The Student Room Group

Average cost per week

I'm starting my studies in September at Brunel Uni, where I'll be living on campus. My question is, how much money on average does a student spend per week (food, nights out..)? :smile:
I suppose it depends on many factors, mainly how much of a lightweight you are?

I can go out and get wasted after 3 pints - CHEAP NIGHT OUT!

With regards to food - get all the own brand stuff and you can easily live off £10 a week!

Less on food - more on beer. This is the way forward, trust me!
Reply 2
Original post by JSLockwood
I suppose it depends on many factors, mainly how much of a lightweight you are?

I can go out and get wasted after 3 pints - CHEAP NIGHT OUT!

With regards to food - get all the own brand stuff and you can easily live off £10 a week!

Less on food - more on beer. This is the way forward, trust me!

Would you say that I could easily live on £100 a week? I mean I'd do my own cooking and stuff but I'll still need to buy the groceries + I'd probably go out once or twice a week.

What about freshers week? I've heard it can be quite expensive, any idea how expensive?
I'm a fresher myself, so not sureeee!

£100 on an average week is PLENTY!

Pre-drink before ya go out and there's LOADS of student nights with drink from £1-2
I lived on £50 a week (after rent) last year and will have £45 a week after rent this year so £100 a week is plenty :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Philip6
Would you say that I could easily live on £100 a week? I mean I'd do my own cooking and stuff but I'll still need to buy the groceries + I'd probably go out once or twice a week.

What about freshers week? I've heard it can be quite expensive, any idea how expensive?

I lived on £50 food/recreation costs per week, not including bills, rent or tuition fees - £100 is staggeringly sufficient!
Reply 6
Thanks, was getting a bit worried that £100 a week wouldn't be enough, seems like I'll be able to afford a little more than expected :biggrin:
Check out this student survey with the average overall for student spend.

http://www.savethestudent.org/money/student-money-survey-results.html

Obviously it's an average over the whole country so you could spend more/less but it's a decent guide.
Reply 8
Original post by Philip6
Thanks, was getting a bit worried that £100 a week wouldn't be enough, seems like I'll be able to afford a little more than expected :biggrin:

Are you taking the piss mate? I have to live on a tenner a week because those student finance pricks thought it'd be funny to give me a maintenance loan of only £4000 which basically makes it impossible for me to live.
Reply 9
I was not an average student so this probably won't help you...

But I used to spend like £200 - £300 per week at uni.

All on living lavishly.

...Until my student loan and grant ran out lol! :P
Original post by Philip6
I'm starting my studies in September at Brunel Uni, where I'll be living on campus. My question is, how much money on average does a student spend per week (food, nights out..)? :smile:

Excluding rent and one off costs i spend..

£100 per month on food plus toiletries
£80 per month on travel
£10 per month on mobile
£20 per month on gym
£100 per month on enjoyment
My self imposed ceiling for food, drink and toiletries etc, will be £35 it should be enough to still have nice home made meals and not be left wanting, ideally I should be able to make it around £20 or less.
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21
Excluding rent and one off costs i spend..

£100 per month on food plus toiletries
£80 per month on travel
£10 per month on mobile
£20 per month on gym
£100 per month on enjoyment

£10 per month on mobile? I'll be moving in from Slovenia so not sure what the average mobile costs in the UK are but mine here is 30€. Do you have any advice on mobiles, should I take a contract or is there other ways like pay as you go?
Reply 13
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajd03FS66qc8dDk4ZjJwVUhMeU4zYnRKb1NGcm9wUXc&usp=docslist_api

Here are my outcomes per week
Note that I travel a lot so the £20 a week might not apply to you.

As for phones, pay as you go is okay if you use your phone rarely although contracts vary from £10 to £30 a month depending on what you want.

If you want to keep your phone look at a "giff gaff" sim

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Philip6
£10 per month on mobile? I'll be moving in from Slovenia so not sure what the average mobile costs in the UK are but mine here is 30€. Do you have any advice on mobiles, should I take a contract or is there other ways like pay as you go?

As soon as your contract expires keep the phone and get a sim only plan from 3. If you want a new phone it works out cheaper over 2 years to buy the phone outright and get a cheap sim only. 300 mins, 3000 texts, 1GB data.
Reply 15
Original post by TheNote
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajd03FS66qc8dDk4ZjJwVUhMeU4zYnRKb1NGcm9wUXc&usp=docslist_api

Here are my outcomes per week
Note that I travel a lot so the £20 a week might not apply to you.

As for phones, pay as you go is okay if you use your phone rarely although contracts vary from £10 to £30 a month depending on what you want.

If you want to keep your phone look at a "giff gaff" sim

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Cell contract" ... I lolled

Other than that nice spreadsheet, perhaps the colour scheme could use some work though.

Also does anyone elses mother prepare them curry to take to Uni or is that just me :ninja:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Gouki
"Cell contract" ... I lolled

Other than that nice spreadsheet, perhaps the colour scheme could use some work though.

Also does anyone elses mother prepare them curry to take to Uni or is that just me :ninja:

The colours are so they are clear to me, its more practical than pretty reason.

I can't wait to drop my phone contract xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by TheNote
The colours are so they are clear to me, its more practical than pretty reason.

I can't wait to drop my phone contract xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

For some reason I found it amusing that you referred to your phone as a cell, I had to double check the currency as I saw dollar signs first time round instead of pounds
Reply 18
Original post by Gouki
For some reason I found it amusing that you referred to your phone as a cell, I had to double check the currency as I saw dollar signs first time round instead of pounds

Well its shorter than phone, I normally use phone though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending