The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Is this a thing now?

You don't need to go on courses to get through the interview.
Reply 2
Original post by Armin.
Is this a thing now?

You don't need to go on courses to get through the interview.

It seems there is a course for everything now.
Original post by MissMedical
Hi-can anyone recommend any useful Medical School interview courses that they've been to? Thanks. :smile:

It's a waste of money - honestly, you're better off getting a book (e.g. this) and practising with your friends/family/in front of a mirrior.
This is ridiculous. Medicine applications are about finding the best people for the job, not those with the most money to waste . Practice and research. All med schools want to see is insight and motivation, not coached answers.
Having said that, I just paid for help with my personal statement and it was really worth it (I used UKmeducation) - P.S done and dusted. (Remember that some people have lots of family and friends who are doctors, but I don't have many contacts so it was the most useful thing I had come across - I'm also a postgrad student and the help I got really allowed me to keep my personal statement succinct).
(edited 5 years ago)
Not needed daughter had 4 interviews this year and all were very different. It is difficult to gauge what questions will pop up and being natural will come across a lot better than any manufactured answers
I guess it just depends on how confident you are and how much help you have/need, but for me, the more help I can get, the better and I've already seen the advantages of getting such support.
Reply 8
From our experience, around 90% of what is assessed in medical school interviews can be prepared for.
Topics assessed include a personal assessment, which includes critique of your motivation for medicine and your work experience etc. Some of the harder stations assess your communication skills, especially when in conflict and your ability to show empathy. Medical schools are increasingly using professional actors and media in their assessments. It is possible that your sixth form offers such training - but are they aware of all the current trends? It is possible to see the improvement in scores following medical school interview training, as well as an improvement in confidence, especially in students that can be normally quite reticent. It is not a simple matter of regurgitating coached answers. You will need to learn frameworks that can be used for multiple scenarios that can be put to you, for example in the area of ethics. Even though you may not get the correct answer, you will show the examiner that you have the ability to think through complex scenarios.
Having a doctor in the family, especially one that has experience in medical education is an obvious advantage. You can learn some of these skills from a book, but then you will need to learn how to apply them face to face in an MMI station. Fellow students working together might be useful, but remember they are also your competitors!.

Blue Peanut Medical

Latest

Trending

Trending