The Student Room Group

improving my grades

im starting year 11 this September and im going to do my gcse in june. In my mock for maths and science I got C. I am wanting to get A*s in these subjects and would go to any extend to get my grade but I don't no how to pls can some one help and give some tips of revising so I can get the grade I am wanting???
Maths: https://www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS (Edexcel and AQA)

Science: http://www.my-gcsescience.com/ (AQA - but if you're doing a different exam board some of his videos are quite useful :smile:)

And do loads of past papers!!
Original post by aran_kk
im starting year 11 this September and im going to do my gcse in june. In my mock for maths and science I got C. I am wanting to get A*s in these subjects and would go to any extend to get my grade but I don't no how to pls can some one help and give some tips of revising so I can get the grade I am wanting???

Maths: PAST PAPERS ARE YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND. no seriously though just do every past paper and get your teacher to help you with anything you don't understand!

Science: www.mygcsescience.com is awesome! CGP revision app for ipod/iphone is really good on testing basic knowledge, again past papers are like god! And some of my friends use acronyms and songs to remember certain equations and reactions which you could try! Flashcards are also pretty good. Again if you get stuck ask a teacher for help.
Reply 3
cheers thanks a lot you have really helped me !!!! :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by aran_kk

Past papers! Also there are certain topics which come up (definitely in maths) almost every year - so if you get good at those topics it will really help! Things like expanding brackets and equations :smile: You could always ask your teacher what most common topics are in the exams. Also for science I always got told including key terms (like diffusion etc) would get me marks. Hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by aran_kk

Maths - Do loads of past papers and practise questions, Hegarty Maths is amazing for both the basic and A* content and go to any maths revision sessions that are offered to you they really helped me!

Science - I made loads of revision posters and stuck them all around my room and then read them everyday. Do your best in your coursework if you do any. Youtube videos such as the MyGCSEScience ones are really good. I quite liked BBC Bitesize for last minute revision as they have mini tests which I found helpful. And then just do loads of past papers. :smile:
Reply 6
Hi I'm also going into year 11 in September and I also got a C in my maths mock in year 10 and am aiming to get higher in year 11. Just wanted to say good luck to you. :smile:
Reply 7
cheers, thanks for all the help
Original post by aran_kk

I just concluded my gcse's and got an A* in biology, A* in chemistry, A in physics and A in maths. I got this by doing LOADS of past papers! I analysed them and in turn predicted what topics/questions will be on my exam. Also ask teachers for help/stay behind after school. Don't be lazy. Bitesize also helped as well as buying revision books.

Be familiar with your exam board! Maybe get a tutor even
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I did my Maths GCSE a year early (I'm going into year 11 in September) and achieved an A*. I am naturally pretty good at Maths, it's always been my favourite subject, but what my teacher did have us do is do every single past paper since 2006 from about Christmas until the exam. She marked them and got them back to us within about 2 days and then went over badly done questions in class, and if we had extra issues we could ask her.

Past papers are miracle workers when it comes to Maths. It's good enough to know the facts, but doing a past paper helps you to see whether you actually understand what's going on and can apply it to different situations.

Quick Reply

Latest