GCSE re-sit for medicine ?

Hi, I recently received my GCSE results and got:
Biology-A
Physics-A(going to get a remark)
Chemistry-A*
Maths-A*
History-A*
English Literature-A*
English Language-A(going to get a remark)
French-B
History-A*
Art-A

My question is whether or not I should re-sit my french GCSE to try and get an A/A*. I want to do medicine at hopefully a london university and I'm not sure whether or not it's worth studying for a GCSE at the same time as my AS levels.

Also I go to an independent school, so will I be discriminated against because of this (the B)
Those GCSEs are fine, focus primarily on your A levels for they are the most important thing when applying to university, studying a GCSE at the same time will be distracting and unnecessary, if you get good a levels it will be fine :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by krp73
Biology-A
Chemistry-A*
Maths-A*
History-A*
English Literature-A*
French-B
History-A*
Art-A

My question is whether or not I should re-sit my french GCSE to try and get an A/A*. I want to do medicine at hopefully a london university and I'm not sure whether or not it's worth studying for a GCSE at the same time as my AS levels.

Also I go to an independent school, so will I be discriminated against because of this (the B)

You shouldn't waste your time resitting your GCSE french.

Focus on your AS levels, they are way more important!
Reply 3
Original post by 06shawm
You shouldn't waste your time resitting your GCSE french.

Focus on your AS levels, they are way more important!

which uni's wouldn't mind these GCSE results, if A-level grades and UKCAT/BMAT are much better?
Original post by krp73
Biology-A
Chemistry-A*
Maths-A*
History-A*
English Literature-A*
French-B
History-A*
Art-A

Moved to Medicine forum :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MathsNerd1
Moved to Medicine forum :smile:

I would highly suggest searching 'Medicine GCSE requirements' as there are many documents who have the requirements all collated together, and I'm pretty sure most will accept those, provided good a levels are also achieved.
Reply 7
Original post by Charletitia
I would highly suggest searching 'Medicine GCSE requirements' as there are many documents who have the requirements all collated together, and I'm pretty sure most will accept those, provided good a levels are also achieved.

I have, and I also looked at the med stalking pages and for the Uni's I'm thinking of people have loads of A*'s and I don't want to look bad in comparison, and in my school I'm pretty sure the majority get all A*'s
Reply 8
Original post by krp73
which uni's wouldn't mind these GCSE results, if A-level grades and UKCAT/BMAT are much better?

Currently you have 5 A*'s, 4 A's and a B.

After remarks you could potentially have 7 A*'s, 2 A's and a B.

I would say you could pretty much apply anywhere bar Birmingham and Oxford (from what information we have at this stage!).

The problem is that we don't yet have your AS grades, predicted A2's and your UKCAT score. Once you have all these, it will give a much clearer idea on where you should apply.

But so far your on the right track for applying for medicine.

With your GCSE grades as they already are. You would score full marks (18/18) for Liverpool medical school in the GCSE assessment side of the application. They take your top 9 GSCE's. They award 2 points for an A*/A and 1 point for a B.

Applying to medical school involves playing to your strengths to maximise your chance of getting an interview.
Trust me, you could get all As and no A*s and if you ace your A levels it will be fine, A levels overwrite GCSEs, they are your ticket into med school. It's not about looking bad in comparison, a friend of mine got 9A*s and 3As at GSCE and got AABBC at AS.
I got 6A*s and 5As at GCSE and AAAA at AS. Which would you take? It's common sense really.
Reply 10
Original post by 06shawm
Currently you have 5 A*'s, 4 A's and a B.

After remarks you could potentially have 7 A*'s, 2 A's and a B.

I would say you could pretty much apply anywhere bar Birmingham and Oxford (from what information we have at this stage!).

The problem is that we don't yet have your AS grades, predicted A2's and your UKCAT score. Once you have all these, it will give a much clearer idea on where you should apply.

But so far your on the right track for applying for medicine.

With your GCSE grades as they already are. You would score full marks (18/18) for Liverpool medical school in the GCSE assessment side of the application. They take your top 9 GSCE's. They award 2 points for an A*/A and 1 point for a B.

Applying to medical school involves playing to your strengths to maximise your chance of getting an interview.

Thanks, yeah hopefully I'll get at least 1 more A*
Original post by krp73
Thanks, yeah hopefully I'll get at least 1 more A*

No problem. Best of luck with your application. :smile:
Reply 12
Trust me, you could get all As and no A*s and if you ace your A levels it will be fine, A levels overwrite GCSEs, they are your ticket into med school. It's not about looking bad in comparison, a friend of mine got 9A*s and 3As at GSCE and got AABBC at AS.
I got 6A*s and 5As at GCSE and AAAA at AS. Which would you take? It's common sense really.

Thanks, I wasn't actually sure how much more uni's weighed up A-levels in comparison do you think the fact that I go to an independent/private school will make any difference (badly)
I shouldn't think it will make that much of a difference, they will look upon public school applicants (me) a little easier perhaps but won't look at you harder if that makes sense? A large amount of applicants to medicine are going to realistically come from a private school so it's not as if you're the only one.
Reply 14
I shouldn't think it will make that much of a difference, they will look upon public school applicants (me) a little easier perhaps but won't look at you harder if that makes sense? A large amount of applicants to medicine are going to realistically come from a private school so it's not as if you're the only one.

oh ok, thanks yeah I get that, thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending