemistry, but I want an essay subject too to show that I'm varied. But yeah at my 6th form we'd be studying for history anti-semitism in germany, britian in 1906-51 and international relations

If you want to do Computer Science would either Further Maths or Physics be useful?
Reply 4
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I was originally planning to do further maths instead of psychology but my school told me the day before results day that it will no longer be running. And I'm not really to keen on physics it's quite difficult

Quick Reply

Latest